Sponsored by:

Grinding tones under the hood at 1500 and more rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 04:37 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding tones under the hood at 1500 and more rpm

Hello.

Unfortunately, my LRD does not give rest. The general agent in Switzerland plays dumb and acts as if nothing happened.

My question does anyone know the problem or has anyone an idea what it could be.
Has anyone had a similar problem with another vehicle?

The following 2 videos about the problem:

videos 1

videos 2

I'm grateful for every hint.

Emil Frey Switzerland says - that is typical and normal for that model, they can‘t do anything, I have to accept it!

LRD 2018
Discovery / L462
3.0 Diesel

Old 12-21-2022, 01:22 AM
8th Gear

Really? No one might have at least an assumption?
Never seen or heard something similar to this one?

Old 12-21-2022, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I replied earlier but it fell through the cracks.
I suggest you get a mechanic’s stethoscope and that will assist you in locating the source of the noise. Harbor Freight for $5.

The following users liked this post:
darche (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 04:10 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
I replied earlier but it fell through the cracks.
I suggest you get a mechanic’s stethoscope and that will assist you in locating the source of the noise. Harbor Freight for $5.
Dear ponderosajack..

You might have seen the videos, and heard the sound?

My car is still under warranty, so l‘m not able to do anything my self, regarding to this issue. My problem is, that the mechanician (Land Rover Switzerland dealer) says, that‘s normal for this car. He means, that sound is not strange and has to be accepted.

On the other hand, I don‘t have any skills in fixing such kinda problems 😅

I just thought, somebody has faced already a problem like I did.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The only abnormal sound I heard was at 33 seconds, 35 seconds and 37 seconds of the 2nd video but I think that was probably some sort of electronic chime because it repeated at 2 seconds intervals and sounded like a chime to me.
I really heard nothing unusual during the 1st video or first 33 seconds of the 2nd video.
If you do have abnormal grinding tones from under the hood I couldn't hear that on the videos, sorry.
If you think you have abnormal noises, I still think using a mechanic's stethoscope will help you locate the sources.
I know you can't get one from Harbor Freight but ask at your local stores or google it or Amazon.
In the old days people would just put the handle of a long screwdriver in their ear and touch the tip to various components to locate the source, but it's hard to see what you are doing unless you have an eye on the side of your head.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:19 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
The only abnormal sound I heard was at 33 seconds, 35 seconds and 37 seconds of the 2nd video but I think that was probably some sort of electronic chime because it repeated at 2 seconds intervals and sounded like a chime to me.
I really heard nothing unusual during the 1st video or first 33 seconds of the 2nd video...
Let's have another try..
Maybe you can here it here - this is the video that the garage (official dealer & mechanician) has sent me, to compare it with my car:
Sorry, my english is not so good, to be able to explain it the right way. Is it a grinding, yes it sounds very mechanical, id seems to be a part of the system, which is being moved by the v-beld (or how ever it's called in EN) that you can see on the video. As the cam, moves closer, you can clearly hear it and it seems to be in the same rhythm like the belt itself.

Thank you in advance for you time.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No need to apologize for your English skills. I have no non-English skills myself.

Yes it sounds a bit noisy but I don’t know if it’s abnormal. That mechanic’s stethoscope is perfect for something like this. It can’t be used on a moving part but if put next to a moving part it will either sound smooth and quiet or very noisy and will show you if you have a bad bearing in a pulley.

The following users liked this post:
darche (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle