Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo / tonneau cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Cargo / tonneau cover?

I'm sure I saw a retractable cargo area cover in early video reviews of the D5, and I assume it was an accessory, but I don't see it listed in the accessories catalogue (and my HSE Lux didn't come with one).
I have the 7 seat package but I see no reason why I can't install it while the seats are in their usual stowed position.

I can't seem to find an official part being sold online, although I do see an aftermarket one on Amazon for $165. (I'm going to guess they're at least 3 times that from Land Rover)

I'd go with that on the assumption it's probably from the same factory as it's hardly worth making fakes for such a niche thing, but if it's not I'm worried it might be cheap and rattly...

Anyone have a genuine (or copy) cargo area cover on their D5?

Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My '19 D5 HSE Lux w/7 seats has the "Loadspace Cover". It was listed on the window sticker as a $155 option.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Same here , HSE lux 7 seat and the cargo cover was a $155 or so option.

It is 2 pieces, one is the rollout cover that needs to be removed for the 3rd row to come up. There is a place to clip it in behind the 3rd row when it is up. The second piece clips into tailgate, it also covers the area behind the 3rd row when it is up. This piece can be removed, and needs to for large items all the way to the back.

Check with a dealer as it should be an accessory that can be ordered.

Last edited by andries; 09-28-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Found it here, seems a lot more pricey than when ordered. For full coverage you need items 12 & 13. At least you have the part numbers now.
https://www.landrovermerriamparts.co...trim-rear-body

Old 09-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks very much all!

For clarity:

Do I really need that 2nd small piece (at $276 <splutter>) if I only use the vehicle in 5 seat mode?
As in how much gap is there between the tailgate and the rollout cover if I don't have it?

EDIT:
I can see the gap in this video:
Seems like I really do need both pieces even in 5 seat mode.

At $150 vs nearly $750 $this afternarket one is quite tempting but I don't see how that extra piece could stay horizontal so clearly not from the OEM factory...

https://amzn.to/2nv0TpJ

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the real deal even though it's highway robbery for a retractable cloth in my humble opinion)...

Thanks again, especially for the part numbers and a site I can order from online as it avoids a trip to the dealer...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 09-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you really need it? It seems I always remove them from my cars (didn’t get one with the Disco). With the tinting in the rear it’s really difficult to see in.

Just curious what’s driving this expensive purchase.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I’ve always had them in my vehicles and not given them a 2nd thought, so seems weird without it but as you say, with the tint it’s not easy to see in anyway. I’ll be ordering one for my wife’s little Kia Soul too and even that is like $180 or so if I remember correctly and it’s tiny although solid at least...
But I will be putting an Engel refrigerator in there among other things so I’d like to keep it out of view and possibly help it stay cool by giving it the extra shade.
Worth it?
Not really at $750, but would have been at $150.
I wish I’d been in a position to custom order the vehicle but I needed a vehicle right then and there so I had to choose from what was on the lot, and the cover didn’t enter my mind at the time plus I was concentrating more on ensuring I got as many of the non retro fittable features I wanted as possible (like interior color, air ride, sound system etc).
I ordered it earlier this afternoon so no going back now...

Old 09-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Cheers.

I was going to suggest just keeping an eye on Craigslist or eBay.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I was a bit taken aback when I saw the prices.
You can likely still cancel the order if you cal the place, they were very reasonable when I ordered the cargo barrier and divider as shipping was crazy expensive. Ended up being cheaper to pick up from my local dealer.

You can check here or maybe see if the dealer you got it from can order it as part of a new D5 and then pass it along to you for a more reasonable price. Or perhaps one of the online forums or Facebook groups you can get someone to order or sell theirs.

The OEM unit rear piece does help to cover the space , see this thread
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...e-cover-95097/

Either way, I get that sometimes it can be a hassle to try and get it through other channels, but still crazy to bump the price so much for parts after the sale. 2x maybe, but 5x is a bit crazy.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I did think to post a wanted ad, but who knows how long it might take to get one...
As for my local dealer, while the sales guy is super helpful given they’re in an area that mostly buys Range Rovers I suspect they’re not going to do much to help me save $$$ and in any case it might take a few months to get a new D5 on with the pieces to appropriate.

I knew it was going to be expensive (I didn’t know the factory option price) as the aftermarket unit was $150 for the D5 but more importantly a 12” wide parcel shelf for my wife’s Kia was $180. Given the Kia was that much I expected $500-600 for Land Rover (even though it’s in no way possible for them to justify that) but I was surprised it came to $700 at supposedly a discounted rate.
Pure robbery by LR.

Quick Reply: Cargo / tonneau cover?