Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5 Off-Road Mechanical Details?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DeusMexMachina
I am showing this video to my wife next time she starts talking about the Volvo XC90 T8. I am just happy she has a dislike of BMW and Mercedes.

Regarding the winter tires used in the test. Due to the pandemic I kept winter Nokians on our Mazda CX5 through the summer since we are likely to part ways with it soon, and I have been surprised by how little the tires have worn with local daily driving. It must not get hot enough in Seattle to affect them. We only had a hand full of days in the 90s this summer.

Seeing how well they held up made me think to go with all-weather Nokians year round for the Disco instead of seasonal switches between all-season/winter tires. I know some of you might laugh at winter tires on a 4x4, but I would say a lot of you live in Texas! Anyways, the all-weather Nokians I wanted are not available in 255/55/20 so I am going with the Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs as a year round tire. I am a bit weary about A/Ts with the snow-flake symbol since I assume they barely meet the requirement but I will give them a shot. I am having the Toyos put on today and the mountains passes around use are getting feet of snow as I type so I will find out soon if they are good enough.
I've got a snowflake in a mountain on the bfgs.... snowflake just has to do with geometry and nothing to do with compound if i recall... (you're right, I dont bother caring in south east texas lol)... had summer tires on my mustang and that thing would lose traction easy just punching it on the on ramp when below 65° though.
as far as the Volvo... would compelling her to test drive one fix the issue?

Old 11-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
I've got a snowflake in a mountain on the bfgs.... snowflake just has to do with geometry and nothing to do with compound if i recall... (you're right, I dont bother caring in south east texas lol)... had summer tires on my mustang and that thing would lose traction easy just punching it on the on ramp when below 65° though.
as far as the Volvo... would compelling her to test drive one fix the issue?
I had to shake my head at the Discovery Sport's performance in the midsize edition by the same channel. The presenter says the local LR dealer was driving so that may have been the issue 😂.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeteocles
Hey, nice ride! Looks like you are running Toyo Open Country AT(III?). What size tires are you running, and did you add a lift?
Thanks! They are stock size - 255/55/20

No lift, just the air suspension

Old 11-13-2020, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DeusMexMachina
I had to shake my head at the Discovery Sport's performance in the midsize edition by the same channel. The presenter says the local LR dealer was driving so that may have been the issue 😂. Midsize Battle

Is the Discovery Sport using Haldex?