Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]

Hey Guys,

I have a "2001 Disco 2" that I purchased last Fall. After recently discovering the benefits of a locking diff. I've been scared to check if I had the "nipple". (this nipple is actually and threaded part that sticks out from the top of the diff. just behind the front drive shaft) The fear is that I didn't have it, and I would in turn have an inferior D2.

Yesterday I checked....

YES! YES! YES! It was there!!!

My 2001 D2 was actually off the assembly line in 10/00, before they started leaving out this mechanism in early 2001. Below is some info that I found for those also wondering about their 2001 Disco.

So FYI

--To determine if you have the option to enable the diff lock you must find out if your transmission has a 41D or 42D prefix on its serial number.
-- The Ford motor company are the ones that changed the shifter to remove the extra linkage to reduce production costs. (thumbs down to Ford)
-- April of 2001 is the earliest date that I found that this mechanism was missing.
-- When a CDL kit is intaller there is a way to have the following AWD options.. CDL with Traction Control (TC)... TC alone... and CDL alone
(this is done by cutting the appropriate wire to your SLABS ECU)-- From my research this wire cut is not required for the 2003 Model... Only 2000 and 2001.
Reference Step 20:
http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

Now... I'm wondering what is the best kit for replacing my current High/low range shifter?

Ashcroft?
D1 Type?
New Disco D2 2004?
Others?

Last edited by Dean; 05-24-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

go with a cable mounted shifter less vibration and less linkage to bind-up an 04, Ashcroft, ebay (I got a Ashcroft copy from a guy in Poland on ebay). for like $249.00 came complete.

Attached Thumbnails CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]-1205111639.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean
Hey Guys,

I have a "2001 Disco 2" that I purchased last Fall. After recently discovering the benefits of a locking diff. I've been scared to check if I had the "nipple". (this nipple is actually and threaded part that sticks out from the top of the diff. just behind the front drive shaft) The fear is that I didn't have it, and I would in turn have an inferior D2.

Yesterday I checked....

YES! YES! YES! It was there!!!

My 2001 D2 was actually off the assembly line in 10/00, before they started leaving out this mechanism in early 2001. Below is some info that I found for those also wondering about their 2001 Disco.

So FYI

-- If your serial number starts with "SALTY" there is a good chance that you will also have a center locking diff. on your 2001
-- The Ford motor company are the ones that changed the shifter to remove the extra linkage to reduce production costs. (thumbs down to Ford)
-- April of 2001 is the earliest date that I found that this mechanism was missing.
-- When a CDL kit is intaller there is a way to have the following AWD options.. CDL with Traction Control (TC)... TC alone... and CDL alone
(this is done by cutting the appropriate wire to your SLABS ECU)

Now... I'm wondering what is the best kit for replacing my current High/low range shifter?

Ashcroft?
D1 Type?
New Disco D2 2004?
Others?
Well then thumbs up to them when they added it back in 03, then completely in 04.

Also you don't need to cut any wires to have those options of 4wd settings.

Ashcroft is the best, then 03-04 cable, then D1. Alternatively the GBR one is pretty awesome.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, why waste your money on a "kit" when you can go to the bone yard and get early Disco unit and install it for $100.00. These kits are a rip off period. Just my opinion and its your money.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or can always make one if you have time and save $$$$.

Its been awhile, but for my dads i remember what i made involved threaded rod and a flexi socket extension with a socket/nut welded on the end. then just a simple **** in the cab for turning.
Maybe not as nice looking as incorporated in the shifter, but for $10~ in parts, i didn't care. Plus its really solid/simple, not really anything to break.

Attached Thumbnails CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]-img-20110327-00155.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MuddMouth
Again, why waste your money on a "kit" when you can go to the bone yard and get early Disco unit and install it for $100.00. These kits are a rip off period. Just my opinion and its your money.
Because the kits are nicer, not rusty or corroded, easier to use and install, and don't require modification of the linkage to install.

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 05-23-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Having a Salty vinn, does not mean you have a CDL case, production date is always the first thing, then crawl under and look.
Also, you do not have to cut any wires to come up with any CDL options. The only time you ever get into wire cutting is if you replace or modify or replace a t/case on an 03.
Also, they were not added back on any 03, it was only on 04 models.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Having a Salty vinn, does not mean you have a CDL case, production date is always the first thing, then crawl under and look.
Also, you do not have to cut any wires to come up with any CDL options. The only time you ever get into wire cutting is if you replace or modify or replace a t/case on an 03.
Also, they were not added back on any 03, it was only on 04 models.
They were on all 03 TREK models.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Because the kits are nicer, not rusty or corroded, easier to use and install, and don't require modification of the linkage to install.

It only takes about 2 minutes to add the linkage to connect it and about another 2-3 hrs to install.
As far as being nicer... I don't know about that... they maybe but for a savings of a couple of hundred bucks I think most will deal with a little corrosion.

Your also associated with a vendor of Rover products and are always gonna push the sale of these over priced items. Little bias I think.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Whether or not I'm part of a company selling the parts is irrelevant, the benefit is obvious. I understand how some people like you don't see the value, but it's very obvious to someone like me who's bought a kit. I'm not trying to push the Ashcroft kit, the Ashcroft knock off posted earlier is a great buy. Also GBR's kit is very well made. You can do things the right way or the cheap way, they both do the job but one is clearly superior.

Quick Reply: CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]