Diesel vs gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 08:57 AM
JMV
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel vs gasoline?

Hello,

im still on the hunt for a CPO disco V. I’m pretty particular on spec and having a really hard time finding something that works. One popped up that fits most of my criteria but they’re asking $10k more than I was planning on spending.

I’he started searching nationwide, and did find a completely loaded CPO 2017 HSE Lux, which isn’t my preferred color but has every option I could ask for. Only thing is - it’s a diesel, and I don’t know how to feel about that!

I’ve read here about the DEF costs. I’m going to see if I can find one local to drive, but I’m worried about the character of the car. I’m coming from a Ford Edge Sport, which is quite a bit smaller and lighter, with a very torquey twin turbo V6. I’ve always liked sportier cars, but I guess I’m going to be pretty much giving up any sporting pretensions by going to a Discovery anyway, so perhaps the diesel isn’t such an unreasonable choice?

Any input on overall expected running costs? I don’t really keep tabs on diesel cost, and I’m wondering how differing fuel costs, higher expected mpg, and DEF costs balance out.

thanks so much for any input you can provide!

Last edited by JMV; 11-21-2021 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
clamp007 (05-05-2024)
Old 11-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just picked up a TF^ 2019 HSE Lux. I have never had a diesel before, lots of SUVs over the years. I buy my DEF at Sam Club, near nothing and use a funnel. Voila easy. I have not had to change the oil or oil filter yet. At that time I plan on changing all necessary filters. Looks like if I do it all myself should be around $150.

Average 21 MPG which is great. My 2020 Defender averages 17 with the P400.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I picked up a 2019 HSE LUX TD6 never owned a diesel before wanted to give it a try and it worked out great diesel ain't that cheap in Canada but DEF is not really expensive and the fuel economy is amazing and don't even get me started on towing it tows like a dream. The Gas engine is much more punchy but it drinks gas a lot so I prefer diesel.

Old 11-21-2021, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want sporty I'd go with the petrol/gas engine. If you want fuel efficiency diesel is a bit better. Both are good towing engines

Unfortunately you can't be too choosy in the current used car market so you might have to compromise on something. Personally I'd choose powertrain first, specs and options second and color third. But you'll have to decide your own priority order

Old 11-22-2021, 04:00 AM
Winching
Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

I buy DEF in bulk, when needed, it does have an expiration date. If your doing mostly short trips, go with the gas guzzler. good luck!

Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Diesel in the V is great. Not a sporty SUV so it fits the character of the vehicle very well in my opinion. Around town seems faster as well because of the huge torque advantage over the gas. MPG and Comfort win out over the Gas In my view. I would never have considered the gas, if the Disco didn’t come in diesel I wouldn’t have bought one. If you drive lots of short city type trips though I would avoid the diesel, as the car needs hwy miles to run clean and not get clogged up.

Masbury (12-06-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

D5 TD6 owner here.

The diesel comes into its own on the highway. If you doing lots of highway driving, its a GREAT car. Pulls strong, pulls hills strong, amazing MPG.

I came from a 4.4L V8 LR3. It doesn't have as good of pickup and acceleration but only noticeable if you are looking for it. The TD6 has plenty of power for normal-people driving. And if you really want it to do something, just keep the RPMs in the 2-3k range and it'll put you in your seat. Suspension, handling, and steering are very good in this car. Highway speeds are comfortable and relaxed.

On the DEF, or more importantly, the emission control system. If you gonna drive it around town all the time, then the diesel emission control system is gonna get angry with you. However if you take it out on the highway for an hour or so every ~500 miles, it'll be fine. Also minimize idling time. Idle = engine death (for ALL engines!!). I know in the US, our diesel culture is to sit there and let the engine idle for an hour...for reasons. Don't do this. Sure coming off the highway, letting the turbo cool off for 3~5 minutes is always a good idea but just sitting there idling, nah.

The actual DEF fluid is available everywhere. Don't get "bulk pump DEF" fluid unless you transferring it to a container then to your vehicle. Also don't store half-opened DEF containers. This crap DOES deteriorate once you open it. That said, in 5,000 miles, my D5 used 2.5~3 gallons of DEF. This is mainly highway driving and towed a 3k trailer for like, 100 miles.

This D5 TD6 is part of our family vehicle plan. Its the "long haul" car. Just came back from the in-laws, cruising up the highway with lane keep + Adaptive cruise control on, getting 29.6 mpg. The legs on this car is AWESOME.

Running costs have been low. Oil changes are roughly the same price, fuel costs are WAY lower. Only "extra" cost is the fuel additive I choose to use and the DEF fluid. But the DEF is like, $20/5,000 miles (no towing). So not too bad really.

Overall, treat it good and it'll be fine. Its people who say, "awww man its a DANG OLE DIESEL YOU CAN DO WHATEVER WWWWWOOOOOOOOO" that have issues with diesels.

mtaylo32 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

A fun tear down of a Td6 here:

Apparently this engine may have failed due to diesel fuel in one of the cylinders. Bad injector? However I did watch another video where a mechanic suggested that failed regens were the cause of most Td6 engine issues, namely fuel in the oil.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Winching
Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Gotta get the diesel out on the hwy regularly.
minimum 88k oil change intervals.
90k on my 17 D5, love it.
diesel torque off road is unstoppable!

clamp007 (05-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sowrco
A fun tear down of a Td6 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3usAxacTXFg

Apparently this engine may have failed due to diesel fuel in one of the cylinders. Bad injector? However I did watch another video where a mechanic suggested that failed regens were the cause of most Td6 engine issues, namely fuel in the oil.
I watch this guy every week... Great videos! He recently did a Jaguar engine that I believe is also the Si6 in my Disco.

Quick Reply: Diesel vs gasoline?