Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Serious 5.9 cummins discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious 5.9 cummins discussion

I have in my possession a 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 with the Allison 6 speed transmission. Everything works flawlessly and it's been a ranch truck for 14 years. I'm asking.... And I understand, what I'm asking. Can I take the engine, ECU, tranny, replace my driveshafts and keep my HD Dana axles and make it work with my 04 discovery II? I have the truck and I only ask now because I have a high probability of getting a large settlement after a car wreck that "totaled" my discovery from body damage. It's getting out of the shop and I've been looking at this question and what seems logical to me is if you happened to have a complete other vehicle it might work in the US. I mean I don't use anyhow in the discovery that the dodge doesn't have, and, radio, and so on. So would this work? Would it fit? I understand the weight and I know it would lose slot of ability off-road. But this would be for a reliable mostly on road vehicle. Can this work? This year I will end up being able to afford a 80s defender 90 and that will bet true off roader, this project is more to keep a great dodge truck alive, along with my salvage titled disco 2. How much would it cost to fit everything together? If you have insight please chime in!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

anything is possible. however, judging by the amount of exclamation points in your post (and the fact that the trans is a NV5600, not an allison) i can tell this is something far above your ability. no offense.

the best way to swap the motor would be to chop out the motor/trans parts of the rover wiring, but you'll still throw codes. idk what texas law is but you'll have a very hard time making this street legal, IF you can fit the motor and trans in the thing. and im not sure what axles are in there, i think its a CAD unit bearing 60 and FF 70 out back... not the best choice of front axle and the rear is extra huge.

there are a lot of other specifics, but it just seems like a silly swap. that motor and trans will fetch a pretty penny on craigslist... just sell those and send the rest of the truck to the scrapyard.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do some serious measuring. If I'm looking in the right places.

1. I get the LR V8 is 33.189 inches long back to front of fan. The Cummins appears to be 37-38: to front of fan. That's 4 to 5 inches longer, meaning how will it fit?

2. Then you get weight. The LR V-8 is about 320 pounds, the Cummins is 1,100 pounds. That would take some Super HD Springs to say the least, not to mention the ill effect on handling.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Three Wheeling

I've looked into a swap like this. If you've got the time, attitude a friendly machine shop and the parts.... go for it.

Realize you will basically gut EVERYTHING from the Rover and start from scratch. A chap from England married a 5.9 Cummins to his stock ZF, but that doesn't mean it's the right path to take. You'll wind up cutting into your front grill area due to the length of the engine, custom radiator and electric fans, those will be mandatory modifications. The weight is an easy fix, get HD springs, increase tire size and think about performance Rotors to stop all that.

It can be done, time, effort and a hardware store close by. Just do it. you've got the parts!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Find a cummins 4bt, mate it upto the 6 speed and you should be all set.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys
I regard there types of projects as a waste of time & effort in the ultimo; good perhaps for an experiment to prove you can do it but with little regards as the whether the differential input torque spec can handle the power ouput at peak torque .
That not withstanding the frame mounts and sections where the engine/complete power pack is to be married into the vehicle can withstand the forces generated at peak torque? Basically point loads on a beam calculus and torsional forces exerted upon the frame sections.

In the ultimo ask yourself will the vehicle be better in every way with your proposed conversion than the standard vehicle. If you make a check list on pro's and con's with estimates on heat rejection, stabilized bulk liquid temperatures and overall useability. Will the vehicle be uncontrollable especially on adverse conditions.
Do you want to do this on the public highway?

The Landrover is a light duty category vehicle and the Dodge is close to a medium duty and the 5.9 Cummins rig certainly is !
If you want something usable look at an MB 2.7 in a Dodge Sprinter van with the Nag1 transmission and LR close coupled t/case. Very useable.
T/V

Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

I've swapped a 1.8T VW engine into a 2001 Ford Focus. Now I'm swapping in a 302v8 into a 2000 Ford Focus.

That being said....I would love to see you finish a cummins swap! In fact, I will tell you to do it and don't listen to anyone that says "that doesn't make sense..." or "waste of time..." etc. Because in the end, none of that matters. What matters is YOU did it. Everyone in the LandRover world will know it if you get it running. Go for it!

Now, what ever your budget is, be sure to at least double it. And don't expect to be done in a year.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

well the first gen focus was built to accept a RWD drivetrain. the disco was never built with an 1100lb, 3 and a half ft long motor in mind.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all the input guys! I will probably end up not using the 5.9 and going with a lighter choice for the disco II and just buying a disco I for my off-road shenanigans! It's looking like for an American the Benz TD is the most tried and true application. I have gone through most of the normal ideas but when it comes to the disco II it starts getting confusing on what will really be doable! Easiest seems to be a TD5 if i could find one. With the 5.9 cummins the parts would be easy and any shop could work on it, that and it's a engine I have complete faith in. But it looks like scratch that plan, id rather keep as much LR products that I can.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Mudding

Nuf said on that!