Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 HSE Luxury exorbitant service quote

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 HSE Luxury exorbitant service quote

So this truck has an in service date of April 2018, someone bought it, had it for less than 4 months and returned it. We bought it as a CPO. The service experience with the dealership has been a mess on almost every issue (of which there have been a few, windshield leak, O2 sensor, terrain control ****, driver handle door lock not working x2, corrupted incontrol update). It has about 23000 km on it, or 14400 miles.

Anyways, the first service was done in May 2019 nearly 2 months late as they told us to follow the service indicator in the truck, which was wrong as they reset it just before delivery to us. Only got done because I got suspicious of when it might be due and called in.

I just booked for the service B and second service overall. I asked for a quote of what had to be done, and what was recommended. The suspicious “must be done” items include:

Cooling system fluid exchange service - LRN2279 ($243.16) (Parts 540, 546 - Kit K5901) - manual lists as a 10 year interval
Brake fluid exchange service ($198.57) (Part 84032) - manual lists as a 3 year interval
Replace rear differential fluid ($201.05) (Parts 75032 & 328) - manual lists as a 5 year interval
Replace transfer case oil ($164.84) (Part 79232) - manual lists as a 5 year interval
Perform mass air flow sensor cleaning service ($70.47) (Part 4073) - maybe this is normal?

They list the “full service due” additional items as:

Replace pollen filter including deodorizer service ($191.97) (Part 7083)
Clean battery terminals & install anti-corrosion pads ($62.39) (Part 985)
Perform major fuel & air induction system service ($248.82) (Parts 206, 208, 280 - Kit K2956)

Please tell me I’m not nuts for questioning a $2000+ Canadian maintenance quote on a 2 year old Disco with very low mileage?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of BS.
Most of the items are not needed till much later.
The cabin filter and brake fluid flush are probably the only things to consider.
I assume it doesn’t tow heavy loads and used in extremely harsh conditions.

The following users liked this post:
rommelrommel (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't even do the brake flush at 14,400.

I'd go elsewhere, dude!

Of course, my dealership sux here so I should talk . . . I may be headed to OKC next time. 2 1/2 hours.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
rommelrommel (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:58 PM
4wd Low

It’s not used for anything harsh at all, going to work and the store a few days a week or less.

Well, I did tow my utility trailer for about 50km lol.

It’s much more inconvenient but I do have 2 other dealers within an hour... but I do have a service credit of about $700 with these guys to use up, so will try to get through this one more experience.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

If the manual says it’s not needed yet then it’s not needed.
It’s a quote but you own the vehicle so you say what gets done.
Use your credit for the things the manual says need doing then consider going elsewhere in future.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by rommelrommel
So this truck has an in service date of April 2018, someone bought it, had it for less than 4 months and returned it. We bought it as a CPO. The service experience with the dealership has been a mess on almost every issue (of which there have been a few, windshield leak, O2 sensor, terrain control ****, driver handle door lock not working x2, corrupted incontrol update). It has about 23000 km on it, or 14400 miles.

Anyways, the first service was done in May 2019 nearly 2 months late as they told us to follow the service indicator in the truck, which was wrong as they reset it just before delivery to us. Only got done because I got suspicious of when it might be due and called in.

I just booked for the service B and second service overall. I asked for a quote of what had to be done, and what was recommended. The suspicious “must be done” items include:

Cooling system fluid exchange service - LRN2279 ($243.16) (Parts 540, 546 - Kit K5901) - manual lists as a 10 year interval
Brake fluid exchange service ($198.57) (Part 84032) - manual lists as a 3 year interval
Replace rear differential fluid ($201.05) (Parts 75032 & 328) - manual lists as a 5 year interval
Replace transfer case oil ($164.84) (Part 79232) - manual lists as a 5 year interval
Perform mass air flow sensor cleaning service ($70.47) (Part 4073) - maybe this is normal?

They list the “full service due” additional items as:

Replace pollen filter including deodorizer service ($191.97) (Part 7083)
Clean battery terminals & install anti-corrosion pads ($62.39) (Part 985)
Perform major fuel & air induction system service ($248.82) (Parts 206, 208, 280 - Kit K2956)

Please tell me I’m not nuts for questioning a $2000+ Canadian maintenance quote on a 2 year old Disco with very low mileage?
I wouldn't go 10 years on the cooling system flush. 3 is my maximum, but that's just me. And $243 by the dealer probably isn't out of line. But I would do it myself with LR coolant for much less.
Brake flush: some vehicles 2 year interval, others are 3 year. I go 3 years but I live in a dry climate. It doesn't matter the miles on it. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air with time. $198 is probably not out of line for a LR dealer. You could do it yourself for under $20.
Rear Diff and Transfer Case is way too soon. And that's also a very easy do it yourself. I'd go 50K miles give or take 10K.
Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaning is unlikely needed. Sounds like a spray can of cleaner. Best to leave it alone especially if you use top tier gasoline.
Pollen Filter is probably per the books interval. But since it probably doesn't matter if you do it or not (it's not going to cause a problem unless you are severely allergic), I'd skip it. You can buy an aftermarket filter for much less and swap it out yourself in 5 minutes with no tools.
Battery terminals are probably not even dirty. You could take a look to see. Those anti corrosion pads are a couple dollars at the auto parts store. You have to remove and replace the battery cable off the battery to install them. Not a bad idea but totally not needed at your mileage or at that price.
Don't know what the major Induction Cleaning is. If they really clean carbon off your intake valves it could be worthwhile but not yet at your mileage. You probably have no carbon to clean. (Assume this is a petrol vehicle?) If it's diesel I don't know.
This is mostly all a big moneymaker for the dealer. But since you asked for a detailed list of service items with prices BEFORE accepting the work, you have been able to make informed decision. Now, you can maybe find a better dealer or independent mechanic.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 05-05-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

That's definitely not a normal service schedule. You are being massively upsold. Run away!!

Seriously

There is an authorized service schedule for when things need to be done. Everyone seems to have their own opinions - mine is that the LR engineers knew what they were doing when they designed it and I stick to that. Sure you can do things sooner. Maybe good good for peace of mind. And if you drive hard or huge mileages then Eg more frequent oil changes seem sensible. But I wouldn't pay to do 5 or 10 year items after 2 years...
And I wouldn't pay dealer prices if you want to do some of this much more frequently. Then you need an Indy or diy

FYI battery is in a side compartment in the trunk inside the vehicle. It's not exposed to the elements / weather etc. so if that's corroding you have real issues...

Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 PM
4wd Low

So, they have acknowledged that all of it is simply what they “recommend” so the fact that these items were initially listed as “required” to keep warranty has put a very bad taste in my mouth about a dealership I already barely tolerated. I have a $700 or so service credit from a prior bad experience here so I will use that up on the service B and move on to another dealer.

A lot of this stuff I figure I can do, I do the majority of my own work on our other cars.

• Coolant – When a coolant exchange is done it only replaces between 30-40% of the coolant in your system. There is no equipment available to pressurized the system and do a complete change. The vehicles we’ve seen that have waited to the 5 or 10 year mark to complete a coolant exchange often will have badly deteriorated fluid removed from the system at the exchange. Over the course of your coolants life it becomes more acidic, which slowly eats away at the internal components of your coolant system if not kept in check. Doing the service every three years prevents the coolant from becoming too acidic and will increase the life of affected components (including radiator and water pump).

• Differential, Transfer Case and Brake Fluids – As Land Rover’s North American Maintenance Schedule is determined under testing in California, it doesn’t always take regional climate into account. With your differential, transfer case and brake fluid we will see high amounts of moisture accumulate in your system under the typical stop and go driving conditions we experience in the lower mainland. It is important to keep the moisture levels in these systems low in order to allow for proper lubrication of the gear boxes as well as prevent deterioration of the internal components. Moisture in your braking system will harm not only the performance of the system, but will also create conditions under which the inside of your brake lines will experience corrosion. These services are all recommended at the 3 year mark due to our climate, regardless of mileage.

• Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaning – You are correct in this service not being in your manual. We see a high number of vehicles that come in with performance issues as well as engine codes due to dirty Mass Air Flow sensors, especially with diesel motors. Soot backs up into intake and coats the Mass Air Flow Sensor under normal conditions. This prevents the onboard computer from regulating the air intake decreasing fuel economy and, if left long enough, can set off check engine lights.

• Battery Terminal and Major Fuel Service – These services are recommended as preventative. The battery service seals your terminals and with the addition of anti corrosion impregnated pads on the terminals we are able to prevent corrosion from occurring. When corrosion does occur it damages the cables and eventually can lead to a costly replacement of those cables. We recommend the Major Fuel Service in order to provide an occasional clean to your intake, injectors, valves and combustion chamber. This helps improve fuel economy and engine performance. This is essentially a concentrated and more effective version of the cleaners that are already added to your fuel by most retailers to slow the build up of deposits that occur when fuel is burnt (Shell’s V-Power and Chevron’s Techron for instance).
    Obviously a lot of that is padded nonsense... I can change the coolant in the tank every few years for a fraction of their costs. The battery is fine. Fuel service is pointless with a well performing vehicle imo. I don’t have a diesel for the MAF issue.

So frustrating... I really like the vehicle to drive but this is by far the worst dealer experience we’ve ever had across a spectrum of luxury and other brands.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 PM
    Recovery Vehicle
    Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

It's true, it's really hard to get out more than maybe 50 percent of the coolant with a drain and refill. But if you do it every 3 years it is worthwhile and you'll eventually have most of your coolant fairly new so don't worry about it. Never had a problem with a cooling system on any vehicle at any mileage when it's had routine drain and refills at 3 year intervals. I always premix the refill mixture with 50/50 factory coolant and distilled water (from the supermarket). I always use factory branded coolant - it makes me feel better. Beware, some coolant brands might come premixed at 50/50.

I think that comment about moisture in the transfer case or differential is a bunch of bull. Maybe if you submerge your Disco. 40K or 50K or 60K would be just fine. You might want to use a quality synthetic but I usually just use the exact LR product, it's only a few dollars more if you shop around and it makes me feel better.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:13 PM
    Three Wheeling
    Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you walk in with your wallet open and ask what you were supposed to do with the contents.

seriously thoigh, i got my Disco usex with a,service plan. I can tell you they didn't do all of that work on mine at scheduled maintenance time. Sounds to me like your service advisor is looking for a boat payment.

Quick Reply: 2017 HSE Luxury exorbitant service quote