Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Range Rover Camper - Cooling Mod Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Range Rover Camper - Cooling Mod Suggestions

I am taking my 1995 RRC LWB camper conversion on a big road trip starting in May. Currently the rig is having some over-heating problems on days over 75 on big climbs due to the added weight and air resistance of the camper. I have rigged the windshield fluid to pump water from my on board storage tank (40 gallons) and spray the radiator down. It works great, but is stressful from both a water capacity standpoint and having to nervously monitor the temperate gauge (not to mention holding the spray button down for the entire climb. It is so far only on big hills in the 40-50 mph range.

I've read the threads on the electrical fan mods but they all seem to come to the conclusion that they do no assist with highway speeds... although I still think an electrical setup could be modified to be superior, just not sure I have the time to engineer such a solution.

What options are suggested to cure a highway overheating problems here? Should I spent $800 on a four-core all copper rebuild? The radiator in there now is a fairly new dual core. Has anyone succeeded with an electrical set-up?

As a mechanical engineer with an automotive background, I am surprised to see so many failed threads on this topic here... cooling is usually a fairly easy problem to cure with a bigger/better radiator or modifying the fan system... maybe the cooling problem just hasn't been big enough to cause much effort in the field. Just looking to not waste money not fixing the problem here. I also would like to get a couple mountain bikes in the front of the rig which will inhibit airflow even more at highway speeds. So I'd like to find something which is over-kill to allow for that as well.

More photos on instagram at @roverlife if you're interested!

Thanks in advance! ..And greetings from a long time modified Subaru enthusiast (and forum junky). I am absolutely blown away at how incredible this rig is off-road. Suspension and drivetrain are some of the nicest I've experienced! Engine is great too for a '95, just need to solve this overheating issue before I head into much warmer climates!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (11-21-2018)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Great pictures and awesome RRC love to see you post up some more

Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Sweet truck!
i have this problem with my D2.
An allisport radiator is in my future.

With my D2, my transmission also heats up and starts to bake the engine.

have you considered a beefier radiator and transmission cooler?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

https://www.allisport.com/shop/perfo...lloy-radiator/

Allisport is good stuff and claims 40% improved cooling over stock. They'll build it to your requirements as well so they can add fans, extra trans and oil coolers etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Overlanding

Thanks all ... will be contacting allsport ASAP! Transmission cooler was next on my list!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Any info on your camper mod? I've been looking into putting a pop top on a LWB but this is way more useful.
I have a family of 4 to drive around so would need to figure out how to retain the 2nd row seats without creating a massive rear overhang.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Overlanding

I really need to put together a camper build thread for you all... will work on that soon. Have to dig up old photos. It's no easy task and certainly there is no turning back once you cut the roof off the thing. The basics are removing the roof and welding in a support structure to bolt the camper to. Then run all the plumbing and electrical. I really need to work on a roll bar next for my build. Removing the roof really killed all my roll-over safety structure.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Looks like you might still have room to put an external hoop around the windscreen and down the B Pillar, or is it too cramped ?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit that is pretty darn cool! Once you get the kinks worked out I'm sure that it will be a reliable and fun ride for you in any kind of weather. Not to mention the luxury of camping in your own rig rather than a mosquito/spider infested tent!

Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Overlanding

Robert .. should have room for an external hoop ... may even plug up some of the air gap I have between the camper and the roof! Per your question earlier... I do have two side facing seats with seat belts in the back of the camper as it is currently configured. So I can fit 4 passengers. Check out more photos at: www.instagram.com/roverlife
I will be putting in a new radiator and tranny cooler here shortly and posting results.

Thanks CM ... this rig is pretty incredible off-road. Wish I had some footage of the climb we did last weekend.. sloppy and steep! But it was 2am, raining and muddy. Done some pretty tough off road trails with this setup and the thing just climbs like a goat!

Quick Reply: Range Rover Camper - Cooling Mod Suggestions