Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic engine response under mild load

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 05:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Erratic engine response under mild load

My Disco 5 (~9000km, Feb 2019) has an issue where the engine behaves erratically while under mild load (i.e. gentle incline). This occurs randomly and results in the tachometer swing up and down and the vehicle surging over a matter of several seconds. It only appears to occur on reasonable long drives on the open road and has never occurred around town. It is back at the dealer for the 3rd time as they have unable to find a fault. On the last occurrence the engine warning light came on for 2 days constantly but was off when I got it into the dealer. I have managed to get a short video of one occurrence that was moderately tame and have attached.

The vehicle had a crankshaft seal leak and so the transmission has been taken out previously and has the rear EGR temperature sensor replaced.

Has anyone experienced this issue or know what the problem may be?

Cheers

Andrej

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (708.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do people Think this site is indicative of land rover as a whole in general? People come to forums to complain...so do these complaints represent a large part of the new vehicles or are they the 5%? I know what my gut tells me.

as much as I want a new Land Rover, I might say screw it and only buy old models that have had parts and engines replaced that I know will last.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

This forum, the same as any other, is helpful for discovering common problems and sometimes causes or solutions that your dealer may not know about. Because much like review sites, people are more likely to take the time to complain than say everything is fine.

Go to a Lexus or Honda forum and you’ll see plenty of problems too, yet they have a reputation for reliability.

So I don’t think it’s necessarily representative, however patterns about certain issues are.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe we should institute a forum rule, whereby every negative post needs to be accompanied by a positive one? Positive posts can stand alone, on the other hand.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Back to topic. Is it the Td6 or Si6?

If it had an engine fault indicated the dealer should still be able to get the codes even if it is no longer showing. Do you know what the codes were or did the dealer plead ignorant? Even if the warning light doesn't come on the ECUs can still record warnings that may be useful to pinpoint were the issue is. I typically ask for the codes from the dealer as it is good references, dealers tend to play stupid not to give it out.

Nevermind from video it is a diesel, which one though?

Can't tell from the video as it can be many things, even a transmission issue may cause it.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2017 td6. During times of high boost the engine would go into reduced performance mode and then return to normal. I found the intake tube connection hose from the turbo was broken and didn't allow the retainer to seat correctly. Replaced the tube and retainer and have not seen the issue in 5k miles.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

Hi Andries. It’s a TD6

Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
This forum, the same as any other, is helpful for discovering common problems and sometimes causes or solutions that your dealer may not know about. Because much like review sites, people are more likely to take the time to complain than say everything is fine.

Go to a Lexus or Honda forum and you’ll see plenty of problems too, yet they have a reputation for reliability.

So I don’t think it’s necessarily representative, however patterns about certain issues are.
Hi. Normally I would agree and I have been extremely restrained on limiting the post to the current issue (there have been several majors). So in the spirit of the following post my last Disco (Disco IV SdV6SE) I had for 4 years from new and no major issues and it actually spent a reasonable time off road, unlike my new one.