Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Roof rack reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack reviews?

I'm going to be looking for a full roof rack and ladder, probably as a Christmas present to myself.

I'm a photographer, and an incipient iReporter, so my goal is to find something that I can stand up on, with maybe 10-15 pounds of tripod and camcorder.

I weigh about 240.

Yeah, I know: lose weight. :-)

I've seen the ratings in the Owner Handbook for how much weight you can put on a roof rack... and yet I see roof tents.

How much weight -- in addition to the rack itself, course -- can you *really* safely put atop a non-moving Disco? Which rack? What decking?

I do plan on some lights, and other assorted crap; static loading will probably be the rack itself plus 10-15 pounds.

Last edited by Baylink; 11-05-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you need this http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9340.cfm
and this http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC8125OE.cfm
and some chicken coop flooring so you can walk around safely. like this

Name:  060.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  142.8 KB

Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

The rack you link is not a two-level like yours, which I'd prefer...

Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM

if you want the one with two levels you need either a safety devices rack which they dont make so you will have to get used. or you can get a rack from http://www.roverracks.com/DIIVR.htm I like the one for $1200 they look very similar to the SD racks.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Overlanding
Default BajaRack makes Land Rover racks

Another option for a split-level roof rack is BajaRack, They make roof racks for D1, D2, RRC and LR3. They offer both low and high profile roof racks for the Discos. BajaRack just came out with their Land Rover line so you won't find them on their website, http://www.bajarack.com

I purchased one of the low-profile D2 racks last week. It weighs about 70 lbs yet is quite stout. I weigh around 200 lbs and when I stand on top, I don't notice any flexing in the rack.

You might want to Google and check on the history of Rover Racks and NWP. As for the SD rack, some think it's the definitive rack for Discos. However I know of several that cracked so I looked elsewhere and found BajaRack. The link below shows two (2) SD racks that cracked.

http://www2.expeditionexchange.com/f...ght=difference

I've attached some pictures of BajaRack's low-profile D2 rack.

Attached Thumbnails Roof rack reviews?-dscn2501.jpg   Roof rack reviews?-dscn2482.jpg   Roof rack reviews?-dscn2490.jpg   Roof rack reviews?-dscn2473.jpg   Roof rack reviews?-dscn2474.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The roof rack loading figures are generally assuming you're driving with that weight.
For static loading, i.e. while you're taking photos, I wouldn't hesitate to put 500lbs on my SD rack, or an equally well built one.
For what you have in mind, I'd think a single level rack would suit you better.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by antichrist
The roof rack loading figures are generally assuming you're driving with that weight.
For static loading, i.e. while you're taking photos, I wouldn't hesitate to put 500lbs on my SD rack, or an equally well built one.
For what you have in mind, I'd think a single level rack would suit you better.

which is why i suggested what i did on my first post.... me myself i would like a tiered rack. the only thing that gets me is like the baja rack is the mounts don't line up like the SD racks do.... the SD racks just look perfect.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Rock Crawling

My concerns, Tom, are part function and part looks, as are most people's. The Baja actually looks pretty sharp, to me, as well as professional, in the details I can see in the pictures.

I see the coverage Yubert's talking about concerning the middle-aged Roverracks; the closeups I see on their website -- not to mention the website itself -- do look a bit amateurish to me.

I'm not in any rush; I may wait for my pitch on an SD. Why did they stop making them, anyway? (With a much publicized and romanticized "final (re-)run"?)

Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling

On a related question: I'm considering the idea of running just 2 #8 power wires up to the roof with a strand or two of Cat-5, and putting a relay pack on the rack; anyone ever done it that way?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
7th Gear
Default chicken coop flooring

Where did you get the flooring material? I have been looking for something to cover my SD rack, to keep from damaging the sunroofs.

Quick Reply: Roof rack reviews?