New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in MUD (stuck again...advise/help needed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 10:57 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
Like @ponderosajack said the traction control off helps in this type of situations. Otherwise if the four wheels are spinning it will just cut power and sometimes what you need is enough spin until it picks some traction (also play with the steering to look for traction). As for the front recovery point it is indeed under the plastic cover. The cover is easy to remove before you get stuck, by the time you get stuck you are probably in deep stuff so it will be a pain to remove. Even the JLR dealers on their owner days driving experiences will have a service team onsite removing them ahead of getting on the course.
thanks the traction advice and location of the front recovery point. Why is it hidden to begin with??

Old 12-28-2021, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew424
thanks the traction advice and location of the front recovery point. Why is it hidden to begin with??
95% of Discovery owners will probably never use it (or even wonder if they have one) and keeping it visible would mess up the aerodynamics 😉

Old 12-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Juancl
95% of Discovery owners will probably never use it (or even wonder if they have one) and keeping it visible would mess up the aerodynamics 😉
Hahah ayyy yes aerodynamics of a Land Rover prouduct…

Old 12-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The recovery points are hidden for looks/aerodynamic. In all honesty, for the years I owned my LR3, I never once needed the front recovery point.

If its super sticky mud (which is what it sounds like), doesn't matter what you do. Once the tires slick up, you are done. ANY tire can slick up and thats it. So I guess 1st off, drive smart. But you can do a few things to trim your car to cope with mud better.

1. turn off DSC (its a button by the air suspension). DSC limits throttle control. Usually good but for mud (and other terrains), you want some tire spin. DSC will prevent tire spin, so turn it off. On that note, let the tires spin and let traction control work. Now pay attention and if the car starts sinking, STOP. Spinning yourself down to the frame is bad. Refer to owners manual for turning on/off DSC. I did play with it on a few terrains and while its good for technical driving, in mud/sand (and I guess snow), you want DSC off.

2. Try reversing. Hey, sometimes it works. With TC and spinning tires, sometimes you can get yourself out of the mess you are in.

3. LOL old maxtrax. In all honesty, I'm not a fan and they don't work well on muddy hills. But once again, if you can reverse out, and put them under your front tires, they can work. Top tip: tie a piece of string to them and lay the string off to the side. Sometimes they get buried and that'll make recovering them easier. Or better yet, tie them to the nearest recovery point on your car and let the car pull them out. Side note: carry trash bags for these when you are done. They get nasty.

4. Remove the "slick" from the tires. Take your trusty shovel (or more like, a random stick you found) and try to remove as much mud off the tires as possible. This in conjunction with maxtrax might offer enough grip to get you moving and once moving, you are making progress.

5. Momentum. In mud, keep up your momentum. Don't lift the throttle, don't stop, keep going.

To be clear, none of this is the car's fault. Its just, bad terrain. Bad traction is bad traction.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR Max
The recovery points are hidden for looks/aerodynamic. In all honesty, for the years I owned my LR3, I never once needed the front recovery point.

If its super sticky mud (which is what it sounds like), doesn't matter what you do. Once the tires slick up, you are done. ANY tire can slick up and thats it. So I guess 1st off, drive smart. But you can do a few things to trim your car to cope with mud better.

1. turn off DSC (its a button by the air suspension). DSC limits throttle control. Usually good but for mud (and other terrains), you want some tire spin. DSC will prevent tire spin, so turn it off. On that note, let the tires spin and let traction control work. Now pay attention and if the car starts sinking, STOP. Spinning yourself down to the frame is bad. Refer to owners manual for turning on/off DSC. I did play with it on a few terrains and while its good for technical driving, in mud/sand (and I guess snow), you want DSC off.

2. Try reversing. Hey, sometimes it works. With TC and spinning tires, sometimes you can get yourself out of the mess you are in.

3. LOL old maxtrax. In all honesty, I'm not a fan and they don't work well on muddy hills. But once again, if you can reverse out, and put them under your front tires, they can work. Top tip: tie a piece of string to them and lay the string off to the side. Sometimes they get buried and that'll make recovering them easier. Or better yet, tie them to the nearest recovery point on your car and let the car pull them out. Side note: carry trash bags for these when you are done. They get nasty.

4. Remove the "slick" from the tires. Take your trusty shovel (or more like, a random stick you found) and try to remove as much mud off the tires as possible. This in conjunction with maxtrax might offer enough grip to get you moving and once moving, you are making progress.

5. Momentum. In mud, keep up your momentum. Don't lift the throttle, don't stop, keep going.

To be clear, none of this is the car's fault. Its just, bad terrain. Bad traction is bad traction.
thanks for all the tips and thorough response. I tried the reverse technique which helped a bit (about two feet) but then it got stuck. Tried flooring it forward and getting back onto road but it stayed in same muddy track and back to square one.

Will definitely do a better job assessing/walking the terrain before driving on it. I thought a little pull off from the road would not present an issue! However mud is mud, regardless if it is 2 feet or 2000 feet from the road.

I’ve seen the videos of what the D5 can do under capable hands/feet. It’s me and I need to educate myself.

And yes definitely need to add those trash bags!!!

The following users liked this post:
adiggett (01-03-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Question: Did you have DSC on or off? Standard is for DSC to be on, you have to press the button to toggle it off.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR Max
Question: Did you have DSC on or off? Standard is for DSC to be on, you have to press the button to toggle it off.
Yes DSC was on. Never shut it off. Only changed the different terrain modes (mostly in mud/ruts). In retrospect probably should have and also reduce tire pressure to mid 20s.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah next time turn off DSC and see what that does.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:37 PM
Mudding

[QUOTE=LR Max;806337]Yeah next time turn off DSC and see what that does.[/QUOTE

will do…thanks for all the help!