Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Disco HSE LUX Diesel / Exhaust Filter Full - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:53 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Disco HSE LUX Diesel / Exhaust Filter Full - Limp Mode

Hi, wondering how many Disco 5 owners are having or had the same issue as myself and what was done to either remedy the issue or if the vehicle was turned to lemonade?
I purchased the vehicle CPO with low miles to do long road trips of few thousand miles at a time. For city driving, we use another vehicle. Unfortunately after 1 year the car has been in the dealership probably over 20 times of which 7 of them because it went into limp mode after the exhaust filter full light coming on. Every time the dealership says they have fixed it and every time, the same exact thing happens. Supposedly they've even put a new DPF but within less than 1000 miles it says filter full and immediately goes into limp mode. Additionally the airbag lights for both driver and passenger go off and on randomly even with someone in the seat. I've lost so much time with this and can't use it for road trips any longer because it going into limp mode randomly out of no where. Not to mention the safety issue of it loosing power with no warning. At the moment LR has offered an insult of a credit amount if i were to trade in to purchase another vehicle and wondering if getting a lawyer is worth the headache. Also aware that there may soon be a nationwide class action lawsuit for these issues.
Any input from those that had similar issues would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thank you

Old 05-10-2022, 06:33 AM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2L or 3L?

Old 05-10-2022, 06:59 AM
4wd High

It's the 3L

Old 05-10-2022, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

@LandRovery
Here are a few questions for you:
- what state are you located in ? makes a lot of difference for lemon law.
- did you do a oil dilution test ( NOT at the dealership ) - it will be revealing of what you may find
- have you checked if your oil level is increasing ?
- did they changed the particle filter ? really , really changed, not "cleaned" ?
As for the lawyer for lemon law, depending on your state, you may get your money back ( most states law counts 3 "strikes" and a last courtesy service) or if you are in the wrong state, this may drag for years, and may get just lawyer fees only.
Until you get all these solved some how... I would change the oil often. A LOT more often than the book. You may have oil dilution which is detrimental to the engine.
PM me if you need to.
Best of luck.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:41 PM
4wd High

That is some good insight, thank you!

I'm in Florida and the vehicle was purchased in Massachusetts.

Tried asking for a part/skew number when they supposedly replaced the filter and got nothing but run around. Did some research and from what I could find, they don't have to give me a part number or show me the old part if it is under warranty. Not sure if that is accurate though.

Oil level seemed to be stable but will check on those two suggestions and get back to you.

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling

You may want to check with a lawyer first, if it was bought in another state, and titled in other - lemon law may be tricky.... also, it matters if the CPO is a JLR CPO, or a "local" CPO. I am not a lawyer by any means, but you may want to look into that. May have an opening there.
Yes - they need to present to you a repair invoice, even if it is 0 $. You paid for it (in the CPO). My feeling is that they just cleaned the DEF filter, and put it back. A new one is several grands installed.
Oil testing is not that expensive, check it just for your peace of mind.

To make this easier, you may try other ways... (a) sell the vehicle at an auction, and you may get most of the $$ back these days, and / or (b) find a local shop that can do a delete on DEF - you will see an immediate improvement and in FL as I know, they don't have testing for diesel - that is where your problem comes from more than likely - the DEF.
I switched to gas engine for the first time in 30 years due to the fact that they killed this great diesel engine with all sorts of tree hugging aberrations. If this makes you feel better, Mercedes and other brands do have even bigger issues due to DEF, as well. I know, it is cold comfort, but ... just saying.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 05-10-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:42 PM
4wd High

It is a JLR CPO. I have the service repair invoices, will double check what it says about the DEF replacement when i get the car back. Forgot all the service repairs in the glove box.
Will definitely check the oil and at the same time look into the delete. Are you now driving a gas Disco 5 or something else? It is the perfect car for my needs when it works but just too many issues unfortunately.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LandRovery
It is the perfect car for my needs when it works but just too many issues unfortunately.
Yes, so true. Never forget, is a Land Rover
Honestly, is a good car (as you said, when it works) and there are very few cars out there to come even close to the LR capabilities in US.
If you have a JLR CPO then find another shop and try to get it solved. Once you fix the diesel engine, is a fantastic motor.
I do have now a Disco 5 MY '22 and is a guzzler compared to diesel. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I miss that diesel sound and MPG.
I am sure that once you fix it, you will get a lot of joy out of that engine and many miles also.
Few things you may need to consider for that particular engine:
- change the oil more often than the book asks - remember this mantra: oil is cheap, engine is expensive
- never let the DEF fluid go low, top it up at every 2-3 diesel refills. It will save you headaches later.
- before you hit 150k (if you want to keep the vehicle that long) change the timing mechanics and the harmonic balancer - is a weak point of this engine, but once the job is done, you will get another 150k miles without worries.
Personally, I would fix it and enjoy it for as long as I can. However, if you plan on parting with it, then now is a good time to sell it ( car market is crazy ) and ignore the advice above.
Oh, and one note - if you find some one that can delete the DEF, it may void your CPO, but it has other benefits. I would do it at the end of the CPO.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:00 AM
4wd High

Yea, had my fair share of quirks over the years with different LRs but this one has far exceeded my patience by now. Would love to fix the issues though so I'll try one last time as per your great recommendations. Agreed that delete should be done after CPO finishes.
Back up plan if I can't get this one fixed, to try and find another well equipped Diesel but I've noticed there are even fewer to find now lately. Almost considering the Gas version but really don't want to have to go that route if I have too.
Really appreciate your input, thank you again! Will keep you posted.