New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a used Disco V - but closest dealer 100 miles away. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO is 7 years from inservice date so he’d be looking at 2023 or 2024 before it expires

Old 03-29-2020, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetters
The problem with the Highlander is zero room in the 3rd row (its good for children under the age of 8, but not any taller). I really wanted one but with three children and one wanting to sit on their own in the back. it just wasnt an option .... even the Lexus 350 RX L was just toocramped in the 3rd row for my 13 year old. Only the Disco had decent room. I was hugely dissapointed with the Land Cruiser, the roominess wasnt that great and its incredibly dated and plasticy, even the platinum version was just cheap inside and the same price as the baseline Disco!!!
come back in 5 years with the price of an LC vs the price of a disco...

a friend just paid $21,000 for a 2007 LC.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Honda Odyssey

Rides like a dream and the kids can play soccer in the back.

The following users liked this post:
rossrobbx (06-23-2024)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Honda Odyssey

Rides like a dream and the kids can play soccer in the back.
definitely the best caravan on the market.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jellis01
CPO is 7 years from inservice date so he’d be looking at 2023 or 2024 before it expires
All CPO warranties are not 7 years.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
I would ask how “into” cars you are.
If you see them as practical, reliable family transport then I wouldn’t suggest any LR product. That’s not to say they’re as bad as the internet commenters would have you believe as they’re unlikely to leave you stranded but gadgets may randomly stop working or develop an annoying rattle. Out of warranty all these things will be extremely expensive to fix.
However this is the price for driving something far more interesting, stylish and better to drive than say a Toyota Land Cruiser which will be more reliable (but not as bulletproof as again internet commenters suggest, I’ve had friends who own them have to replace electric windows, AC compressors, alternators, starters, fuel pumps, injectors, turbos and even out entire new engines in although the latter was 12 years old with 130k on the clock, but still).
You need a good dealer to go with the warranty and who will supply you with a loaner if it’s your daily driver. The same applies to an independent shop, if they need to wait 2-4 weeks for a part (or longer I’d say a replacement windshield) will they provide you with a loaner to use?
So whether you should buy one would depend why you want it, how dependent you will be on it, how tolerant you are of minor ****les and if you have cash available to fix these things out of warranty because everything is expensive.
Very good question, and I suppose I should have have prefaced the original post by stating that I am a long time car guy. It's part of the reason I am considering a LR and not a Highlander. Started with a few Acuras (Type S and A-Spec vehicles), then onto Volvos (many, but most notably two XC90s [one V8] and a lovely V70R), and then onto M-sport BMWs. The new SUV will replace my F10 535i x-Drive M Sport.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:12 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cru_jones
come back in 5 years with the price of an LC vs the price of a disco...

a friend just paid $21,000 for a 2007 LC.
Yes, exactly. I do like the LC quite a bit, but the prices are astronomical. Part of that notion that they are bulletproof forever I suppose.

I am looking to keep this vehicle in the mid 40k range. Disco and XC90 are probably the front runners. Maybe GLS450. Space/usability, fit and finish are of top concern. All CPO or low mileage.

Last edited by HS2Esq; 03-29-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HS2Esq
Yes, exactly. I do like the LC quite a bit, but the prices are astronomical. Part of that notion that they are bulletproof forever I suppose.

I am looking to keep this vehicle in the mid 40k range. Disco and XC90 are probably the front runners. Maybe GLS450. Space/usability, fit and finish are of top concern. All CPO or low mileage.
I bought my Disco in December of last year, brand new. I did a ton of research and test drives before making my choice and I think I did make the right choice for me. The 2020 Disco, XC90 and Lexus 350 RXL were the three choices I narrowed down on. The XC90 was gorgeous (I used to own an XC70 years ago), drove beautifully and gorgeous inside too. The third row was manageable and storage options were pretty good. The 350 RXL was the one I really wanted but the third row was just too small, my 13 year old was perched with her knees almost on the roof!!!. I ended up with the Disco over the XC90 simply for appeal (both my wife and I felt the Volvo lacks the sexiness that the Disco has!!!). The Disco has the worst trunk/boot space of all three, but the finish is very similar between the Volvo and Land Rover. With regards longevity, I believe Toyota/Lexux is definitely the strong leader due to being the only manufacturer to use only their manufactured parts in the engine/drivetrain construction (even Honda use some OEM parts in their engine/drivetrains).

Old 03-31-2020, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I went with the disco for the tow capacity. Having a 3rd row doesn't matter much except to my wife and the grandkids. But now that I've put nearly 20k miles on it I'm glad I went this route. The air ride make this a great long distance car and being able to pull nearly 4 tons us fantastic. However, every visit to the dealer means a call to my financial adviser.

The following 2 users liked this post by n559br:
David Hirshberg (04-10-2020), gmfain (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 03:17 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

200 mile round trip for a service is a lot! As to the car I wouldn't own a a Landy without a warranty and a close by dealer. We went from an 05 LR3 HSE into a 08 Sequoia Platinum prior to a 2017 Disco Sport HSE then the current 2019 Disco TD SE.

The LC is a very nice car. It's cousin Sequoia is a cheap and cheerful alternative. We honestly tried our best to destroy our Sequoia to no avail. 230,000KM loaded with family, dogs, bikes, ski boxes, 35' trailer. Plenty of room and better fuel efficiency than the LR3. A bit plasticky and old fashioned but nothing broke. Our 08 was rated to 9100LBs towing. 380HP and surprisingly quick.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by HS2Esq

Quick Reply: Considering a used Disco V - but closest dealer 100 miles away. Thoughts?