Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

vinyl wrap.....going to do it. any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default vinyl wrap.....going to do it. any advise?

so my panels look like a cross between etch o sketch art and a failed polygraph read out.
the whole drivers side is smashed from front to back..(big rock and a broken axle)
i bought to whole side of panels and began replacing last night......
it's not a good match. the new stuff is either faded or not the same silver...(my guess is no match, but my paint has nearly no fade...so who knows)

I have decided to vinyl wrap for several reasons. the main one is that i can replace sections as damage occurs, in the future. i only want to do this if i can diy. i got some quotes from shops that were decent , but 3k is a lot to pay for something that will get damaged, nearly immediately. so, i want to be able to replace sections myself.

so my research is telling me that the absolute best product is 3m 1080.
its pressure activated with air release. 9yr hold from fade is outside.
supposedly the easiest diy stuff.
does this sound right? did i overlook anything?

also, i am nearly certain that i want either matte grey/gray (i will never know how to best spell that color) or matte military green. any thoughts on this is appreciated too.

the best deal i am finding is metrowrap on ebay. if anyone knows of a better deal, please share.

mil green

grey

Last edited by dusty1; 02-10-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Plasti-dip.

If you go wrap be patient and take your time. To me the dip was a better deal and its durable. With a little talent its even repairable.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Head to toe camo

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (10-15-2016)
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I like plasti dip...I use it on my wheels on 2 other trucks. I have repaired it on there.
problem is the way it peels. I spayed one of my work trucks, for testing purposes, last summer. if I didn't repair immediately it would quickly become a bigger peel off. plus the only way I have been able to come up with a color that I like, is to plastidip and while the final coat is still tacky, paint with a lacquer that I choose.
also,the thought of painting is too sad. I know It would look like it does now, after a year.
either of those options would be great if I didn't plan on damage.

I had decided to line-x the whole thing, even set up an appointment to get it done. after messing with a line-x bumper.....out on that too. cancelled the idea and the appointment. maybe it was the primer, but it was as easy to peel that, as skinning a hog. (not an analogy)

so vinyl is fosho the way I am going. hood/roof/tailgate should be a non issue with damage and the need to replace. the bottom of my panels are checker plate so that helps. these are also pretty flat so it should be easy enough.

about to pull the buy it now trigger on 3m 1080 matte dark gray.....like pictured on the rangie.
I still think that is the best product. but this is based on web research......no experience, at all.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

that color is camo.........from dusk till dawn.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasti- dip....stuff is amazing I don't have any experience with the vinal wrap, but the plasti- dip on my hood has healed up well.

I've had it on scene the beginning of the summer till now, good in the hot temps and I've chipped off ice and snow from this snowy winter we've had. My brother did the same hood black out on his 94 RRC, the dip is sticking well and absolutely no peeling.

I also did my blinkers, gas cap, side trim and rims, all holding up very well.

I've got a video up on you tube

Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Of the 2 colors my vote is grey. I get a vote right?

I can tell you I helped a friend do his M3 in 3m 1080 about 2 yrs ago in all carbon fiber and it looked sick. He has since sold the car, but I will try to see if he has a pic or 2. You might consider a full CF hood or insert. Or go nuts and do the whole rig in CF.

As for the install it takes patience and practice. It's not that hard to work with, but you will find sometimes the simplest little curve will drive you nuts. This wrap is tough, so if you don't panic you can move it around and get great results. Watch EVERY video you can. I'll see if I still have the links that helped me out. And get extra wrap and practice on some odd shaped bits. And no I don't mean your head.

As for Gray or Grey... I F that up all the time too or do we? >Gray vs. grey - Grammarist

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Meh making a color is easy Dusty. Just use clear base and pick a automotive grade pearl you like it colors the dip perfectly. That's how I've done the colors I've put on the MGB. Next week there will be a thread about helping pick the 110 color..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

nice. the mgb colors always look good.....I should have said sheen I like, not color.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy with a Prelude wrapped in a metallic blue 3M vinyl. He did it himself and unless you really look hard you can't tell its vinyl.

Quick Reply: vinyl wrap.....going to do it. any advise?