New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck! So this is the opposite of the false "Service Due" reminder! My strategy - and this is our 3rd Landy - is always get a loaner, so you're not inconvenienced with "service". And I tend to treat the loaner in a reciprocal manner to how I've been treated. Every time I've had a loaner - various xPace, Velars, Evoques - I'm reassured I made the right model choice.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Should have waited a few days. The wife made it 3 miles. MMI blanked out stopped at a light. Light turned green, the car would not go. Was able to idle across the intersection up into a strip mall. Then could not put it in park. Stuck in D. Numerous dash lights and warnings blinking.

LR got over there in about 30 mins but they could not call a tow truck, she had to. They left their GOPHER there with her car so she could come home. As she was pulling in clear out here where we live, her phone rang and the tow truck driver said she had to sign the paperwork, not LR, so she got to drive all the way back to town just to do that.

With the apocalypse going on I am really trying to be understanding but, as I said before, we got nothing but run around on our first standard service visit so this is a dealer/company problem, not due to Corona. I can tell by talking to him that their service manager was likely flipping burgers a month ago. Their ONE tech apparently does not know much either.

So, new rule, I will wait until [if?] we get our LR back and drive it a while before I update again.

Sad thing is, you have a tech laden vehicle with a high resistance ground much less intermittent, you are just asking to take out numerous control systems. Hard to know how much damage has been done?

Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh man, what a bummer.

Sounds like they messed something up. Almost seem the tech will need to retrace everything that they touched to see what may have been disconnected or damaged. Hope the dealer has a good experienced tech to trace this.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Junk. JLR is rolling junk off the lines today. If I won a LR at a raffle drawing I would feel terrible selling it to anyone but keeping it wouldn’t be worth the headaches.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Well step one was just to swap the terminal to copper [apparently]. Step 2 they actually removed paint and added a star washer.
So, before there was a steel bolt through a tin plated terminal bolted to a painted aluminum frame. Now a steel bolt through a star washer to a copper terminal through a star washer to bare aluminum.

But we have a vehicle back and so far so good.

As far as JLR being junk, I don't have enough experience yet to comment. We had an entire year and right at 15K of NO problems at all. I and more importantly the wife since it is her primary driver absolutely LOVES the vehicle. SO much better than the Discovery Sport she got [eventually] as her loaner. Though it was frankly much better than the GMC Acadia we had to rent from Enterprise on week one.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad they got it sorted.

My experience with strange and weird electrical issues on vehicles have always been to trace and check all ground wiring points.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Wife got a P2002 now. I "think" this is DPF related but not sure WTF it means . . . yet?

Old 04-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Wife got a P2002 now. I "think" this is DPF related but not sure WTF it means . . . yet?
This is what the code means, at least.
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2002

Old 04-29-2020, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I understand these are supposed to clear if it is just a "too many short trips" thing? I took it on a nice 75-80 mile cruise and it is still there. I would think it should have cleaned up the DPF by then. Other than being a tad more turbo lagged from a dead stop than usual [and usual as you know is not great], it seems to run fine.

Unfortunately, I called the dealer to see if this is serious or can wait and they are ignoring me. After our last [NOT] service visit earlier in this thread, I could well have said the wrong thing to the right person [or vice versa] to **** "them" off. Hey, I did not start yelling until they bothered to send me an email requesting feedback.

Um, they did not get 10 out of 10.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Still NOT getting any service from my dealer. They would not even assist with decoding the code and are still quoting a month for getting into service. That is NOT service. And, as I said before, this is not Covid related as it was a month to do our first standard service visit last year.

But, though it did not clear while I went on my extended ~ 80-90 mile drive, when the wife got in it the next time, it was gone. She forgot to tell me .

So, P2002 at least "can be" related to too much short driving although it is nearly 40 miles round trip to where the wife works from here where we live. You'd think that would be long enough? I suspect this is not over . . .

Quick Reply: Finally had a problem