New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?

Wondering if anyone has used and recommended a certain one? Better performance, mpg, quicker throttle response? Can one tune the engine to use less def and to not quit if it runs out?

Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I have not but there's a group of guys that already have the 3.0l from ford and are working on it. Green Diesel Engineering. I had the 3.0l eco diesel for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They aren't out to max everything but to make it better. For instance the JGC was shifting too early so the high torque and low RPMS caused the engine to lug and over time lead to a lot of main bearing failures. These guys fixed that. Not only did it shift much better but it took 2 seconds off the zero to 60 and felt like an entirely new machine. They're working on it for the ford but it should be the same engine and worth shooting them an email for.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Haven't personally tried it but they've been messing with this engine before the Disco 5 existed so might be worth looking into.
https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/5609/

Old 09-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
Haven't personally tried it but they've been messing with this engine before the Disco 5 existed so might be worth looking into.
https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/5609/
That is a lot of good reviews from TD6 owners of D5s, almost seems odd to have that many on a vehicle with so low volume sold. If they are legit I would love to hear from an owner on this forum, seems like a really nice addition to the TD6 engine. Though that company does have a pretty good track record for tuning devices.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Velocity AP has a fantastic, proven, tune for the JLR TD6.
They have been tuning JLR vehicle for ages, and are the factory Aston Martin race teams tuner as well.
If that doesn't speak to ability, not sure what will.
I will be tuning my 2019 D5 td6 when it come in this year.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jaguardoc504
Velocity AP has a fantastic, proven, tune for the JLR TD6.
They have been tuning JLR vehicle for ages, and are the factory Aston Martin race teams tuner as well.
If that doesn't speak to ability, not sure what will.
I will be tuning my 2019 D5 td6 when it come in this year.
can you point to it? I’m digging around and don’t see it.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling

I found one for the RRS 3.0l which I’m guessing is the same setup. Can this ZF transmission really handle 600ft/lbs of torque? That’s a hell of a jump. What about for towing a 5000lb boat/trailer?

Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Well I can’t find it listed on the wiki but if it’s the zf 8-70 (the same one in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Range Rover 2012+) it can apparently handle 700ft/lbs. If it’s the newer 8-75 then it bumps up to 750 so looks like that’s actually within limits. 200ft lbs per liter of engine is a hell of a lot of torque though. I’m almost scared to think about it.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling

VelocityAP has confirmed the engine/tranny combo of the RRS 3.0l tune will work just fine with the Disco 5 td6. Need to give them year model so they can send the right method for install. I’m uncertain what it would take to flash it back if heading into the dealership. Thule the tranny is designed to handle up to 700ft lbs I’m not exactly certain how that transitions into usability as far as towing goes. While within torque limits maybe prolonged high torque loads could cause issues? The Range Rover guys have been raving about how it made their machine brand new. If I pick it up I’ll write a review.

The following users liked this post:
giddy-up (09-18-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
VelocityAP has confirmed the engine/tranny combo of the RRS 3.0l tune will work just fine with the Disco 5 td6. Need to give them year model so they can send the right method for install. I’m uncertain what it would take to flash it back if heading into the dealership. Thule the tranny is designed to handle up to 700ft lbs I’m not exactly certain how that transitions into usability as far as towing goes. While within torque limits maybe prolonged high torque loads could cause issues? The Range Rover guys have been raving about how it made their machine brand new. If I pick it up I’ll write a review.
I am curious about the removal of the tune as well if bringing to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Has anyone experimented with chip tuning a td6?