Sponsored by:

Disco 5 vs p400 Defender X test drive comparison done by me

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
C pillar disguised as a "gear carrier."
Which reminds me... slightly more blindspots than the disco but not bad... the active view or whatever the camera review mirror is called was awesome.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Agreed. I have the same engine and I’d describe it as”not slow or locking in power but in no way a performance car” and that’s what I expect (or want) from an SUV to be honest. I just don’t associate them with performance even though I know such things exist.

I just thought a sub 6 second to 60 Defender would be a noticeable improvement over the roughly 7 second Disco. That said, maybe the difference is all in the launch due to the hybrid system and once it’s moving there nothing in it given it’s not much peak power or torque and does weigh more I believe?
Not sure if power delivery was different... and that may be it... the fastest "feeling" car I ever had was a 2004 mustang gt auto naturally aspirated with 4.10 gears... but it wasnt the fastest.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I couldn't find official numbers from Land Rover, but Car & Driver have some.
Given the numbers seem to favor the Disco as the speeds increase but the 0-60 is the same, I suspect the mild hybrid helps off the line, but once moving the aerodynamics and so on favor the Disco.

So seems like your butt dyno is pretty accurate as frankly there isn't much in it in any case:

C/D TEST RESULTS

2020 Defender 110 HSE P400
(2017 Discovery HSE Si6)
60 mph: 6.3 sec (6.3 sec)
100 mph: 17.3 sec (16.4 sec)
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.0 sec (6.9 sec)
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 4.0 sec (3.4 sec)
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.6 sec (4.5 sec)
1/4 mile: 14.8 sec @ 94 mph (14.9 sec @ 95 mph)
Top speed (governor limited): 120 mph (133mph)
Braking, 70–0 mph: 204 ft (186 ft)
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.70 g (0.74g)

Standing-start accel times omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 11-03-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:48 AM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the comparison and write-up. Much more relevant for me than a magazine's blah, blah, blah.

The following users liked this post:
TexasLandmark (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BOHICA
Thanks for the comparison and write-up. Much more relevant for me than a magazine's blah, blah, blah.
I tried to focus on differences but there really were not significant ones besides looks... and people can judge that for themselves. They are both great vehicles... and i figure most in this section have discos... so they know what to expect... if i was coming from a 4runner or q7 or something I'd probably have more to comment on lol

Last edited by TexasLandmark; 11-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasLandmark:
angelboing (11-03-2020), dinkeldorf (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for sharing, so much more useful in comparing to our semi daily driver! How did you find the Pivi Pro entertainment system?

Luckily I haven't needed to be near the dealer would otherwise be tempted to test drive. I'm surprised dealers are trying to mark up still given the nose dive in JLR sales + I've seen a few Defender lease takeovers already locally.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
Thanks for sharing, so much more useful in comparing to our semi daily driver! How did you find the Pivi Pro entertainment system?.
I didn't mess with the system much... it looked very much like what we have in the disco5 with driver display and console display. Nothing obvious anyway.

dinkeldorf (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ahhh thanks. That's what I was worried about (and not that I want to buy a Defender, more when they refresh the Disco). I haven't been able to find whether it has Wireless CarPlay as wireless charging for me is 100% useless without it.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi All,

I actually own both a 2020 Discovery and a 2020 Defender. This is a copy and paste (with a few edits) of a comparison I wrote in the paste, but here is my feedback:

1) I absolutely love the Defender styling. It looks great in photos but even better in person. You get all sorts of looks and thumbs up when driving; people will talk to you when filling up at the gas station—almost like driving an exotic care. If you miss the boxy look of the old Discovery/LR4, then this vehicle may appeal to you.

2) I like the way that the Defender drives/handles. It feels more firmly planted on the road than the Discovery 5--hugs the corners better. The engines sounds almost like an 8 cylinder rather than a 6 cylinder. I have the larger engine (P400) and it has great acceleration. The acceleration is noticeably better than the Disco--especially when switch into sport mode (you slide the gear selector left). During the break in period, you are not supposed to put the pedal to the metal until you surpass the 2,000 mile mark. I almost wonder if the computer programming does something to suppress acceleration during break in period (during the first 2,000 miles). But the acceleration is superior with the P400 engine because there is a 3 liter twin turbo engine PLUS a 48-volt electric supercharger.

3) Because this is a first year model, there are a lot of electric gremlins. SiriusXM will die on me a couple times a week. You can fix the dead Sirius with a radio reboot--you just hold down the radio power button for about 30 seconds. It’s a tad annoying because you then have to reprogram all your favorite stations after the reboot (but at least you don’t have to drive to the dealer to fix).

4) Sometimes the clock will be inaccurate for the first 5 minutes of your drive and then it will display the correct time. And sometimes the time on the instrument panel is different than the time on the infotainment screen (for the first 5 mins of the driver). According to their brochure and articles I have read, there are 2 LTE modems in the vehicle that support over-the-air updates, so I hope these various electronic bugs will be fixed remotely w/o a trip to the dealer.

5) I got a low coolant level warning on my second day. When the engine was hot, it was indeed at the low level marking, but after letting it cool off for 90 minutes, it was at its max level. I basically just added a tablespoon of coolant and I no longer get the low level warning.

6) Occasionally I will get a warning about emergency braking/steering being unavailable, but it goes away after restarting the car or after driving for a few mins.

7) On the Disco, the vehicle comes with a heated front windshield. The First Edition Defender does not (but is available on other Defender models).

8) The lane keep assist feature is MUCH better in the Discovery than the Defender. In the Defender it almost pulls you to the left yellow line on the road when the road bends left. In my opinion, it is dangerous so I turned off lane keep assist after about 2 weeks. I just could not get used to it. I really hope they can improve this with over the air updates.

9) The 3D surround view is very cool in the Defender. The clearsight interior rear view mirror is also very cool—just takes a day or 2 to get used to it. There is more tech on my Defender than the Disco for sure, but some of it is glitchy. The infotainment screen comes on instantly in the Defender--is a tad slower in the Disco.

10) I find that the driver’s and front passenger seat is much more comfortable than the Discovery 5. But the First Edition Model doesn't have massage seats nor cooled seats (I think the X model has cooled seats).The interior of the Defender is more utilitarian than the Disco. I find the interior of the Disco VERY luxurious.

11) The air conditioning system works well. In the Disco and in my former RRS, I could turn the rear AC system off, but I don’t think you can turn the rear system off (or at least I have not figured out how yet). I did figure out how to turn off the 3rd row AC though in the Defender.

12) The button on the door handles to unlock them is on the far right. In the Disco, it is on the far left--which makes it much easier/natural for right-handed people. If you are right-handed, you have to twist your palm up to unlock and open; however, you get used to it after a few days. So the Defender is a total win for lefties.

13) Usable storage: It is superior in the Disco. The door pockets are much bigger in the Disco and many more storage spaces in the Disco. I do like the shelf on the Defender though in the front but there is much more storage in the Disco. The cargo area is better in the Disco because the seats go totally flat. I have the 7 seat Defender, and they don't go fully flat (like the Range Rover Sport); if they do, I can't figure out how....but I don't think they do in the 7 seat Defender. When you read the manual of the Defender, it sounds like only the 5 seat Defender seats go fully flat.

14) In terms of size, it is just a tad longer than the Disco and the Defender is not as wide. They feel like the same size when driving. The Disco is a legit 7 seater; the Defender is not.

20) The recommended service interval is very different between the 2 vehicles: The owners manual recommends that the Disco be serviced every 1 yr or 16,000 miles (which ever comes first) vs. the Defender manual recommends that the vehicle be serviced every 2 years or 21,000 miles (which ever comes first). I did not realize you could go 21,000 miles between oil changes with these new engines and synthetic oils. The 2 year interval is being recommended on more and more Land Rover vehicles (ie, new Disco Sport, new Evoque, Velar 2.0L, RRS 3.0L, RR & RRS 2.0L PHEV, RR & RRS 3.0L)

In summary, I like both vehicles and plan on keeping both for a while.

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

The following 5 users liked this post by Tucker Woods:
angelboing (11-03-2020), canon_mutant (11-04-2020), dinkeldorf (11-03-2020), gmfain (11-04-2020), Troyan2019 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:32 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent comparo...really the appreciate an "owners" view!

Tucker Woods (11-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Disco 5 vs p400 Defender X test drive comparison done by me