New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275/60r20 - 33x11 - 33 inch tires on 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 L462 TD6

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 08:46 AM
4wd Low
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It’s looking damm good❤️ mine is going next month in G4 lift 33” tires and black wheels

The following users liked this post:
orangeman (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great information

Originally Posted by orangeman
Considerations some of you forum members are foaming at the fingertips to bring up:

Here we go, so when you want to wheel, obviously the bigger the tire the better time you're going to have; it's a free lift it, provides better angles, more grip, more flotation, more protection, and usually a tougher tire. Other upsides include reducing the mileage on your odometer, looks and straight line comfort.

The downsides are you're increasing your final drive ratio, so acceleration will be slower, moment of inertia increases , as well as weight - further slowing you down and therefore braking distances also increase, fuel consumption increases, road noise almost always increases, they can become harder to balance, you have to increase tire rotations typically. But at the end of the day it looks badass, and goes even more badasser and that's what's important in life.

I believe 33x11" is the ultimate size for most land rovers that will see a majority of their duty on road, and still want to go off road. Now, on certain models like the L320 and it's D3/4 sisters, 33" is very annoying and actually involves shaving some hard frame members (heh) as well as carefully avoiding the upper control arms, making it not an issue of lift, but more so clearance. 33 really is kind of a paint on L320s and D3/4s for the casual enthusiast.

However, 33s bolt right up to L322s with a 1 inch lift, and also as I can show you on the D5. I do not know where the whole 275/55R20 iS tHe LaRgEsT yOu CaN gO came from that is so prevalent on instagram and the forums. I did this crazy thing and walked outside to my car with a ruler and spent 5 minutes to figure out 33s would fit.

I ended up going with Coopers new Discoverer Rugged Trek in 275/60R20, 4 ply, 115 load rating. I'll cover this tire a little more later

33x12.5 - this is considered the classic off-roading size, the problem here is there are no 4ply versions of these tires (I don't think, at least in AT or MT, but maybe for pickuptrucks) and thus they become very heavy, the same size tire gains 20 lbs per corner when you go from 4ply to 8/10. There are also fitment issues here with the inner control arms and upper hub uprights/carriers and clearance. Because of this they have to be used with wheel spacers or an aftermarket wheel with the correct offset, this can be difficult to judge and measure. Pushing the tire out will also increase the chance of rubbing. There is a very good selection here, but if you're looking at doing these, you are probably not reading forum posts about tire fitment.

Load rating/4ply vs 8/10 ply - I do 90% of my driving on highways, I wheel approximately once a month, enough that I want as aggressive of a tire as possible without going to a MT. The absolute fastest way to kill the performance of a car is to double the weight of the wheels. 33x11 (275/60r20) is a SUPER interesting size, because many manufactures make two of them, one in 4 ply for real people who have to use ther cars, and the same size in LT rating for people who offroad and construction workers who's truck makes them feel secure. Be very careful when you're ordering at this size that you're getting the model you want. Some great examples of this tire in AT are Nitto Ridge and Terra Grapplers, these coopers and a great budget choice, the Milestar Pategonia, which can be had for $580 a set and I run on my L322. The load rating on the coopers are poor, get LTs or a higher rating like 118 if you're going to tow horses, boats, parade floats et al.

Offset - I am currently running these on OEM Range Rover Sport SC wheels, they look badass and are super cheap on ebay. The black wheel I had the snow tires on are OEM RR HSE 20s, they also look super good and are very cheap on ebay. The Sport wheels are 9.5 wide and the RR HSEs are 8.5, they also have different offsets. The sport wheels have a 45mm offset, and are 13 mm per side wider than the HSE wheels, which have a 47 mm offset.This means the Sport wheel is 11mm close to the hub upright, but still clears with no spacer.

Sport

FF HSE

Fuel economy - jury is out as I have been driving my turbo, but initial impressions are that city driving is the same at 24 mpg but highway driving fell off a cliff, like 26 mpg average down to 21. I am going to play with air pressures, but I may be down big time there, I will update that for sure.

These tires - I love these coopers, easily the most aggressive AT on the market. Cannot talk about sound until they are broken in, light hum for now but my experience is that that goes away. I read a review that said they were way to squishy but I don't think that's true at all. Bad load rating, do not use these for 6K+ towing.

18s vs 20s - remember how I said I dont get why people do 32s on full sizes rovers and these? Well I REEEEEALLYY dont get dudes who go through all the trouble to fit 18s and then stick with 31s or 32s. if you're going to do 18s you need special wheels, I believe there are only the compos and the terra firmas confirmed to fit 18s, and you have to have a 2017 OR do a caliper swap on the backs if you have a different year. Do not go to 18s unless: you score a super deal o a set of wheels or you're going to go full retard and get 33x12.5s. Or just do you, I'm kinda retarded.

Odomteter, wear and tear etc - BuT yOu'Re ChAnGiNg tHe RolLiNg RaDiUs - thats you, that's how you sound (happens on every thread). No ****. That's literally the point. The difference between 31" stock sized tires and 33s is 6.5%. Congrats, your odometer is now working in your favor. Just mind the speedo change, we're talking a whopping 3mpg at 50mph. I can feel the concern trolls hand wringing from here.
The information that you have provided is by far the best on any forum. Thank you. I had a question about your L322. I just bought a set of 275/60/20 38mm offset Nitto Ridge grapplers to replace the boring 265/50/20’s on a 20x9 wheel. I also bought a set of 30mm spacers from lucky 8 because of all of the negative comments that 33’s won’t fit. Correct me if I’m wrong but did you say you didn’t need the spacers for you L322 or it’s necessary to fit the larger tires? Any information would be super helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by Riim:
Boaz (02-22-2024), orangeman (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Riim
The information that you have provided is by far the best on any forum. Thank you. I had a question about your L322. I just bought a set of 275/60/20 38mm offset Nitto Ridge grapplers to replace the boring 265/50/20’s on a 20x9 wheel. I also bought a set of 30mm spacers from lucky 8 because of all of the negative comments that 33’s won’t fit. Correct me if I’m wrong but did you say you didn’t need the spacers for you L322 or it’s necessary to fit the larger tires? Any information would be super helpful.

Hey man, It looks like you wont need a spacer with a 38mm offset wheel. In fact, a 30mm spacer is going to kill your articulation, because your tires will now hit the wheel arch instead of going up inside of it. This doesnt seem to stop many people from doing it anyways, but is a huge problem if one of your struts fail. I would find some 10mm spacers or maybe 15s once you put the wheels on and decide how much roomy ou have.

Great tire. The best looking AT for sure. Was my second choice.

Riim (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:29 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by orangeman
Hey man, It looks like you wont need a spacer with a 38mm offset wheel. In fact, a 30mm spacer is going to kill your articulation, because your tires will now hit the wheel arch instead of going up inside of it. This doesnt seem to stop many people from doing it anyways, but is a huge problem if one of your struts fail. I would find some 10mm spacers or maybe 15s once you put the wheels on and decide how much roomy ou have.

Great tire. The best looking AT for sure. Was my second choice.
Awesome. Thanks man. I’ve been searching for solid info on this subject for the longest. I feel like i’m on the right path now.

orangeman (08-12-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

This thread is awesome.

Did I read that with this size tire you don't need the 1" lift? I'd love to be able to run them with factory settings.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Also, did you ever change the height of your roof rack?

Old 08-16-2022, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
This thread is awesome.

Did I read that with this size tire you don't need the 1" lift? I'd love to be able to run them with factory settings.
I never tried them without, but I don't see why the lift would matter. Take a look at the pics. Car was able to drive fine with the 1" lift and in access mode. I would strongly recommend the 1" lift for better handling, I also personally feel the car would look a bit silly without it.

1979rover (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Also, did you ever change the height of your roof rack?
You know I haven't gotten around to that, and honestly at this point I'm not sure I care anymore. I can put a quad fly rod holder and a ski box on top with just the crossbars so I'm not really sure why I need an expedition rack. Just call it a $1400 waste

1979rover (08-16-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 02:22 PM
5th Gear
Default 11 L322 Supercharged

Originally Posted by Riim

The following 2 users liked this post by Riim:
1979rover (09-06-2022), orangeman (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh hell yeah thats sick!!

Quick Reply: 275/60r20 - 33x11 - 33 inch tires on 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 L462 TD6