New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on possible 2020 Disco 5 purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 01:56 AM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice needed on possible 2020 Disco 5 purchase...

The wife and I went out and looked at vehicles today. We’ve had our eyes on a discovery for a little bit. We test drove a discovery and a Volvo Xc 90. We both preferred the ride height and interior of the disco compared to the Volvo. The Volvo interior was much more spartan. We were/are also looking at the Audi Q7 as well, however we think it looks more like an egg shaped station wagon. It’s just not exciting visually imo, but it seems to always be up top in the rankings. She’s coming from a 9 year old Honda Pilot with 125,000 miles on it. No real problems, except for some premature wear on the brakes and rotors and a torn cv boot. We really like the Disco, but reading all the forums and hearing about copious amounts of reliability issues is scaring the crap out of us, haha. For all the D5 owners out there: would you buy one again? Any other advice? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2020, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Got our 2019 in Oct 2018. So far 16k miles on it. Only had a few smaller issues, but nothing that left us stranded.
It is expensive to service and have a few quirks. Most of the issues were software related and should be fixed in the newer models.

The windshield leak issue is hopefully also now addressed in models coming of the factory line.

We liked the way it drove, the usability with 3 rows that can be used and the air suspension. It does offer a lot and is different to most other vehicles out there.

However do not expect Toyota & Honda reliability and cost of maintenance. It will take a bit more TLC and will likely have a few issues, but ours has been fine. I need to take it on more offroad trips though.

You get a lot, but it comes at a price. Though I would venture that most of the early issues have been addressed.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All vehicles today can have issues from all manufactures. Evaluate the service department reviews of manufactured dealers some are way better then others. I have a 2018 discovery last built in England that has been fine minus windshield issue and transmission leak which were taken care of and were known issues for that year. The new plant has been operational for some time and has worked out production details on the discovery.
Most issues now are with information updates to vehicles computers and screens. Service departments are key issues today when selecting vehicles. All service dept. try to up sell so know what is really needed and recommended schedules. This forum is great for that and asking for opinions. I would buy again because of the great service department I have. I've owed a Range Rover sport and 2 LR4's. None with any major issues. Key is always maintenance

Old 05-10-2020, 06:06 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide on disco Hse package with 4 zone air condition is needed for rear passengers especially if planning on using third row. Good luck and enjoy!!
Discovery are heavier vehicles so brakes can be issues like in pilot as can be tire wear.

present vehicles:
2018 discovery
2013 LR4 wanted the v8
previous
2013 Range Rover Sport
2016 LR 4

Last edited by GCRover; 05-10-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

For the money I’d be looking at something else.

Lexus GX460 is very comfortable if you can ignore the grille. And reliable.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:01 AM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

I’m definitely not expecting Toyota/Honda reliability. I just don’t want to live at the shop. I’m hoping that the 2020 models will have even more of the kinks worked out since that update has been around since 2017. Luckily, I looked in to my local dealer and they have great ratings 4.8 out of 5 from over 250 reviews. I’m probably not going to purchase from them though, as they don’t have what we want in stock and I’m not sure I can get a suitable price from them. I think we would go with the landmark edition- comes with 4 zone climate control. Will probably get good use from the 3rd row. If the wife would be ok with a 5 seater, I’d go X5 all day long.

I like the Lexus GX 460. It’s a bit more cumbersome, but ultra reliable. My biggest problem with it is the Tech/interior is way outdated. No Apple carplay or Android auto. It hasn’t had a re-do in ten years.it just seems to be at the end of it’s life cycle. That grille, though!

Old 05-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

We just ordered what we wanted, figured it was expensive and wanted the colors and options we preferred. Obviously economic terms are not as good on custom orders.

The 4 zone climate is a must for 3 rows. If you search here you will see people complaining if they didn’t get it.

I believe air suspension and 2 spd tranfer case is std on 3 rd row models, but definitely get that.

I would also say the high end meridian sound is worth it, if you like audio.

Similar get the tow bar and cargo cover if you want when you order. They are very pricey to add after the fact.

Definitely research the options you want before getting it. It becomes a lengthy process to figure out, but worth it.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

A Land Rover is unlikely to leave you stranded, it tends to just be annoying little things. As you point out, 3 years in they have got many kinks ironed out but they do still have some initial quality issues that your dealer will put right.
I have parked my 2019 model up for a month and it was fine when I parked it but now it has gained a rattle in the rear. Obviously temperature related then.
The Toyota/Lexus stuff is more reliable but their vehicle in this class is ancient! The interior didn’t look stylish and super modern when they first brought it out so it’s aged very badly which just makes it worse. Also very old tech and while it’s entirely subjective I think the exterior is in some ways ugly and in some ways just dull, like someone phoned their work in. The interior styling team definitely did. I also find them dull to drive and I don’t get any special vibe from their vehicles. I would never buy one no matter the reliability just because I am looking for more than that, especially at this price point. But some people just care reliability, running cost and residual values so nothing else matters to them. From many YouTube reviews you’d think it’s all anyone cares about... but that’s not the case and that’s why there are different vehicles for different wants.
You seem to be going into it with your eyes open, just bear in mind you will experience the odd rattle and misbehaving electrical something or other (which often fix themselves) so if you can’t put up with that kind of thing and go to the dealer for the slightest issue as soon as they happen you may end up frustrated with the number of visits you make...
That said, I’ve had mine 9 months and it hasn’t been back to the dealer even once. However I do have a rattle in the back that comes and goes with temperature, possibly one in the passenger door area too. And the storage behind the hvac controls is often not accessible unless I pull on the volume **** at the same time I press the open button. All temperature related and minor stuff that will get dealt with in one visit when it goes in for service. If something was flat out not working I’d take it in immediately of course...

No regrets so far (despite this being the my first Land Rover after a trouble free Jeep Wrangler and many trouble free Fords, and from a guy who tells everyone to never buy a Land Rover).

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 05-12-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Our 2005 LR3 HSE and current 2019 D5 TD SE have been the least reliable cars we've owned. The most reliable were a 2000 Xterra, 2005 Pilot, 2008 Sequoia and 2012.5 RDX. Somewhere in the middle was a 2003 Volvo S60 T5. We didn't own the 2017 Disco Sport long enough to make a determination though there was some brake work done. Having said that, over many hard and fast KM carrying bikes, skis, dogs, trailers, we've never been stranded (touch wood)

Some advise:
  1. Get to know the dealer, I've learnt plenty sitting in the service reception.
  2. With the Landys, we always get a loaner vehicle when getting service. If a service takes longer, you've probably got a nice Rangey or Jaguar to drive
  3. Don't own past warranty expiration
  4. If you're worried about reliability, get the least amount of equipment you need.

We've come back to LR a few times, so clearly they work for us. Great cars, it sounds like you have a good dealer.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

You'll definitely see a lot more negative posts of issues on forums. That's often why people come to them looking for help

Our D5 is nearly 2 years old. 28k miles. No serious issues. Couple of early model annoyances that they addressed at first service. Nothing since then. We had a LR4 for 6+ years before that without any issues either.

We did custom build (first time ever) as the ones at the dealers didn't have what we wanted. Get the head up display. Yes - $700 gimmick but it's amazing to have the speed limit and the speed you are driving right there in your line of sight. And navigation turns too

I like the drive pro system with adaptive cruise and lane steering assist - makes long runs very relaxing

Consider roof rails and tow hitch. We got both / never used yet but cheap and easy when buying and much more expensive to add afterwards.

Good luck. It's a very comfortable car for eating up the miles

Quick Reply: Advice needed on possible 2020 Disco 5 purchase...