New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17,000 trouble free miles and then.............

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 17,000 trouble free miles and then.............

Purchased a lovely Corris Grey 2018 LR Discovery HSE Diesel in May 2018. I have owned 7 LR in the past 15 years and currently also own a 2019 RR Autobiography. All were great. After 17,000 trouble free miles the car has now become unusable after breaking down on the highway three times and back to the dealer 4 times. Now off the road for 28 days and counting.

1, After a rain storm noticed a puddle of water on floor on passenger side. New windshield ordered and fitted - 2 days. Fine, these things happen.
2, Ticking noise from engine develops 2 hours from home. Grows louder as speed increases eventually engine misfires. Towed to local dealer. Replaced injectors but still ticking noise. Eventually removed engine and replaced fuel pump timing belt - 20 days.
3, After getting car back one day later it stops and wont re-start - Towed again - new starter motor fitted - 4 days
4, Returns two days. Suffers engine failure and steering loss on highway, check engine light on - currently at dealer being diagnosed.

All i can say is what a shame. A great product and brand loyalty just destroyed in a matter of days. I will not accept the car back and in CT this may be the fastest car to qualify as a lemon in history.

The following users liked this post:
Groucho123 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson1758
Purchased a lovely Corris Grey 2018 LR Discovery HSE Diesel in May 2018. I have owned 7 LR in the past 15 years and currently also own a 2019 RR Autobiography. All were great. After 17,000 trouble free miles the car has now become unusable after breaking down on the highway three times and back to the dealer 4 times. Now off the road for 28 days and counting.

1, After a rain storm noticed a puddle of water on floor on passenger side. New windshield ordered and fitted - 2 days. Fine, these things happen.
2, Ticking noise from engine develops 2 hours from home. Grows louder as speed increases eventually engine misfires. Towed to local dealer. Replaced injectors but still ticking noise. Eventually removed engine and replaced fuel pump timing belt - 20 days.
3, After getting car back one day later it stops and wont re-start - Towed again - new starter motor fitted - 4 days
4, Returns two days. Suffers engine failure and steering loss on highway, check engine light on - currently at dealer being diagnosed.

All i can say is what a shame. A great product and brand loyalty just destroyed in a matter of days. I will not accept the car back and in CT this may be the fastest car to qualify as a lemon in history.
Wow sorry to hear it. Wife's 2019 HSE Lux Td6 is approaching 9000 miles. Please keep us posted...we leased in CT though live in NY. Not sure how lemon laws work in such a case!

Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like the water leak is the culprit?

Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear

No, they said fault in engine manufacturing in UK. Specifically timing belt.The latest trip to the dealer seems to be a loose fuel line. Engine was not put back together properly in the last service.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh man sorry to hear. Hope they can get it al resolved and you are a happy owner again.
It does seem that the assembly line for LR is just not up to par when compared to Toyota. The design does have some quirks, but I suspect with all the different options and regional specs LR made I way more complicated than other which can lead to more assembly line issues.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

One of the explanations I got for why our '19 sat on the assembly line for over 2 months was they were line down dealing with quality issues. Of course, I also got told they had some parts problems over the whole Brexit nonsense too so who knows?

Knock on wood . . . almost 5K and not a single complaint/problem yet.

So sorry you're having such a pile of them. But, I have had experience with our Touareg where there was actually only one problem that ballooned into a whole bunch because the dealer service dept did not know what the hell they were doing. I actually ended up selling that wonderful vehicle prematurely because I did not want to drive 200-400 miles to get it actually fixed.

Hope you get it back to satisfactory order soon!

Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Start a lemon law claim. It’s on your side and you qualify with two main component failures. I had a 2017 GMC Sierra that I had two tranny and three tq converters in 18k miles and GM had to do a buy back. It’s how I got my disco. 16k trouble free miles so far (except for software update when I first got it). Hopefully you have the quality of dealer I do in Houston, well one of them. Any issue and they pull another off the lot for you. But very serious about the lemon law claim. Just hit google and let them handle it. You can still drive and keep your vehicle but that law was written for things like this. You’ll get something out of it.

Last edited by ToiletDuck; 07-21-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 PM
3rd Gear

Lemon case has started. I gave them the opportunity to settle without a lawyer but they did not bite. Oh well, now they will likely end up paying more. My only other experience of doing this was some years ago with a German manufacturer. It produced a fair and favorable outcome.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Lemon case has started. I gave them the opportunity to settle without a lawyer but they did not bite. Oh well, now they will likely end up paying more. My only other experience of doing this was some years ago with a German manufacturer. It produced a fair and favorable outcome.
Same here and I was amazed at how easy it was. My current worry is I have a 2017 CPO HSE Diesel that I bought with 6800 miles on it. It has a 100k/7yr warrant but not exactly sure how that plays out if it ever starts ending up in the shop all the time.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check rear washer line in passanger front under carpet, there is a connector that leaks over the time. That what it was on mine.,

Quick Reply: 17,000 trouble free miles and then.............