Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

RPi Chipping V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RPi Chipping V8

I though I would start a new Post for RPi chipping or re-mapping of my ECU.

My Power chip that I have would ONLY adjust the timing it would only use more fuel if I used my foot.

The RPi chip will have the timing chip and the fuel chip replaced.

Why go from one that worked?

Where I live we have to use a 10% Ethanol fuel and with the PowerChip with out the fuel chip having been re-mapped I had a loss of power and fuel economy.

With out Ethanol the Powerchip worked.

I was told about RPi from a Land Rovershophere in Dallas and they have used them for their own Rovers and customers Rovers with good results.

I stayed with my Powerchip for about 2 years.
Now that I building a preformance motor I was told that the software that Rover had in the ECU's would not work with upgrades and may go into limp mode as the ECU would try to enforce the OEM settings.

I have found that with the ECU not reading things that give other cars and trucks better mileage,has reinforced that what I was told was right.

So to make sure everything works together I have sent my ECU to RPi in the U.K.

The cost the Powerchip was $500 U.S.D the RPi chipping is 695 G.B.P. so over twice the cost.

Can I justify the cost , No not at this time,, but that would be like saying how do you justify driving a Land Rover a something cheaper I can't.

As my ECU is returned and I install it with my stock motor and then change to my performance motor and will keep updating this post.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RPi Chipping V8

ORIGINAL: Landzu

I though I would start a new Post for RPi chipping or re-mapping of my ECU.
I am very interested in your impressions. I know the fellow (Mark Adams) that programmed those chips (the Tornado, the Optimax [for Hotwires] and the GEMS set you have) very well. We have used him to tailor chips for years.

The difference between Powerchip and the "Adams family" of LR chips is the difference between you-know-what and shinola.

However, remember that GEMS has a learning curve, so be patient. If you have any problems, there is this guy called Ian at Rpi that is very helpful on the stock Adams chips.

James

Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 AM
TReK

Idid talk to Ian before I sent my ECU in and have e-mailed him a few times.

Lisa at RPi helped with my cam and other partsfor the motor that I'm getting done.

Its nice to hear from someoneelsethat has first hand information
Thanks James.

I think that in a week or two from now I will have the ECU back and update everyone.

The down time gives me the time to do the little things I need to get done on the Disco.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
TReK

I just received a e-mail on 05/24/08 and RPi will send mu ECU back on the 25th, and should have it on 05/30/08

I sent the ECU in on 05/05/08 so 26 days without my Disco I'm having withdraw.

Cost has been $1358.25 and $99.50 to unlock the Land Rover over wright of the ECUplus $24.00 import tax shipping to UK $165.00 from UK $70.00, then money exchange has been about $25.00 and maybe import tax with the ECU coming back.

The best thing is that when my performance motor is done the ECU will be able to handle the upgrades with out going into limp mode.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
TReK

FedEx called today my ECU is in the US they sent paper work
that I had to fill out.

The paper work was from HomeLand Security Bureau of Customs and Border.

ALL I want is MY ECU for my Disco !!!!!!!!!

I have to laugh,, FedEx said it was the cost of the package.
I called Land Rover to find out how much a ECU cost and with the software to insure it andits worth more than my Disco would sell for,, dam its hard to be a Gear Head sometimes.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM
TReK

The ECU is back and installed.
It was 24 days round trip so if someone has a daily driver
it would not be possibleto do with out a second ECU.

I'm going to put about 500 miles on it this weekend just to check it out.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
TReK

Post problems

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 AM
TReK

I did not drive my Disco over the last weekend due to the 30 to 40 mph winds.

All my drivinghas been in town.

What I have found is that The ECU does have to learn what the motor is doing.
When I started out the motor would change RPM by as much as 300rpm up and down with the AC on,, after a 100 miles or so this stopped.
My in town mileage has been 12.6 mpg with the AC on.

The things thatI have seen different than my Power Chip is
on take off from a light both would got rid of the dead spot that happened a about 20mph but the new re-mapping is giving more of a boost after the 20mph shift.

This is all I have found at this time.

This weeked I will be putting on a new Y-pipe with high flow Cats and new O2 sensors that may change the outcome a little.

But as most people say here that exhaust will not help a Rover,, we will see.
My O2 sensors got changed at 82,000 miles as needed by LR so they should not make to much difference as they had 35,000 miles on them.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
TReK

Ok here is a base line to start with.
PRE Ethanol. All ethanol is 10%

PowerChip intown 14 mpg/ hwy 16 to 17 mpg.(No ethanol)

OEM chip intown 12.6 mpg/ hwy 16 mpg (No ethanol)

RPi chipsintown 12.6 mpg with AC hwy mpgunknown at
this time.(with Ethanol)

My other mileage readings did not have the AC on and I had to go back to my other post to make sure that I had my numbers right.
I would like to have readings with out the AC but its been over a hundred already.

The OEM chip was 12.4 to 12.8 mpg so 12.6 avg mpg in town with the re-mapping from RPi with the AC on and ethanolI have been getting the same mileage and have more go power.

The PowerChip has gotten the best mileage so far until the ethanol came then 11 mpg intown and 14.5mpg hwy the speed I drove did not matter.

When I put the OEM chip back in I started getting 12.2 to 12.4mpg with the ethanol BUT no AC.
OEM chip hwy was 15 to 16 mpg the speed did matter.

The testing is on going with RPi re-mapping but so far ethanol has not seamed to make much difference in town but for the AC I can only think I would get better mileage.

I have stated that I do not care what mileage I get (within
reason) I want the power,,most people have said that Chipping / Re-mapping will get you less mileage, from my findings that is false.

If you drive like you did before the ECU re-mappingI have found that you get better.
Ethanol has been the wild card in this.
With the PowerChip not adding fuel and just adding more timing the decrease in mileage is understandable with ethanol.
With the OEM (LR) setup the motor runs rich with less timing
advance so with ethanol better mileage thanthe PowerChip.

More next week.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
TReK

Towed a trailer last weekend it came in at 4000 LBS for about 1/3 rd of my mileage on that tank of fuel and got 11.99 mpg.

Thats not much of a drop from my 12.6 mpg city, the trailer was city also.

Quick Reply: RPi Chipping V8