Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Finally had a problem

In the era of the zombie apocalypse please take any whining sounds here in perspective.

The wife 2 weeks ago started getting the MMI blinkout thing. We are ready for our 15K service so I called and was quoted "a month" to even get to it. This is NOT Corona related as that is what they quoted on our first service I had done "just because" before a long trip back before 7.5K. And, BTW, no loaners available either. Made that mid April apt but this past week, the car just quit on her, completely DEAD. Nothing. So, I did get a free AAA haul to the dealer but then had to go get a rental car on my own. LR says they will reimburse at the end for up to 45 days and $45/per. I have not heard a peep from the dealer. I "hope" they got the vehicle. You cannot call the dealership anymore. Walser here in the midwest has been buying up dealerships left and right in recent years including ALL the dealerships in the Luxury Auto Plaza here in Wichita. When you call, you talk to Gladys or Bri likely sitting in their jammies up in Minnesota just answering the phone for Walser.

But, today, I got an email from the LR/Jag GM wanting to know if my recent service visit exceeded my expectations?

Gee, where to begin . . . ?? I, um, gave him a few pointers . . .

May have to risk arrest on our shelter in place order to drive over an hour to the dealer just to ask WTF if the GM does not respond satisfactorily or at all.

Hope you and yours are all doing OK?

Garth

Old 03-27-2020, 01:47 AM
Rock Crawling

For anyone that cares . . . our 11 mth old Discovery had a bad battery. Or that is the preliminary diagnosis. We get it later today.

What to do about the poor service? Short of driving to KC or OKC which I don't really want to do, not sure there is anything to do.

Just have to go elsewhere on the next vehicle. Service is a significant part of the whole luxury ownership experience.

Without it, might as well buy a Subaru like everyone else . . .

Old 03-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Never mind. It was NOT the battery after all. She did not even make it out of the dealer driveway and it died.

I'm thinking their so called service dept is service challenged?

We did get a loaner though this time . . .

Old 03-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Seems like they should test drive it after the repair. You can see where and when they drive it via your app on your phone.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

The ground wiring by the battery seems to be a common issue for many D5s. There is apparently an issue with the assembly in the factory and it has to be fixed by the dealers. Unfortunately I don't have the exact details, but that has been the case for most D5s that suddenly just died.

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The only real issue is that Land Rover is the largest piece of crap vehicle on the road and they should be ashamed of themselves with the quality product they produce...yet us morons keep buying them and won’t hold them accountable.

They should be as dependable as a land cruiser but they aren’t as dependable as my morning turd.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Time will tell. This is our first problem in nearly a year of ownership. We have had some kind of problem with every vehicle we have owned. A dealership with one service tech, questionable debug skills, and no loaners appears to be related to this dealership since I have not seen that complaint everywhere.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is the diagram of the ground connection by the battery. Apparently the terminal on the body needs to be replaced or remounted due to an assembly issue.

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Good to know. I will forward this.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Amazing how, thanks to forums like this and "Andries" members, we can tell our dealerships what to do. It turns out that the flaky battery ground was causing our grief. Unfortunately, they "forgot" to actually do the 15K service which is why I made the appointment to begin with. So, we don't actually have it back yet but perhaps tomorrow. Any bets on whether they will have done the wheel alignment and tire rotation?

Frustrating but we are getting there, me thinks . . . hopes?

Quick Reply: Finally had a problem