New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time considering a Discovery, what is important to know beforehand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First time considering a Discovery, what is important to know beforehand?

Considering used, early Discovery 5s (or possibly an LR4) to replace a 2nd generation Toyota Tacoma. Recently had third kid and it was already starting to feel cramped as the other two grew. Looked at quite a few options in the past while, even before knowing about the newest one, and just struggled to find the right fit for me, and them. Been fortunate so far not really having to take all 3 of them somewhere at the same time but suspect I will have to starting in August so really trying to narrow down what I want. Specific to the Discovery what are things you all think are important for potential and new-owners to know about? It's hitting a whole lot of the boxes I want, but also a bit of hesitancy going from a known situation with the Taco to a complete unknown considering the Disco.

The following users liked this post:
tuna_disco (10-14-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

First thing to consider are your needs for the vehicle which you said are checking out
Second thing to consider are that disco's have windshield leaks
Third thing is the fuel economy and what engine you choose so the TD6 which is the Diesel gets really good fuel economy but the SI6 is not the best.
I love my 2019 disco its amazing for towing but if you want more towing get the supercharged V6 its really spacious in the third row compared to the Audi Q7 and the X5 and the offroad capability is unmatchable the articulation is the not as good as the jeeps but its super good
But it all comes down to you

Old 06-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Patience?

Old 06-25-2021, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Platinum American Express Card! If buying used, be sure you have a couple years of warranty (buy more if you must).

That said, these are super trucks: but read up on both (particularly LR4s with the V8 gas engine) to be aware of what to look for. This and other forums are good sources. Do the Car Fax thing; get as much of the service record as possible; buy from a very reputable dealer (or from independent near one to check it over); buy new if you can. Tell us where you are located (I wish everyone would do that).

Last edited by Jhartz; 06-25-2021 at 03:01 PM. Reason: I wanted to
Old 06-26-2021, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Get to know your shop service guys. We went from an LR3 to a Sequoia (for towing and fuel efficiency) back to Disco Sport then a Disco TD. We honestly tried to kill the Sequoia 230,000KM fast driven all over the PNW. 7 bikes not uncommon, always with 2 x 70LB dogs, skis, 35' travel trailer. Temperature ranging -40C to + 40C. 100% confidence. We love how our Disco TD drives however it and the previous Landy's just don't inspire that confidence due unreliability. And I've heard the Tacos are even more bombproof than the Sequoias.

Most folks I see go from a Taco to a 4Runner. If you're a pick up guy, the new Tundra is coming; I quite like the work F-150 Hybrid I've been borrowing, now I think about it not unweird given Ford bits in many of the Landy's I've owned. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:42 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, I would not recommend a new discovery over some many other reliable vehicles.
Reason is that out of my 5 Land Rovers, and my last currently 2019 Discovery, I will move on to another brand as these vehicles cost A LOT to maintain and they are always presenting issues with electronics and BRAKE ROTORS.

Warranty no longer cover brake rotors, even if you have a WARPED rotor at 1k miles...they will have you pay for it and it is a know issue with in special DISCOVERY.

Good luck,
Regards,
LCL

Old 06-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

43k miles on my brakes and rotors and at least another 43k left for sure.
135k on my LR3 rotors and they were still just fine.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I've never heard of warped rotors as a 'known issue' on the discovery - can you share more details?
I still have all my original rotors and pads after 46000 miles and 3 years. And not got to the low pad warning light yet

Old 07-01-2021, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

What is important to know is that you don’t need to buy one. Stick with Toyota, get an LC or a 4Runner.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:45 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
What is important to know is that you don’t need to buy one. Stick with Toyota, get an LC or a 4Runner.
Absolutely agree with you, I am sticking to my LR until end of 2022 and will go for a 4Runner 4Sure...

Th Discovery and other LR vehicles have several issues with warped rotors at very low mileage, in fact, I just returned from the dealer with a LOANER and my advisor told me and showed me data on that, also he told me that exactly 2 years ago, LR stopped providing warranty on rotors as the issue is at large, now owners are responsible for changing rotors and they will tell you (driving style is the issue, hard breaking while in high speed highway drive, when rotors are hot!) NOT GOOD EXCUSE, I drove trucks for living in the past and I hardly use any breaks on highways...

Cheers
LCL

Quick Reply: First time considering a Discovery, what is important to know beforehand?