Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

ghetto fab swing away input, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default ghetto fab swing away input, please

so I have hit a design snag in my latest project. I want to incorporate the hi lift into my swing away..........but

originally I had planned to make a removable dual jerry holder on the drivers side. but my jack looks better over there....I think.

options
1. just make matching braces on that side and be done.
2. put jack on pass side and continue as planned.
3. put jack on drivers side and do a single jerry option.

what we think? pics 1 and 3 have the jack sitting in place

Attached Thumbnails ghetto fab swing away input, please-tuck-butt-left.jpg   ghetto fab swing away input, please-dsc_9226.jpg   ghetto fab swing away input, please-truck-butt-right.jpg   ghetto fab swing away input, please-truck-butt.jpg   ghetto fab swing away input, please-dsc_9224.jpg  

Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

1st really dig the design of the swing away looks really good. 2nd I would put the high lift on the passenger side. It is up close to the pillar and you don't loose any additional rear visibility in a already limited view.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd put the weight nearer the pivot, on the passenger side.

I like the swing-away tire carrier that bears the weight of the spare on that pivot instead of the rear door hinges. However, I prefer to carry the Hi-Lift inside. I would also consider not carrying one at all. I think Jerry cans are outright stupid, especially for petrol. I don't mean that as an insult at all, just an opinion. I think one of the stupidest things a person can do is to put a can of gasoline on their bumper or even their roof. I don't care if it's a metal one or one of the only slightly better rotopax. I can sort of see justifying it if it was only diesel on an overland vehicle outside the US, but not gasoline. The only acceptable place for gasoline is in the stock tank or a fuel cell. What I would consider a can holder for is water, like a scepter water can. Other good ideas could be an Amerex 2.5 gallon, compressed-air/water fire extinguisher, or possibly a PowerTank.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

thanks and I think you guys are right with the pass side mount......no room inside for jack and I have busted 2 on outside the roof rack mounts....it's either mount it inside the roof rack or on the bumpers, no other options.and.............

I don't like carrying friggin gas cans either, but I don't like walking , for no good reason, even more. so removable carrier makes sense .... leaving them does not. I have only once carried cans and not needed them. I did bust one, in its roof mounted location, from tree encounter. so if I can avoid that...great. I don't carry them when I am cruising the mall lot, for heavies......just when I plan to exit civilization for more than the tank allows. but Bin, if you promise to bring me gas when I call, I will gladly part with the cans. I think they look goofy and are always in the way

Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

looks good. i like the hi-lift on the pass side as well, but i prefer to keep it inside (for rust/theft reasons). i'd add a jerry can mount on the driver's side along with another triangle off of the spare tire mount.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Put one of these in your cargo area: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290108/overview/

You can build a shelf and add 9" tall drawers on each side for tools. Put your other cargo on the shelf above the drawers and cell. Even though it has a check-valve, I'd run the vent tube outside.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by binvanna
Put one of these in your cargo area: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290108/overview/

You can build a shelf and add 9" tall drawers on each side for tools. Put your other cargo on the shelf above the drawers and cell. Even though it has a check-valve, I'd run the vent tube outside.

only way that cell works in my set up is if it takes the spot my cans do. i have to be able to use all 7. roof mounted and feed down the pillar would work, but then i'd have it mounted all the time...even when i don't need it

but those are great if space allows

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I like it on the passenger side. I also see a lot of guys extend the wheel studs and mount it over the tire.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I like it on the passenger side. I also see a lot of guys extend the wheel studs and mount it over the tire.
had that thought, too....toyed with it, but couldn't stay out of my roof rack, due to mounting angle of tire. it is parallel to glass part of door.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I lay the hi lift across the center floor, I just got a safarigard spare tire hi lift mount

I also suggest keeping the weight close to the hinge, leverage sucks and can bend the carrier pretty easy

You also need to brace that tire bracket toward the drivers side

Last edited by TOM R; 12-31-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: ghetto fab swing away input, please