Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Heads up Display if not Factory Built

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:00 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Adding Heads up Display if not Factory Built

Hi all, been a few years since I have had a Discovery 2 and I am jumping back in the game with a Disco 5.

Went to the dealership, no 2021+ available and none coming in unless you custom order.

Sales rep mentioned any custom order won't have Heads Up Display (HUD) or 360 camera because of chip shortage and vehicle is now subject to a 2% increase after 10/1 (maybe he was full of **** on that 2%)

Was wondering if heads up display can be added on later either OEM or an 3rd party. Will it display accurate data and navigation from the computer system.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Most sales are full of it ... but not all. I do think that 2% is conservative. For real.
Now, to add a OEM H.U.D. on a Disco without one, you might as well forget it. Aside from prohibitive price (if at all doable) it will be a nightmare to get it right and working as from the factory.
I am in a similar situation as yours, and been researching this for months. If you find one, or a way to link one up with the Pivi, please let me know. Very much interested.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Most sales are full of it ... but not all. I do think that 2% is conservative. For real.
Now, to add a OEM H.U.D. on a Disco without one, you might as well forget it. Aside from prohibitive price (if at all doable) it will be a nightmare to get it right and working as from the factory.
I am in a similar situation as yours, and been researching this for months. If you find one, or a way to link one up with the Pivi, please let me know. Very much interested.
Yea, we are going to build on out on the site, and put our zip code of each dealership in the area to see a few quotes.

I don't know how much haggle room there is going to be with zero supply. I did speak to a dealership in another state who wouldn't sell a new car since we are out of state. Asked about the 2% and he said that is a dealership policy, not a Land Rover policy. Did say he dealership is not doing the 2%, so there is that.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Mudding

So immediately after writing this, went to my daily build a rover on the website.

2022 isn't shown anymore, now its 2023 and all options are changed.

Though it shows Heads up Display as being available.

I didn't know this, but navigation from an iPhone is shown in the drivers digital display? If that is the case, $1000 isn't worth heads up display IMO.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Prices are going up no matter what ... by how much ? who knows.
Like in Defenders, the air suspension is no longer standard, and many many other things.
Not sure where you are but most dealers in FL for example, won't sell to other states. They want you captive there as a service customer. It ain't no shortage of that with a Land Rover - lol
HUD - here is my 2 cents.
I have it in Defender, and I love it. It will show vehicle nav on the projection, speed, and other -relatively basic - info. Would I buy it again ? yes.
Now on my wife's Disco 5 I don't have one. Do I miss it ? Yeah .... kinda... but she doesn't. More like a personal preference. The iPhone or Android won't show up there, on the HUD. If you want that, you may as well get a cheap(ish) phone, and install Sygic, with HUD projection.
Works best when the sun is not fully from the front. Other than that, I would say is better than the OEM. Yea, you need to place a phone there, but is not a deal breaker. I got one in my Ford, and I am happy with it. The phone by the way, does not need to have active service. If you really want real traffic updates you can connect it to the car WiFi and ....voila !
Best of luck to you.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Mudding

Like in Defenders, the air suspension is no longer standard, and many many other things.
Not sure where you are but most dealers in FL for example, won't sell to other states. They want you captive there as a service customer. It ain't no shortage of that with a Land Rover - lol
HUD - here is my 2 cents.
I have it in Defender, and I love it. It will show vehicle nav on the projection, speed, and other -relatively basic - info. Would I buy it again ? yes.
Now on my wife's Disco 5 I don't have one. Do I miss it ? Yeah .... kinda... but she doesn't. More like a personal preference. The iPhone or Android won't show up there, on the HUD. If you want that, you may as well get a cheap(ish) phone, and install Sygic, with HUD projection.
Works best when the sun is not fully from the front. Other than that, I would say is better than the OEM. Yea, you need to place a phone there, but is not a deal breaker. I got one in my Ford, and I am happy with it. The phone by the way, does not need to have active service. If you really want real traffic updates you can connect it to the car WiFi and ....voila !
Best of luck to you.
If your using iphone navigation it won't show up there? What about in the digital speedometer area?

I can't see myself using the Land Rover navigation over iPhone.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Nothing from iPhone or Android phone is showing on heads up display.
Things that are shown in HUD are: Speed, speed recognition, LR navigation ( arrows and directions ) and other minor things. It is not a projection of your navigation from the phone or the full map from LR the head unit, onto the Head Up Display.
I like the nav from LR, but in all honesty, the Google Maps, or even iPhone maps are by far superior to LR. In fact I would go so far to say that they are probably the best. Google has probably the fastest re-routing, learns your patterns, and even let's you know if there is a speed trap. Yes, LR nav has a "live update" via your cellular connection if you have one, but I would not trust it 100%. Then again, this is just me.
Most of the times, I don't even bother to set the destination on my LR, I just use the phone connected to the head unit, with Android auto.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:52 PM
Mudding

Nothing from iPhone or Android phone is showing on heads up display.
Things that are shown in HUD are: Speed, speed recognition, LR navigation ( arrows and directions ) and other minor things. It is not a projection of your navigation from the phone or the full map from LR the head unit, onto the Head Up Display.
I like the nav from LR, but in all honesty, the Google Maps, or even iPhone maps are by far superior to LR. In fact I would go so far to say that they are probably the best. Google has probably the fastest re-routing, learns your patterns, and even let's you know if there is a speed trap. Yes, LR nav has a "live update" via your cellular connection if you have one, but I would not trust it 100%. Then again, this is just me.
Most of the times, I don't even bother to set the destination on my LR, I just use the phone connected to the head unit, with Android auto.
Gotcha, thanks for the insight. If using NAV from your phone does it project to either the infotainment or driver display?

Old 10-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Strange. When I view the 2023 build info online, air suspension is standard even on the base model (which was not the case in 2018 when I ordered mine). Look in the CAPABILITY AND DYNAMICS section

Agree on HUD - I have it on mine and find it great for current speed and speed limit info right there in front of you. Not a deal breaker but v pleased with it. My wife finds it great too

On the question of iPhone / android display, on mine it mirrors to the infotainment screen (not onto the digital dashboard). But the pivi system might give more options? I find the infotainment screen is fine for CarPlay use.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BritCars
Strange. When I view the 2023 build info online, air suspension is standard even on the base model (which was not the case in 2018 when I ordered mine). Look in the CAPABILITY AND DYNAMICS section

Agree on HUD - I have it on mine and find it great for current speed and speed limit info right there in front of you. Not a deal breaker but v pleased with it. My wife finds it great too

On the question of iPhone / android display, on mine it mirrors to the infotainment screen (not onto the digital dashboard). But the pivi system might give more options? I find the infotainment screen is fine for CarPlay use.
So what do you say to the police when your doing 40 in a 25?

Quick Reply: Adding Heads up Display if not Factory Built