New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Land Rover Discovery Aftermarket Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

From my experience, I would not buy any aftermarket wheels for a Land Rover from Tire Rack.

I have been a Tire Rack customer for 20+ years. They used to offer high quality wheels in their winter tire packages. Now they offer those cheap "Sport Edition" wheels from China. The last winter tire package I bought from them for our old Q7 kept coming loose despite the lug nuts being torqued to 120 ft/lbs. After lots of complaining for fear of a tire coming off, Tire Rack finally sent me lug nuts that were compatible with their cheap wheels.

The forum members on Landroverworld.org seem to have tons of technical knowledge, and everyone there is running OEM Land Rover wheels or Compmotive wheels from the UK. I have read that the OEM wheels are designed and manufactured to handle the weight of our vehicles. (I know, the D5 is a little lighter) They also have a stronger seal on the bead so that you can air down when driving in sand. My tire guy complains that that OEM wheels are a pain to mount.

You can trust Lucky8 wheels, they are a trusted source for Land Rover products.

Also, keep an eye on ebay for used wheels, that is where I got my winter wheels for both our Land Rovers. Just be careful about buying "remanufactured" wheels, you never know what was welded under the new paint.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait and see what rims Tire Rack ultimately offers. I know they have 20'' rims available from OZ Racing, BBS etc which are reputable manufacturers. Hopefully some of these higher-quality wheels will fit the new Disco.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw these in the wild and they look nice. I wasn't able to talk to the owner, so I can't speak to their quality/durability.

Fitment | Redbourne Land Rover Wheels

Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Nice and thank you! Did you see these wheels on a Disco 5?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcl4668
Nice and thank you! Did you see these wheels on a Disco 5?
Yes, they were the 'Nottinghams'.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 PM
5th Gear

I have a set of the redbourne wheels. I was disappointed that after a couple of Minnesota winters, the finish started to come off in chunks and the wheels started to corrode. The wheels were fine aside from the cosmetics. I may get them stripped and powder coated to use on our incoming Disco. I found some used Oem wheels to put on my sport in the meantime. They are much better made imho, and I spent less on the used oem wheels.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default me too!

Originally Posted by rcl4668
Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait and see what rims Tire Rack ultimately offers. I know they have 20'' rims available from OZ Racing, BBS etc which are reputable manufacturers. Hopefully some of these higher-quality wheels will fit the new Disco.
I’d like to do the same with my Discovery 5. Let me know what you discover, please. Brian

Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Just a quick update: I have taken delivery of our 2018 Discovery HSE and it is great. I am still struggling, however, to find an answer as to whether certain high quality aftermarket rims (BBS, OZ Racing etc) will fit on the Discovery 5. I called Tire Rack and they still have not had a chance to test fit wheels on the new model but the salesman suggested that if the rotor, brake caliper, hub and caliper bracket were the same on both the Disco 5 and the 2016 LR4 then there is good chance that wheels that fit the LR4 will also work on the Discovery. I assume the quickest way to get this information is to call my dealer or is there another, quicker source of that information? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

It's a good idea. I think you're more likely to find that the new disco has the same brakes as the Range Rover sport and RR full size. So you might have more luck with wheel comparability to the sport. See below. If you go to the rover parts website and search for disco V rotors you'll see they fit the new disco and the RR sport / big RR. But LR4 is different.
Check the same for calipers as they are often the issue for wheel fitment

http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Dropd...Drums%5CRotors

You could also ask the dealers how fitment compares as even if they bolt onto hub and clear the calipers you'll want to be sure they don't fowl the fenders or other parts of the suspension. But given disco v comes with big wheels I suspect that's unlikely

Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Drifting

BritCars -- Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, while I found rotors the site does not seem to list calipers, hubs or caliper brackets. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: 2017 Land Rover Discovery Aftermarket Rims