Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Disco vs 2019 Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Disco vs 2019 Audi Q7

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the 2019 Disco and the 2019 Audi Q7. Both models I am looking at have the same amenities and roughly the same cost. The Q7 is brand new and the Disco was used as a loaner car for the dealership and has 9k miles on it. Just curious if any of you also had looked at the Q7 before buying a Disco. Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I cross shopped the Q7.

I preferred the looks and capacity and practicality of the Disco, my wife found the all the buttons and dash on the Audi confusing.
We thought the interior on the Audi was a bit boringly German style wise.
I used to do a lot of off-roading so liked the idea of having the go anywhere capability on the Disco.

But the biggest part of the decision was the pushy Audi salesman vs the relaxed and friendly LR salesman who listened and made well thought out suggestions vs just trying to sell me something that wasn’t close to what I wanted spec wise.

I’m sure I’d have been very happy with the Audi though as it was a nice vehicle. It definitely handled better than the Disco (less roll, better steering and brakes) but the Disco was more comfortable and felt like a nicer place to spend time. It just feels special.

I also like not having the same vehicle as everyone else as I see a lot of Q5s and Q7’s but not so many Discos (although LR products, predominantly Range Rover badged ones are a dime a dozen around here).

Finally I’m a Brit expat so there is a certain amount of affinity I have which combined with the LR adventure image plays a *small* part I suppose vs an Audi which is just an Audi. I also had a Jaguar XF back in the UK which never has a problem.

I also cross shopped the Volvo XC90 and favored it over the Audi but the local dealership chain here for Volvo is the worst I have ever experienced in all my years of buying vehicles anywhere in the world so even though I think it’s probably the most ideal family SUV on the market, I couldn’t have one.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 05-04-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you LoneStarLR! That actually helps a lot. I, like your wife, find the infotainment and buttons and switches on the Audi confusing and some things could be streamlined (I don’t see a need to be able to access a menu item 4 different ways). I love the spaciousness of the Disco and commanding view of the road. And the fact that there aren’t a lot out there. I’m concerned about the reliability of the Disco in general, specifically how many report that the infotainment system lags or stops working completely. But hopefully it’ll be ok! Audi seems to have better reliability 🤷🏻‍♀️

Old 05-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

LoneStar...if you were at Audi Plano, ne Boardwalk, ne Autonation....I agree 100%. I've left there a few times just annoyed and shaking my head.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I think it depends somewhat on how long you plan to keep it and what your level of commitment is. Volkswagen products of today aren't known for their reliability and longevity as they once were, and Land Rover being Land Rover, well there's a certain amount of risk there as well. Having a reliable dealer with whom you feel comfortable nearby is therefore of major importance since there's a strong chance you'll be getting to know them pretty well with either marque. Personally I consider each of them no more than soulless appliances with little differentiating one from the other in the grand scheme of things anyway, so it's really more about the people on the inside of the building than it is the sign on the outside. Without knowing anything about the trim levels of either of the vehicles you're looking at, I would say that if you're paying for this out of pocket and are looking for something to hang onto for a few years with some guaranteed return, then throwing 50-60k at a used G-Wagon is a smarter bet and definitely a cooler truck by a mile. There's no arguing with a G-Wagon, it says I know what the eff I'm doing, so if you don't mind, I'll be moving on. Reliability is unparalleled by comparison as well. You'll probably have to step back a couple more years but there's nothing wrong with that. The styling doesn't change much so if keeping up with appearances has any amount of concern for you then no one will know the difference anyway. And even if you simply told someone it was a 2019, who the hell among today's new car buying public would know any better, 2% of the people out there? Valets maybe. On the other hand, if this is a lease scenario where you're simply plunking down a monthly on something as a grocery getter runabout then my advice would be to get whatever you feel more comfortable in.

All that aside and regarding the specific vehicles you mention, I would stay away from the loaner vehicle. Maybe, maybe, if they're willing to extend the warranty but why would you want a vehicle whose keys get handed to just anyone at a moment's notice, regardless of whether or not they give a crap about it?

Last edited by ahab; 05-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WillGabriel (05-19-2021)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup, agree that dealer means everything. These techy euro-wagons can be finicky period so good service is paramount. Loved our Touareg but absolutely NO service department and 87 mile joyrides in my SUV so I sold it in less than 2 years. Decent enough through Porsche and Audi until Walser bought the entire luxury market here. Back to NO service again. Sad as we love the Disco so far. If things don't improve the next 2 years, we may toss the keys and ride off into the Subaru sunset like everyone else it seems. Then I will commit suicide or just die of boredom . . . but we'll have a safe and reliable vehicle and [here anyway] a good dealership.

That said, I'd about give a nut to get a twin turbo V8 TDI Q8 but that ain't happenin' here in the USA.

The extra torque in the Q7 is noticeable but I still find their V6 [and the Disco's too] lacking unless you have your foot in the fan averaging 19mpg.

Our ownership to date mpg is 26.3 on our Disco Diesel. The wife does not have a lead foot though she does not need one with 450 lb ft. Since you burn most of your fuel around town, all that torque matters. We got just over 30 uphill to CO and 31 coming home. That is in the 68-75 sweet spot though.

And, these diesels piggy back tune quite well. 300/500 numbers from the factory 254/443 are fairly easy to hit.

I do like the new Q7 better than its previous styling. Previous model was almost minivan-ish so we went Q5 then.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 AM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks all!

Thanks for the comments! Both dealerships are close to my house, and so far have been very easy to deal with (through the sales process anyway). The Disco is an HSE loaded with additional packages, and the Q7 is Premium Plus and again loaded with additional packages. Q7 is def more fun to drive, but the 3rd row is virtually useless, and I have 3 kids ages 9-14 and carpool their friends often. I’ve always wanted a Disco, but I am concerned that I’d be stranded on a road somewhere if it breaks down. Or are most of the problems minor things that don’t affect the vehicle’s drivability?

Old 05-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Although it can happen, It’s unlikely you’ll be left stranded anywhere.
Most problems with LR products are down to the gadgets misbehaving or factory quality issues such as leaking windshields or rattling rear seats etc.
Annoying and disappointing when you’ve paid so much money for an otherwise luxurious premium truck.
The infotainment was troublesome when I first got mine but its software was several versions old. Now I’m on the latest and have had no problems bar it once refusing to show me the 4x4i info and freezing up for about a minute before telling me it was unavailable and unfreezing itself. I had just got home so it hardly mattered, and every time I turned it on since it was working as normal. So it has gotten a lot better.

I suppose due to electrical complexity the thing most likely to leave you stranded is a flat battery but I carry a small lithium ion jump start pack for just that reason (as I would with any vehicle).

As an aside, it’s my observation that there are fewer problems with the gas engine than the diesel. But that’s only from watching threads on here so it’s not necessarily statistically accurate. That said, coming from Europe (where diesels make up more than 60% of sales) in the last 15 years or so I have noticed the same across most manufacturers with pricey diesel fuel pumps, injectors and turbo related stuff being common. The current Disco engines are too new to draw many conclusions yet though..

As others have said, I would never be keen on a loaner unless it was *really* cheap, and loaner or not, you need a warranty for the time you will own the vehicle. Everything is expensive on these.

Also check out the cost of maintenance on both, standard service plus replacement brakes etc.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 05-05-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

When I bought my LR3 in 2006 I thought that if I had lots of problems with it I sell it when the warranty ran out.
I had no problems in over 12 years and 130K miles and really enjoyed owning it. I still miss it.
My D5 gets better gas mileage, is much peppier, rides great, is quieter, smoother. But I still miss the LR3.

I agree, it is unlikely to break down and leave you stranded.

angelboing (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Agreed. I've not seen the reliability issues. They are mostly irritating quirks. We had our LR4 for about 7 years and now a D5 for 2 years and it has never once failed to start, to drive, to get us wherever we are going.

angelboing (05-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 2019 Disco vs 2019 Audi Q7