Sponsored by:

5 Days and already in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 5 Days and already in the shop

Hi,
This is the first time I’ve owned a LR. It’s been a bucket list car for me and my husband. I leased my Discovery V last week. From the beginning, my SIM card never worked. Was told to wait 24-48 hours for an email from AT&T to set up the WiFi. After 3 days, and no e-mail, multiple phone calls with Land Rover USA and the dealership, the dealership decided to order a new SIM card. It took 2 days to get (why don’t they keep the parts in stock?). I brought my car in and they got the WiFi to work for a few min, and then it stopped again. This time they said its the SIM card reader, which they would have to order and would take another few days. They gave me a loaner and said they would call when the new reader is installed and working. I’ve had my car for 10 days and it’s been in the shop for 4. Is this a common issue? If they are trying to replace the part from the beginning, am I always going to have this issue? Part of me wants to tell them to keep the car and to give me a new one. Is that even possible? I appreciate any advice/feedback.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

When owning a LR, it pays to take a deep breath. These cars aren't perfect and certainly have their quirks. I had mine in the shop for two months while waiting for a new back seat frame. I had it in yesterday for a new air suspension compressor (which they replaced in a day).

My point is, your dealer experience will ultimately make or break your decision. If they take care of you, give you a nice loaner, etc. it'll all be ok.

The following users liked this post:
RoverRod (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

"a new back seat frame" my D5 is going to the shop soon because the back rest is making a noise that makes me crazy...that was your problem?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Yep..

Hopefully you are close by to the dealer. I love my Disco 5 but....it has been in a couple times for similar issues to yours. The dealer should be able to set the whole Wifi and internet up before you even get it. That being said I had to go back a couple of times while they fixed it while I waited. The salespeople had no training on the vehicle and neither did the service people.

Originally Posted by ZFamily5
Hi,
This is the first time I’ve owned a LR. It’s been a bucket list car for me and my husband. I leased my Discovery V last week. From the beginning, my SIM card never worked. Was told to wait 24-48 hours for an email from AT&T to set up the WiFi. After 3 days, and no e-mail, multiple phone calls with Land Rover USA and the dealership, the dealership decided to order a new SIM card. It took 2 days to get (why don’t they keep the parts in stock?). I brought my car in and they got the WiFi to work for a few min, and then it stopped again. This time they said its the SIM card reader, which they would have to order and would take another few days. They gave me a loaner and said they would call when the new reader is installed and working. I’ve had my car for 10 days and it’s been in the shop for 4. Is this a common issue? If they are trying to replace the part from the beginning, am I always going to have this issue? Part of me wants to tell them to keep the car and to give me a new one. Is that even possible? I appreciate any advice/feedback.

RoverRod (04-09-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverRod
"a new back seat frame" my D5 is going to the shop soon because the back rest is making a noise that makes me crazy...that was your problem?
My issue didn't have to do with noise. The latch to fold the seat down (mine aren't powered) wasn't working properly. It would sometimes not release or conversely wouldn't catch. I took it in and they said it was broken, but due to the design, the entire seat frame needed replacing. They had to order from the UK, they were low on inventory, the first got lost, etc. etc.

I will say (to my earlier point about a good dealer), they gave me a 2018 loaner to drive the entire time and weren't fussed about the miles. After the first frame got lost, they petitioned JLR to refund me a month's worth of payment for my trouble. I didn't have to ask for this.

I've been around the car business quite a bit. And while some dealers earn the ire of customers, there are some good ones out there.

I should add that I didn't even purchase my Disco from this particular dealership.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Howdy from Texas!

New member... just joined today. Not new to forums though...

Unfortunately - we feel your pain.... same issues to a “T”. Bought a 2018 LRD TD6 a month ago... drove it home... within a few days noticed some squeaks and rattles, the Wifi wouldn’t work, and her Bluetooth was hiccupy. Drove it for a few weeks, made an appt, and took it back in. They had the truck for a little over 2 weeks diagnosing the Wifi issue.... and after 2 new SIM cards, ended up replacing the entire Wifi module. They did take care of the squeaks and rattles as well... so that’s nice.

Just now finally checked the Wifi; seems to be working. We do have a new issue though, and that is that her Apple CarPlay is being very finicky now (as it worked perfectly before). So, of course, my wife is pretty peeved.... but, I’m working on diagnosing it.

This is our first LR. And I went into this with eyes WIDE open... so I’m not totally surprised... Nonetheless, my wife isn’t very happy at the moment. We got rid of a perfectly good car (2016 QX60), albeit had older technology. Looks like we may be in for a fun ride.

Regardless, we both love the car. Great size and really nice ride overall. We plan to keep for the long run (hence the TD6).... so I guess we’ll see!

Glad to be forum member now!

1979rover (04-18-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

Just an update with my V problems. The infotainment system would continue to just shut off randomly which was quite scary when using the navigation. Now in the last week the car randomly stalled twice as I was stopping, with every sort of warning light popping up and loud grinding noise. Once I was able to get the car in park, I was able to turn it off and back on and it was fine. Finally three days ago, the car just died completely. AAA came and jumped the car and it would work for a few minutes and then crap out again. The car had to be flatbedded to the dealership, where they are now trying to figure out what’s wrong. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? It feels like the car has never been “right” from the start. Since getting it 2 months ago, it’s been in the shop for 8 days and counting.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an update with my V problems. The infotainment system would continue to just shut off randomly which was quite scary when using the navigation. Now in the last week the car randomly stalled twice as I was stopping, with every sort of warning light popping up and loud grinding noise. Once I was able to get the car in park, I was able to turn it off and back on and it was fine. Finally three days ago, the car just died completely. AAA came and jumped the car and it would work for a few minutes and then crap out again. The car had to be flatbedded to the dealership, where they are now trying to figure out what’s wrong. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? It feels like the car has never been “right” from the start. Since getting it 2 months ago, it’s been in the shop for 8 days and counting.
YOUCH! So sorry.... aside from a few minor creaks, ours has been great since they fixed the WiFi. I think her Bluetooth still has a popping sound sometimes, and I’m not sure if she’s using CarPlay or not... she hasn’t said anything recently. I’m really sorry yours is having major issues. Please keep us posted on what they diagnose/find out.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

I think we are having the same issue now, car failed to accelerate >30 mph after stop light with every warning popping up. It would not allow me to shift to park, had to turn car off, step out and get back in. Went to dealer twice for software and computer updates. Got it back today, took 2 trips around town, pulled into garage and before I could shift to park the discovery completely died. Please let me know how your problems are resolved!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

I bleed LR green. But reviews on the new Discovery’s pretty much convince me to never spend $70k on one no matter how loyal an enthusiast. The few people I know who own one have the same problems as everyone else. No thanks. Plenty of other options out there with better ratings and certainly resale.. Sorry for your headache and best of luck.

Quick Reply: 5 Days and already in the shop