Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another tires thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Another tires thread

OK, so have spent the last two hours scouring over threads in this and other forums and though there is good information I figured I'd still want to get opinions on my specific dilemma, so please don't hate me for starting "another tire thread".

Quick background: My wife's 2017 Disco 5 HSE 3.0 Petrol has been on urban/suburban family hauling duty since new. It is on the OEM 20'' wheels and its second Goodyear Eagle F1 stock tire set. This year we have finally gotten to take it off road. Nothing hardcore, but few fun trails in GA and now FL. For now, at least, it's main purpose will continue being the family hauler, but we have enjoyed taking it off road and want to keep doing so and gradually get into some more challenging trails. To be able to do so I think it is sensible to get off road tires. I do not want to alter the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination just because I am particular about not altering overall geometry/specs (would be a different story if I was building a toy, but again not the case here). Based on this I see two options:
  • I swap the current Eagle F1s for a daily driving friendly off road tire in exactly the same size of the current tires, which basically seems to limit me to a couple options, given the OEM size (255/55 R20).
  • I get a second set of wheels to have them for when we go play with it. I figured that would give me more options as I could play with wheel/tire size combination while maintaining the overall dimensions. Still would want that second set to be relatively highway friendly as in some cases we'll drive 700-900 miles on highway to get to interesting trails (e.g. GA or NC/SC).
Would like to get people's perspective on these two options and if you think the second one is the way to go, any ideas/recommendations on wheel/tire combinations

The following users liked this post:
runNride (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you, I have considered this (two-part) question. I think it all depends on what you will do with the vehicle. My 2020 LR5 is my daily driver, but I wanted to be able to go camping wherever I wanted, some overloading and discovery jaunts. But like most of us, we need to drive a lot of highway miles to get to the beginning of our trip. So I went with 275/55/20 (OE size) Falken AT3. They will do the trick on most if not all I can throw at them, they are very quite, they are comfortable (though you may need take the pressure down at bit). I felt it was a good middle ground between OE tires and M/T. So far, no regrets, but truthfully not been on anything but forest roads as I live in Coastal South Carolina and there isn't much nearby. If I was going to spend weekends in hardcore mud or rock situations, I might reconsider. But then again, I would probably reconsider the choice of vehicle for that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by runNride; 04-05-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Juancl (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone running Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus?

I am considering them vs the Falken AT3. I have the same needs as runNride. I can gleam no material differences, performance or styling. I've run the original Scorpion A/T on a Jeep a while back which I was happy with and is why Im leaning Pirelli.

WILDPEAK A/T3W A vs SCORPION ALL TERRAIN PLUS

Old 04-07-2021, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It’s really hard to find a proper group test of AT tyres including stopping distances on tarmac in wet weather etc.
I did find one slightly dated video on YouTube where Yokohama Geolanders wiped the floor with the others but they didn’t include some of the more popular AT tyres however I doubt the likes of a BFG would perform as good on road although I suspect they would be much better off road.
Until I see such a comparison I’m thinking of going for the Geolanders when the time comes as I don’t want to sacrifice wet weather performance on the road and end up in an accident just for better off road ability and a cool look as the vehicle will be on the road >99% of the time...

1979rover (04-07-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 PM
8th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 255/55R20 and have been very pleased with them. Exact size match and good performance off and on road. Maybe a little more road noise.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone is near Albany NY I have a pristine set of Blizzaks that came off my 2018 D-5. 20" They have less than 5K on them and are very quiet and ride nice. Good compromise between off road and all season. $450.00

Old 04-12-2021, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with the Pirelli Scorpion AT+. Amazon and Walmart had them for $165 a tire. Too good a deal to pass. Will post a pick once installed.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty happy with the PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN PLUS. Very quiet so far and no rubbing. I haven't had a chance to get them off road yet. I went with 275/55/20. I guess I over paid at Americas tire at 197, but my local guys have been so good to me over the years.

Juancl (04-15-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to hijack, but is anyone running 285's on their Disco?

I have a set of 21" wheels/tires for daily/highway use and thinking about getting a bit more agressive tire on my second set of 20" wheels for off-road/overlanding.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think 285's are a little to wide. Full turns with the 275's are close to rubbing. I don't have any experience with anything larger. I would ask around though.

Quick Reply: Another tires thread