Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Powerchip V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powerchip V8

ORIGINAL: v8girl

If it doesn't deliver the performance you're after, rangerovers.net is carrying an advertisement on the front page for a similar product which will. My Trek97 which has been modified. Tigs

[IMG]local://upfiles/5222/7711EDAEA2A243DCB6C286FCAC0A5AB7.jpg[/IMG]
You will have fun.
This is the land of the V8's so you will be at home.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I'm new here. I live in Cairo-Egypt andI'm driving a 1994 Discovery V8auto transmission with little mods:
*old man emu 2 inch suspension lift
*replaced the cooling fan with an electrical one

It's very hard to find good mechanics that work on them here in Egypt and the dealer didn't help me out the way I expected.
I'm facing the same problem with gas, the car make 9.5mpg, so what do I need to check/do??

Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any documentation out there on replacing the coil and wires?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Mudding

i wanna get it now damn it

Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM
TReK

Bump

Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Landzu
Powerchip did say that if I used the power wide open
I would get less mpgs I was for warned.
But I like the power and I did not buy my Disco
for the mileage.
Companies like Powerchip don't really do any real investigation to find the best fuel map for your car. They simply richen the mixture on the whole map...a simple task. That will give you a fuel smell on idle but at mid-range, where all manufacturers are forced to run lean these days, the enrichement CAN do a lot of good, especially for your vehicle. It will run better, more effectively and cooler from 2000-3000 and that is great for the money you spent. It will also protect your engine.

You could do much better than that, but you only get what you pay for. The ultimate in rechipping is a chip programmed for your car only on a dyno with the best fuel expert for your vehicle. After that, the best (or better) is a chip from the same guy made for all vehicles of your specific type. After that you get to the Powerchip types and then lastly to the companies who simply play with an input signal or two to falsely richen the fuel delivery at certain points
Since the vehicle is running dangerously lean anyway at the midrange..causing the incredible rash of cracked blocks and dislodged liners over the last few years, I am for anything that could help and 90% of the the chips do. But there is a wide range of help quality standards out there. The best, of course, are from the UK where the engines are made. I don't go ex-America for the best tuning solutions for American engines either.

On ignition improvements like fatter supressant wires and better plugs, that can work to deliver a better steadier spark. But changes must be done with a bit of understanding of the effect. A better coil and better wires, if they still go through a Lucas distributor will still deliver a degraded spark. For that matter, the best spark in the world will only steady your combustion,. it will not make it more powerful. That is like saying the bigger the match the bigger the fuel-soaked bonfire it will light.

On whether you need fatter 8mm wires..Magnecor will tell you don't and they are right. http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm Call them and they will be more frank. Of course, if you are constructing a racing engine and ignition, their fatter choices are prudent.

Be reasonable with all this flushing and cleaning. You may be degunking (a bit) the innards of old engines, but you are also stripping them of their surface anti-friction and gunk-produced higher compression. If you do a flush, add anti-friction additives immediately after. I have seen more hassles created by an engine flush and the wrong oil after these days than anything else.

James

Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
TReK

Thanks Bartell

In the U.S. there is nothing to help Rover V8'.
I would love to get a roller cam and lifters better intake.

I have 110,000 miles now so I'm starting to look a what I
can find over the next year.

I have a motor builder that I have used over the last 20 years,
but finding the right parts to make the motor run and last
is the hard part.

Do you know of any part supplier that could make a 4.0 better
or 4.6 Gems motor work better.

There is a motor builder on the east coast here but they just
use oem parts and rework them.

Thank.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
ajh
Winching

Could you post your dyno graphs before and after? 'feeling' is really subjective and placebo effect has been proven over and over to sell products.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Landzu
Thanks Bartell
In the U.S. there is nothing to help Rover V8'.
I would love to get a roller cam and lifters better intake.
If you restrict yourself to the US, it will be difficult to get a nice match. I would suggest you stay with the rocker sysetm you have and look for other, less beyond-the-pale solutions with a solid track record.
ORIGINAL: Landzu I have 110,000 miles now so I'm starting to look a what I can find over the next year. I have a motor builder that I have used over the last 20 years, but finding the right parts to make the motor run and last is the hard part. Do you know of any part supplier that could make a 4.0 better or 4.6 Gems motor work better.
Sure! First tell me what you want in the way of performance (torque) and add what driving you like best. Then I have to know whether you want ONLY US sources, because that will mean we have to find American distributors of the right UK stuff (no problem, just more expensive). Then you need a local engine builder and I will give you/they the instructions. You will be surprised how inexpensive it all is no matter what route you take.

James

Old 11-24-2007, 03:12 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: ajh

Could you post your dyno graphs before and after? 'feeling' is really subjective and placebo effect has been proven over and over to sell products.
I understand that "feeling" is very subjective.
Let me put it this way. You have had aRover for years and then
something changes you know its better and like the change, so
do you measure it if you arehappy?

I never dynoed it before and have no need to dyno it to see
numbers I know it feels better and for me thats all I need.

I have seen the fuel numbers and that changed so I know that
the chip is doing something.
I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Powerchip V8