Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery V 2017 2.0 sd4 defects at 96k kilometers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery V 2017 2.0 sd4 defects at 96k kilometers

I am driving Land Rover Discovery 2.0 Sd4 HSE with 96,000 km on the road.

I have bought the vehicle in May 2021 and it has been repaired twice. The most recent repair in January 2022 includes a replacement of timing belt and both turbochargers. The belt has stretched. The turbocharges are leaking oil to charge air cooler pipe and lower turbo also lets some exhaust gas though the bypass valve (based on the report from the service shop and without own competence to assess the faults). The first repair was targeting generally the same error codes but with minor fixes.

My intuition says that the defects are not a part of normal ‘wear and tear’ taking into account the age and kilometers. In order to have the seller of the car to cover the substantial expense for the repair I will need to provide evidence that this is actually an abnormal defect and not normal ‘wear and tear’.

Do you have an idea if 1) the defects are to be considered normal considering the model and kilometers and 2) if not what would be the best source to find information to confirm this is not the case?

Old 01-12-2022, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercules
I am driving Land Rover Discovery 2.0 Sd4 HSE with 96,000 km on the road.

1) the defects are to be considered normal considering the model and kilometers and 2) if not what would be the best source to find information to confirm this is not the case?
Here are my 2 cents opinions:
question 1 : definitely not normal, but then again, it depends how the engine has been treated before you got it. However, those engines are not the most reliable, but at the same time, that is a significantly early failure
question 2 : I would move on, and get rid of it some how. It will just get more expensive from here - proving that it was abused or mistreated before ? good luck ! it will be difficult if not impossible.
I love diesels, but those 2 turbos cascaded are its strength and at the same time the weakest point. Most interesting is the belt - that worries me most. Why did it fail, and what subsequential hidden issues are there, waiting to happen.
If I was you, I would not spend much time or money on it.
JLR has fixed the design of this engine starting mid 2018 and it is better now (not that it helps you).