New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3 Amigos? So last week... Now they show up with 3 brides too!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default The 3 Amigos? So last week... Now they show up with 3 brides too!

So just 10 miles into my 12 mile round trip and the dash lights up like a christmas tree!

I do drive it every 2 weeks for about 30-60 mins just to keep the battery topped up etc and this lot appeared while I was driving along (not touching the brakes or anything) so I'm not sure if a wheel speed sensor suddenly packed (as they're used by so many functions) or if it's something more serious. But given the wheel speed sensor would be used by all these functions that's my suspicion.

As you can see I've done less than 3,000 miles this first year of ownership so I'm surprised something packed up so soon given it's not like it's been off road or anything.

I have the first service booked in two weeks from now so they can deal with it then...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 06-20-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had a few errors pop up once in a while and some of the side cameras stop working. Then the next day or after she was locked for a few hours the issue dis appears. Start of this year had them update some of the body modules and it seems better now.

Though I never had the Stability, Hill Descent and ABS errors. May be a sensor or wire to one, or just that the module(s) needs to be recalibrated.

Perhaps she wants to be driven more 😂

Old 06-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Ironically I’ve been driving it just to try and keep it happy, lol!

I suspect a wheel sensor or wire to the same...

That’s said it could also all also work the next time I fire it up, lol!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

These errors among blanking or blinking MMI and/or dash display were all a part of the messages we got with our 3rd time in electrical problem that is entering week 5 at the dealership this trip. They are clueless and, despite what I've been told, I am not sure I believe that JLR engineering is actively involved. Meeting scheduled for Monday PM.

I can only hope yours is a simple sensor but with multiple faults across multiple systems . . . ?? I would not go too far until you know what it is. This seems to blow right through LIMP mode and WILL eventually leave you stranded [if it is the same problem?].

Old 06-19-2020, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I think if it were the battery you would see a Low Battery warning on the dash. I have seen that warning once, and it would not open the tailgate but it would close the tailgate and it still had enough power to start the engine. I did not have any other warning messages. So I doubt your errors are due to a low battery if you didn't get a low battery warning. I agree, it sounds like all those warnings use the same sensors - some type of wheel sensor or braking sensor.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Hopefully it’s straightforward.
My rationale is that the wheel speed sensor is needed for ABS and every single one of those systems would require wheel speed data or at least would expect to engage the braking system. So if the ABS is out I’m guessing emergency braking and hill descent etc are disabled to avoid the car locking the brakes when it engages them thus causing a skid and loss of control by the driver which could result in LR being sued.
That’s my guess anyway.
Everything else seemed to stay working so I’m guessing it’s a sensor (the most common fail item) or I suppose it could be the brake module.
In any case it’s under warranty and I won’t drive it between now and the service. The only annoyance is that I’ll be without the vehicle longer than a simple service.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 06-20-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling

I haven't driven it but just firing it up this morning and it doesn't show the ABS warning light (or any of those messages) but they may appear if I do drive it I suppose, however the check engine light is now on, presumably due to recording that a fault did occur and whatever fault happened is still present. No time to deal with it today but logged in to the dealer website to update the service appointment to add this concern to the list...

Old 06-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Drive It

Drive it - I've had a similar error with a tpms sensor on the car, not wheels. I know it's the car since all four wheels go off at once. One minute I have tire pressures, the next I don't. Usually goes away after a dozen miles. Sure would be nice to figure out how to override the sensors.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Took it for a drive, about 20 miles or so.
It only shows the check engine light now, same as when I fired it up this morning after chance to “reset”.
So no ABs light and braking works as normal,
Engine power is the same, no reduced performance.

I assume after X number of cycles the check engine light will go out.

That said, something caused it to have a fit yesterday, and I’m sticking with the dodgy sensor or wire theory which may have been fine today but not tomorrow or next week. I’ll keep driving it once we day now just to see if it clears or if it even comes back.

I’m wondering, is it possible for a stone to somehow get wedged somewhere and cause a wheel speed sensor to read incorrectly and thus throw the warning? And then if the stone goes away the sensor is back to normal? I’m not too familiar with wheel speed sensors, I assume they use light or more likely a Hall effect sensor or something?

Old 06-20-2020, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I honestly think it is just badly designed software. When starting all the systems up it doesn't have a good initialization cycle to verify all system are up and running properly. In your case the main ECU for the safety systems, etc may have tried to find the wheel sensor circuits, they were slow to come online for whatever reason, and then flagged it as faulty. Throws code, yada yada, disables a bunch of downstream software and systems relying on it. Next time it boots up the wheel sensor system comes online and reports back properly, and everything is fine.

Seen too many intermitted issues on these vehicles that are resolved by a "reboot". It feels like the Windows Vista team wrote the SW for it 😂

Quick Reply: The 3 Amigos? So last week... Now they show up with 3 brides too!