Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Powerchip V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powerchip V8

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Just out of curiosity, how many miles on your engine? Also what have you done around your plugs and wires since your rechipping, more voltage will bring up the numbers?
Mike
Just turned 100,000 this morning.

Chipped at 93k or 94k have it some where at the house.

Before I chipped it I changed the wires to the Magnecor 8mm and used the oem double copper spark plugs (RN11YCC).

At 82,000 all the O2 sensors got changed (was due to service manual, said it was time.)
Cleaned the intake all the little things to make sure that everything was in top shape.

Just put a Mantec snorkel over the weekend, exhaust is a high flow.

I work on my vehicles to relax, and so when I travel its all go.

The numbers Hp & Tq are what the chip dealer has down.
The mpg will are ok for the way my LR is setup.

In my mind if a chip will get more Hp & Tq then the OEM setup was
half done, for someone like me.

Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be doing the chip soon since I am sick of it running so rich. Plus as a bonus I would get an extra 2mpg on it.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dmonares

I might be doing the chip soon since I am sick of it running so rich. Plus as a bonus I would get an extra 2mpg on it.

The 2mpg is good but it will take a long to pay off the $ 500.
Its a gear head thing and its fun!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I am actually going to adjust my MAF and Throttle Pot to see if it leans out first. I just checked over the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and everything was fine except for the rich plugs. I figure you cant go wrong with adjusting the MAF since it is free. 1.8V here I come!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I am actually going to adjust my MAF and Throttle Pot to see if it leans out first. I just checked over the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and everything was fine except for the rich plugs. I figure you cant go wrong with adjusting the MAF since it is free. 1.8V here I come!
This got my attention. If you want to get some power out of your older Rover, change to a hotter coil, a set of magnacors and Bosh Platium Plus 4's, a new cap and rotor and a set of O2's. Also go thru and do a good decarbon on the engine.
this will work much better then thrying to tweek the MAF.
Mike

Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Three Wheeling

I already tested my MAF and it was putting out 1.87V so I think it is close enough, besides I cannot find any adjustment screw anywhere.

Mike, I just wanted to lean it out since it is running very rich. I'm gonna probably start off with some seafoam and see if cleaning the injectors works. I am really tired of the horrible gas mileage (about 10mpg if we are lucky).

Old 08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I already tested my MAF and it was putting out 1.87V so I think it is close enough, besides I cannot find any adjustment screw anywhere.

Mike, I just wanted to lean it out since it is running very rich. I'm gonna probably start off with some seafoam and see if cleaning the injectors works. I am really tired of the horrible gas mileage (about 10mpg if we are lucky).
So back to what I was saying before, leaning it out won't improve your mileage, start by improving how your engine runs.
Cleaning out injectors, unless they are just about dead, won't lean you out, may/will run better but it will also allow a better stream of fuel to flow, giving you more gas.
You have to make that engine run better with less throttle pressure, hence better mileage.
Mike

Old 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling

makes sense, I added some seafoam this morning and asked my wife to drive it to work. Next on the list is some O2 sensors if the seafoam doesnt work.

I am of course going to test them first.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Good game plan, how old are your plug wires and are you still running the originail coil? If your wires have over 30,000 miles on them and they are the 7mm size, I would get rid of them going to 8mm Magnacors and a hotter coil.
How about your timing chain, has it been replaced? If not you might want to put the engine on a scope and see if you have alot of timing slop from a loose chain.
Mike

Old 08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Plugs and wires are new, the coil has been replaced probably within the last 20,000 miles. I havent checked the timing yet since I will have to go out and buy a new light.

Quick Reply: Powerchip V8