Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with lane keep

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 04:26 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with lane keep

Hi, I have all ( or most anyway from memory ) of the safety and driver assist functions set to ON, deep in the menus but would like some help here. With Lane keep or adaptive cruise not active on the the steering wheel and clearly no indications of such in the instrument screen, I'm curious to know if any other function of this car would just yank me from my lane position and suddenly flash a small red lane icon in the screen just as if LKA was on?

This happened to me with no cars in my immediate vicinity on the highway recently.

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2022, 07:45 AM
Drifting

So this happened again twice only a moment apart so I took the time to dig through the menus and found "Emergency Lane Keep Assist".
The manual states that it activates if it feels the vehicle is getting too close to the edge of the road, it will apply corrective steering and sound an alert in the car. ( can sense grass, mud, snow) Needless to say something's not working properly so I turned it off.

All three times there was snow on the ground but..
The first time it happened I was in the middle lane.
This time I had recently merged onto a HW and was in the right lane and again a few seconds later as I was leaving the HW.
I can accept an overactive sensor or something but not sure if it's a bigger issue as the was No audio alert in the car and on the last time it happened I also had my flasher on to leave the HW which should normally disable lane keep.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't think LKA sounds an alert. It just nudges the car back into the lane. And if it has gone too far out of the lane then a visual of a road comes up on the dash between the speedo and tachometer with the side of the road you drove over shown in red

I can't quite follow what the issue you are having is? Did it nudge you because it thought the snow was a road marking line? Or did i miss the issue?

Old 03-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Drifting

HI and thanks for chiming in.

Yes, LKA works as you state without an alert and exactly as it should. My LKA system is OFF when my issues occurred. My car has Emergency LKA (ELKA) that according to the manual is when the vehicle senses you're about to deviate from the roadway, ELKA should have an alert.

1st time, 2 clear pavement tracks in a sea of snow = I got pulled left from clear tracks.
2nd time, light snow but no coverage on road with snow banks about 8-10 ft. away on the shoulder = got pulled left into middle lane & then, with flasher on got pulled away from exiting highway

Last edited by gcap; 03-03-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's odd. I have no great explanation for that. I don't know if emergency lane keep us a new feature - I've not heard of that. But even that, that doesn't sound like it working right
Can you turn off the emergency one too? If so, try that. Else would go talk to dealer

Old 03-03-2022, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Yes odd, which is the reason for this post.
I am already in talks with the dealer and LR for issues on this new car and wanted other owners opinion if this could be properly explained or another issue to add to the long list.

Thankfully it can be turned off in the pivi menus.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Let us know what you find

I do know that the cameras and sensors can get snowed and iced over them in bad weather and that can impact functionality of driver assist features. Same with the parking sensors. True on all cars

Look fwd to hearing the resolution.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:41 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but curious to know how you and others find the LKA feature from a daily use perspective? On my 2018 HSE Lux, it does not feel very refined at all as it allows the car to get too close to the line before intervening and then yanks you back in somewhat sharply. Are there any settings or adjustments or sensor calibrations that might affect that intervention?
I ask because i drove a loaner car the other day (2021 Audi Q5), and its lane assist would keep me centered with subtle corrections and didn't let me get that close to the line. Felt very natural if you were to take your hands off the wheel before it prompts you to hold the steering again. Def not the case with the Disco as its functionality feels more like an emergency intervention and not a refined assist with constant adjustments.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I also have a 2018 HSE Lux. I find it works very well - I haven't felt it as jerky. It takes a bit of getting used to as it's an unexpected nudge. But I find it very usable.

Note that it is as you describe - a driver assist feature to correct the error of drifting out of the lane. Ie it only activated if you are crossing over the lane marking. Newer systems which are closer to autonomous do lane centering - that's more like a driver assist feature. I'm guessing that's the one you had on the Audi. It's a different thing. Helps you drive vs intervenes for an error

Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Yes, it's definitely not steering assist that can work very well on some cars.
When I first received my 22, lane keep was downright dangerous with extreme sharp steering compensations but suddenly it became much smoother and acceptable. I can now use it for long highway drives. I discovered later that the ota sw had been updated. not sure if it was that or coincidence.
I'm guessing your 2018 has latest software installed.

Quick Reply: Help with lane keep