Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 1st Downshift issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2nd to 1st Downshift issue

Does anyone experience a delay/hesitation in downshfts from 2nd to 1st.

When approaching a roundabout and not needing to come to a complete stop but at about 5-10mph, I start to go and the car does nothing but bogs and then shoots forward as it effectively downshifts. Dealer drove another one and said it is normal. Nothing like my LR4 and Jag with the same engine/transmission.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

It's probably coming from the ZF transmission that LR and many other brands use. Quite a few people mentioned this 'shunt' as it downshifts to 1st on the earlier 6-speed ZF transmission. See this thread for example
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-stop-147233/

Apparently having the TCM control module reset or reflashed helped some people with older software. Prob not the issue for you but you could see if they can reset it for you. A lot of people worked out how / when to ease off the brake to avoid it

Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife drove my 2018 Discovery last week for the first time and the downshifting aggravated her and she asked what is wrong with my LR as her Audi doesn't do it. I asked the SA at the dealership about it and was told the vehicle is learning my driving habits. I just have a hard time believing this since I'm moving at around 3-10 mph and the transmission can't make a gear selection until I press the accelerator pedal. I recently drove a 2017 RR for a few days and it's transmission shifted properly with no "lurch". Any thoughts on correcting this?

Old 08-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2018 D5 and I notice the same issue. I took it back to the dealer to have them inspect and gave a very detailed explanation of how they can replicate. It came back that they couldn't replicate it, and that everything was normal.

I notice it going over speed bumps, at stop signs, pulling out of driveways. Several times, it has cause an 'oh ****' moment where I either jamb my foot to the floor on the gas, or jamb my foot to the floor on the brake. Neither is comfortable for the passengers. I have also noticed it while driving in both D and S.

Service advisor told me that it was learning my driving habits also, and said they might try to reset it. As far as I can read on the paperwork, they didn't reset anything. Interesting piece is that my loaner during that last visit was a 2017 D5 with around 5k miles, and I could notice it doing the same thing at a very reduced level. Maybe there is something to the 'learning your driving' mantra?

Old 08-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
It's probably coming from the ZF transmission that LR and many other brands use. Quite a few people mentioned this 'shunt' as it downshifts to 1st on the earlier 6-speed ZF transmission. See this thread for example
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-stop-147233/

Apparently having the TCM control module reset or reflashed helped some people with older software. Prob not the issue for you but you could see if they can reset it for you. A lot of people worked out how / when to ease off the brake to avoid it
X2....I have this problem on my Jeep Renegade which has the ZF transmission. I notice it more at lower speeds, driving within the city and while going over speed bumps, etc. It's annoying to say the least but I don't think it has anything to do with learning my driving style. One of the reasons I love my old Discovery is that the Rover actually reacts when it's supposed to, rather than having a delayed response.

Purple Rain... I saw your name yesterday and I've had that song going thru my head since. Funny how one little comment or word can affect someone's thought process.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Drifting

go listen to the end of the song to get it out of your head.

I think my Audi A7 has a ZF trans as well, and while in S it actively downshifts during deceleration keeping the engine RPM higher and very responsive. I expected the S mode on the D5 to operate with similar characteristics, but no.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleRain
go listen to the end of the song to get it out of your head.
..the end of the song? you miss all of the good bits if you do that.. geesh.

I think my Audi A7 has a ZF trans as well, and while in S it actively downshifts during deceleration keeping the engine RPM higher and very responsive. I expected the S mode on the D5 to operate with similar characteristics, but no.
Leave it to Rover engineers.. don't know what to tell ya

Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you notice any difference if you drive around in S instead of D?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
Do you notice any difference if you drive around in S instead of D?
Nope. I have tested that.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Drifting

I've had a couple BMW's with the ZF and they performed almost intuitively. It's the way LR has it programmed to save gas. Until we get some techie types to start coding we will have to live with this.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 1st Downshift issue