New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 HSE - how to enable mobile hotspot? where is sim card?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 09:44 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2022 HSE - how to enable mobile hotspot? where is sim card?

I have a 2022 Discovery HSE. Everywhere on the internet it says the sim card is in the center console cubby, which it definitely is not. It is a cooler and just outside there is 1 regular usb port and 1 USB-C port for CarPlay. I do not see a place to put a sim card anywhere.

I have signed up for incontrol and I can use the remote iPhone app to see where the car is, turn on climate control, etc. The car displays 4G with signal bars on the right side of the infotainment display. The owners manual and everything online says that you just go to "Connectivity" and then enable the Mobile hotspot. I do not have that in the menu anywhere. I have "Mobile Data" and "Wifi." Wifi is not the hotspot, it just connects to my house, the instructions said it was for software updates.

I tried going to the Land Rover AT&T page, but when I put in my VIN it says "VIN not found. Please enter a valid VIN." I typed it in four times, directly from the window sticker.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/land-rover/

Can anyone shed light on why I can't find the SIM card slot and why there is no option to enable the mobile hotspot? Also has anyone had luck with the AT&T setup?

Old 11-09-2021, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tuna_disco
I have a 2022 Discovery HSE. Everywhere on the internet it says the sim card is in the center console cubby, which it definitely is not. It is a cooler and just outside there is 1 regular usb port and 1 USB-C port for CarPlay. I do not see a place to put a sim card anywhere.

I have signed up for incontrol and I can use the remote iPhone app to see where the car is, turn on climate control, etc. The car displays 4G with signal bars on the right side of the infotainment display. The owners manual and everything online says that you just go to "Connectivity" and then enable the Mobile hotspot. I do not have that in the menu anywhere. I have "Mobile Data" and "Wifi." Wifi is not the hotspot, it just connects to my house, the instructions said it was for software updates.

I tried going to the Land Rover AT&T page, but when I put in my VIN it says "VIN not found. Please enter a valid VIN." I typed it in four times, directly from the window sticker.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/land-rover/

Can anyone shed light on why I can't find the SIM card slot and why there is no option to enable the mobile hotspot? Also has anyone had luck with the AT&T setup?
The issue has been discussed in other LR forums ( Defender 110 - new model ), but here is a quick recap:
- if you are in US, there is no SIM - there will be an eSIM which you won't see
- there are in fact 2 eSIM(s) - one for telematics, which is active by default, and the second one is the "data plan" , which should have been activated.
Check out this info where is explained pretty well.
If you called JLR N.A. they should have opened a case for you. If they didn't, call again and open a case.
-ATT will not see the vehicle. In your MY'22 Disco 5, you have PiviPro and that runs on an M.V.N.O., not like the older models, which HAD a SIM card, and ran on "InControl" via ATT. JLR controls it now 100% and is also more expensive.
One question for you: did you purchase the "data plan" when you spec'd the vehicle ... the thing which was about 360 $ ? That should give you the data plan.
PM me if you got more questions on this, and I may be able to troubleshoot with you.
Best of luck, and try to open a ticket with JLR.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 11-09-2021 at 11:04 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-10-2021, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all the great info. I’ll call JLR to ask about it. My window sticker does not show the data plan. Do you happen to know if it’s possible to assign my own esim for the hotspot or is it locked in to the JLR plan?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling

You will be able to see only "your" eSIM ( ICCID). No, you can't "assign" it, because it is the ONLY one visible to you. The other is ....say, transparent. You may have to open a case with JLR, then the next step, may need to go to the dealer with the ticket, and have them fix it. Now, if you did not buy the plan when you spec'd your car, you may not have it. Can you activate it now ? probably yes. But still need to call JLR for that.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:06 AM
Drifting

I'll try contacting JLR corporate and see what they say. I didn't have a choice about the data plan because I bought the car off the lot. Absolutely love the car so far, and this is a pretty minor thing, but I do think it would be nice for working on the laptop during long road trips, so we'll see what JLR says! A separate hotspot is almost as good in many ways, but having the improved reception that is supposed to be available from using the vehicle as the hotspot is interesting.

Thanks again for all the help and insights!

Old 11-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling

I am surprised that is not listed there, being an HSE. If (if indeed !) this is not present, they I would suggest that you get a cheap T-Mobile or ATT hotspot, for about 10 ...15$ / mo, which will be a lot cheaper than the one JLR sells. Check with your phone service provider, and you may get a good deal. You can then set it up as hotspot, and link the car to it. Easiest way in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:40 PM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

My Att Plan includes a hotspot with my phone... If you have that you can have your Disco connect to the phone Hotspot via it's WiFi connection. The first year I had the Data plan, but it just does not make monetary sense when my phone provides the same with no additional charges.

The following users liked this post:
Mechano2020 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:50 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have your build sheet or check with dealer directly based on your VIN, double check if you have Wifi (025SF Wifi). I wasn't aware of this when I put in my HSE order but if you didn't get the Wifi with Data Plan option, I'm not sure if you get the Wifi chipset on your build to enable in-car hotspot for devices to connect through Wifi. My build sheet actually says: "025SF LESS Wifi", too late to change by the time I realized.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vapormike
If you have your build sheet or check with dealer directly based on your VIN, double check if you have Wifi (025SF Wifi). I wasn't aware of this when I put in my HSE order but if you didn't get the Wifi with Data Plan option, I'm not sure if you get the Wifi chipset on your build to enable in-car hotspot for devices to connect through Wifi. My build sheet actually says: "025SF LESS Wifi", too late to change by the time I realized.
That's a good point! I don't have a build sheet, only the window sticker from the dealer lot (above). It might be my Disco doesn't have this feature. I was mostly just curious, so no big deal! It's better just to get mobile hotspot on my phone so I can use it in hotels with bad wifi, etc, in addition to the car.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,176 Likes on 632 Posts

BTW I have been dealing with this on my Defender, same issue... no one can figure out what the eSIM is...

Quick Reply: 2022 HSE - how to enable mobile hotspot? where is sim card?