Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Volo Gas Saver "Experiment"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i might S#$! my self if my rover went more then 250 Miles on a tank. 350 is wayyyy nice! God i just love disco 1s!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Mudding
Default No VOLO increases?

I installed a Volo FS1 800 miles ago and have seen no difference at all in fuel economy. I average 12.5 mpg getting me 240-260 miles per tank. I had read on the forum it takes 500 miles for Volo to start working so I gave it that much but still don't see any gains. I have reset the chip once at 600 miles which didn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDubs
I installed a Volo FS1 800 miles ago and have seen no difference at all in fuel economy. I average 12.5 mpg getting me 240-260 miles per tank. I had read on the forum it takes 500 miles for Volo to start working so I gave it that much but still don't see any gains. I have reset the chip once at 600 miles which didn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas?
NOT TRYING TO BE AN A$$ : but did you confirm the wiring to make sure you have the right pin setup? The directions were a little confusing and I almost goofed up when installing mine.

I noticed a difference in the idle the first time I started it up once the chip programmed, and then saw mileage gains right away....my first few tanks I got an average of 360 miles (90% highway driving)....since then I have added a roof rack and it is mainly used for city driving so I am back down to 12-14 mpg.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM
TReK

If you continue to not see any gains after you've confirmed everything, you may want to call the company and see if they'll send you another one, or give you a refund.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Mudding

Yeah it's connected using the iso protocol and all lights are functioning properly, my driving habits are identical to pre-installation so I guess I'm left to call the company for a new one, oh well.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 AM
4th Gear

ylodiscoII, first thanks so much for all of the information. I have a 2003 Disco II HSE and was looking into that Volo Chip thing, but I'm so scared to install it myself. It looks like I have to cut the wires and my husband is flipping out that I'm even considering doing it (we are both not electric-type people ) (lol)...any tips on where I can take it to have it installed? Also, I hope I don't sound too ignorant but what's the resonator and how do I turn it off??? THanks. :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 AM
4th Gear
Default Volo

On the website I see FS3 and most of you have been mentioning the FS1...is there a difference?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by 3rennie
ylodiscoII, first thanks so much for all of the information. I have a 2003 Disco II HSE and was looking into that Volo Chip thing, but I'm so scared to install it myself. It looks like I have to cut the wires and my husband is flipping out that I'm even considering doing it (we are both not electric-type people ) (lol)...any tips on where I can take it to have it installed? Also, I hope I don't sound too ignorant but what's the resonator and how do I turn it off??? THanks. :-)
Tell your husband not to worry, no cutting of wires needed, you will use the in-line splicers to add it on, everything you need is included in the kit. Installation will take you 15 minutes at the most from start to finish, just follow the directions. If you're still hesitant, just call some shops in your area and ask if they would install it.

The resonator is the small, muffler like cylinder right behind/or in front of the tailpipe....and you can't turn it off, you cut it off. I'm in good with an exhaust guy next door to my work so I had them chop mine off and add a small straight pipe.

The FS3 is the newer (and more expensive) version of the FS1, it wasn't available yet when I bought my FS1.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 AM
4th Gear
Wink got it! :)

Okay got it! Thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how my FS3 works out.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skatelove303
I think i might S#$! my self if my rover went more then 250 Miles on a tank. 350 is wayyyy nice! God i just love disco 1s!
I'm already at 180 miles and it just hit the 1/2 tank line..... we'll see how the other half goes though. This is my first full tank that I put in; $70/tank hurt a little. Expected to get worse this summer from what I hear

Quick Reply: Volo Gas Saver "Experiment"