New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a used Disco V - but closest dealer 100 miles away. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

The XC90 is really nice and makes a great family SUV.
I advised a friend who was considering a Disco to get one instead and he’s very pleased with it.
It’s arguably a better family car for most people as long as you don’t need the off road ability of a Land Rover or the romantic image of the brand.
An LC is the best option if all you care is reliability and resale value. (And nothing wrong with that, it’s entirely rational to prioritize such things).

I’m a long time car enthusiast so I consider more factors than resale value and perceived reliability. But I wouldn’t buy anything with a high chance of leaving me stranded either. I was all set for an XC90 myself but the two local Volvo dealers didn’t seem interested in my custom (maybe I should have worn a suit?) but ironically the more upmarket LR dealer had great staff who couldn’t do enough and that gave me the confidence to go with what my heart wanted, the LR, on the assumption they would fix any annoying problems. It seems I’ve been lucky as apart from a rear seat rattle due the base not being clipped in (fixed by me) and the storage door behind the AC controls not opening without help (I’ll get them to fix that at first annual service) it’s been fine the first 8 months or at least it has once it got a couple of software updates which fixed the multimedia ****les and a transmission shift annoyance. Others are not so lucky with leaking windshields, rattling and cracking sunroofs and more. But not much in the way of being left stranded.
Given your distance from the dealer though, I’d think long and hard if you’ll want to make trips there to get stuff sorted vs buying say an XC90 which may have closer support and need less of it in any case...

Old 04-06-2020, 06:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
The XC90 is really nice and makes a great family SUV.
I advised a friend who was considering a Disco to get one instead and he’s very pleased with it.
It’s arguably a better family car for most people as long as you don’t need the off road ability of a Land Rover or the romantic image of the brand.
An LC is the best option if all you care is reliability and resale value. (And nothing wrong with that, it’s entirely rational to prioritize such things).

I’m a long time car enthusiast so I consider more factors than resale value and perceived reliability. But I wouldn’t buy anything with a high chance of leaving me stranded either. I was all set for an XC90 myself but the two local Volvo dealers didn’t seem interested in my custom (maybe I should have worn a suit?) but ironically the more upmarket LR dealer had great staff who couldn’t do enough and that gave me the confidence to go with what my heart wanted, the LR, on the assumption they would fix any annoying problems. It seems I’ve been lucky as apart from a rear seat rattle due the base not being clipped in (fixed by me) and the storage door behind the AC controls not opening without help (I’ll get them to fix that at first annual service) it’s been fine the first 8 months or at least it has once it got a couple of software updates which fixed the multimedia ****les and a transmission shift annoyance. Others are not so lucky with leaking windshields, rattling and cracking sunroofs and more. But not much in the way of being left stranded.
Given your distance from the dealer though, I’d think long and hard if you’ll want to make trips there to get stuff sorted vs buying say an XC90 which may have closer support and need less of it in any case...
The XC90 is gaining speed in this debate - they are very, very nice (would only consider the inscription trim). I do need to do a little more research on the turbo/supercharged 4 banger however. Not fully sure how I feel about it. I've also already owned two XC90's in the past (previous gen), so there's that to consider for another time around.

On another note, the 2021 VW Atlas (SEL Premium R Line Trim) has also gotten our attention recently. While I am concerned with things like fit & finish, drivability, etc., my wife's chief interest is in obtaining a big, functional family vehicle. 2nd row captain's chairs have nearly become a make a break point for her, along with a usable third row. The Atlas seems to do very well in these categories.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I would not want to reward VW with my money after dieselgate.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:35 AM
Winching
Received 331 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
I would not want to reward VW with my money after dieselgate.
don't forget these too: Don't give them any money either.

Contents

Old 07-31-2020, 07:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a reason why LR is dead last in JD Power, along with Audi, but at the top of owner loyalty ratings. Bought my first LR a 2017 Discovery, and it has had a litany of problems in the 70k miles I’ve driven so far, covered in other posts if you search for me. . I have a dealer 5 miles from where I live now but I drive 500 to a knowledgeable one I know, since the dealer where I live now is a multi-brand dealer with little LR knowledge, especially about diesels. Bought it because of towing needs. Was only one of 3 non-huge diesel SUV’s that could tow over 5K pounds. Had a VW Toureg TDI prior for the same reason and thanks to dieselgate, they gave me what I paid new for my car after 5 years of use! That let me move up to the Discovery.

Love the car, and so does everyone in the family, but would get a gas version next time. Hard to explain, but I remember my dad always mentioning the old Packard slogan “Ask the man who owns one”. Seems to apply to these, if you are a car enthusiast. If you just view cars as a means of transportation, then get a Honda Pilot or something.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Well - Porsche only got nailed because of the VW engine in the Panamera and the one Cayenne model... They are still on MY list of do gooders...

Old 08-05-2020, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The vast majority of JLR products have been great - despite the multiple lemons reported here. My dealer is close but with my schedule, they might as well be 100 miles away in the convenience area. With that being said, I will be replacing my D5 this year with another JLR product.

If you like the vehicle, the odds are in your favor that you will have a trouble free vehicle (not perfect), get it and enjoy it. It is a major purchase but do not overthink it to the point you do not do it and enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
Elzot (06-25-2024)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

The Atlas has great interior room, specifically the cargo area (55.5 cuft with the third row down and near a 100 cuft with all seats down). It's one that took a little time to grow on me but the more I see out on the road the more I like the look. It checks a lot of the boxes for a family hauler with added style.

Last edited by stillruns; 08-05-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Followup to my 2020 post. Ended up trading in the 2017 TDI for a CPO 2018 gas version with 50k miles after too many problems with the diesel. Loved the car, just not the engine. At 115k now and trying to decide how long I can keep it. Has been great but I drive a lot on long lonely roads with no cell service in Wyoming and Colorado and wonder if I’ll get stranded somewhere. Looked at a new 2024 Disco but they are decontented and cheap now, missing many of the features I have on the 2018!

Old 06-18-2024, 09:26 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerTouaregFan
Followup to my 2020 post. Ended up trading in the 2017 TDI for a CPO 2018 gas version with 50k miles after too many problems with the diesel. Loved the car, just not the engine. At 115k now and trying to decide how long I can keep it. Has been great but I drive a lot on long lonely roads with no cell service in Wyoming and Colorado and wonder if I’ll get stranded somewhere. Looked at a new 2024 Disco but they are decontented and cheap now, missing many of the features I have on the 2018!
Time for a defender me thinks

The following 2 users liked this post by adam5:
bkjecu94 (06-21-2024), gmfain (06-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Considering a used Disco V - but closest dealer 100 miles away. Thoughts?