Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

opinions on aftermarket flexi flares

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default opinions on aftermarket flexi flares

I plan to do some trimming, to prevent rubbing. I do not want to lift my truck anymore, happy with the c.o.g. some of the aftermarket flares, that I have seen, look a little janky. some look ok. Anyone with experience on the subject, have any thoughts on which ones look best? I am not looking to fit wider tires, but I am articulating into the fender flare. my truck, currently, sits 2.25" above stock. I am running, just over, 32" tires. I am also running spacers, I think this be the problem, but I like my turning radius, with the spacers. Out to far to tuck, though. I am about to fill my stocking with some 33's and donate my 32's to one of the work trucks.
any thoughts? am I taking the wrong approach?

thanks, in advance, for the overwhelming out pour of help, on the subject.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

My vote is hold off on the Flexi Flares. I say start with an angle grinder and carefully trim the fenders. Its aluminum so it cuts like butter. You can always trim more, can't put the material back on though. A camel cut front and rear is all you really should need. On the front fenders cut the area to the rear. Same for the back.
Make a template out of cardboard so you can make the same angled cut on passenger and drivers sides.
Cut a little and do a test flex. Put a ramp at the front left tire and back right tire, then drive up the ramps. This will cross axle your truck surprisingly well and should give an indication of where you might still rub.
Flexis require a LOT of cutting, probably more than you need. They also aren't a look everybody likes. There have also been quite a few times where if I had Flexis they would have been ripped off. But, I drive like a jackass I'm told.
D2 flares are another option, require less cutting, and look very stock. I also happen to have a set for sale.
But I still say do some very slight trimming. If done well you can't even tell.

FWIW I run 35" tires on 3" RTE springs. I have only trimmed the fenders, no added flares. And no crazy HOLY SH*T WHAT A HACK JOB trimming either. The only place I actually rub now is where the rear floor tub meets the inside of the wheel well. Not much I can do about that.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I am in a d2. that is the problem. couple of weekends ago, I got hung up, got out, looked and rear tire was pushing up on the flare and slightly touching the fender...no way I could stuff an extra 1/2" of tire in there. I suppose I could remove flares, trim, re-install, but I assume I will, eventually, break or rip a flare off. I am regularly rubbing the flare. maybe I just need to extend my stops more?
edit= found old pics

edit= okay, I will stay away from the flares....thanks fish. I will trim a little and extend my stops, even more. and go from there

Last edited by dusty1; 12-13-2013 at 02:49 PM.