Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Volo Gas Saver "Experiment"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool That's awesome!

Wow, 180 on half a tank! Hey, I tried looking last night for the OBD box thingy, and I couldn't find it under the driver side steering wheel like the video showed it should be. I noticed the little panel under the steering wheel unscrews but when I released both tabs, I couldn't see it...of course it was pretty dark outside . I figured I'll look again this morning, but just thought maybe you guys could give me a heads up??? Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rennie
Wow, 180 on half a tank! Hey, I tried looking last night for the OBD box thingy, and I couldn't find it under the driver side steering wheel like the video showed it should be. I noticed the little panel under the steering wheel unscrews but when I released both tabs, I couldn't see it...of course it was pretty dark outside . I figured I'll look again this morning, but just thought maybe you guys could give me a heads up??? Thanks
The video on the website is not a Rover so don't expect it to be in the exact same place. That being said, it's hard to miss, so get a flashlight and look again

You can see the plug without removing the panel, but in order to have access to the wires, the panel comes off.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are keeping track of MPG based on the mileage you drive and fill up with it should not matter if the light is on or not. The amount of miles you drive divided by the amount of fuel you put in; pretty easy.

I may have to look into this since I am giving up the company car to drive the Rover again. It is so much nicer to drive than the piece of crap Ford I have now. For the most part I accept the higher cost of fuel to drive a great vehicle and that is a choice.

As far as the pump, it will fail when it wants to fail. You may be able to extend it by 10-20% by not going too low but if it is going to fail it will.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
They dont care about your fuel pump, they just dont want you running out of fuel.
Its not bad to run it empty once and awhile, just not all the time.

And contrary to popular belief, the fuel pump ALWAYS sucks from the bottom of the tank.
Try this for accurate measurements. As DiscoMike has said, don't go to the light and that is not very accurate anyway. I have been using gas milage as an idicator of "engine/drivetrain/tire health" for years. I check gas at least unofficially every tank. By the way, I get 17 to 17.25 on my 2003 Disco II at 70 to 75 mph on the highway routinely. I did all of DISCOMIKE's 60K service when I got the truck. I imagine I could get 18+ or so if I slowed down to 60 but my time is worth something. I don't worry to much about in town since there are too many variables to control to interpret of the results. I am an nginer (spelling does not count) and an nuclear engineer to boot so excuse my **** desire for accuracy and procedures but it comes with the territory.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
4wd Low
Default Gas tips

Have any of you guys run a aftermarket air intake? If so what one are you using and is there any sensors that need to be tricked?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Newroverguy
Have any of you guys run a aftermarket air intake? If so what one are you using and is there any sensors that need to be tricked?
I know you're new, but this thread is NOT about air intakes, if you want to talk about air intakes--->PLEASE START A NEW THREAD