Help with tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022 | 04:27 PM
|
4wd Low
Question Help with tire selection

Hey everyone!

Happy holidays!

I need help to choose new set of all season tires for 2018 Discovery HSE.
Currently have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV-4X4 All Season 255/55R20 (110W) and 36K miles - tires can last another 3-6 months probably, living in NY area.
Tirerack has Goodyear at $448 each for 110 W, which is what I have (came with the SUV), and also 110Y for $494 and both have treadwear at 240.
However, my LR dealer said that instead I should get which he believes to be better tires - Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 255/55R20 (110Y), and Tirerack doesn't have 110Y, but has 110W for $347 each with treadwear at 600.

What are your thoughts on this? Its $100 difference, and I don't drive 120 plus mph

Thank you!

Old 12-17-2022 | 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Personally I don’t believe that higher speed rating is needed for an SUV unless you plan on high speed driving. And that higher rating also wears out quicker. Check out Yokohama Geolander S/T G015. Mine ride quietly and smoothly and seem to wear well.

The following users liked this post:
feliksny (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022 | 06:21 PM
Drifting

I just bought a 2018 Discovery 5 and the dealer put on the Verde before they listed the vehicle. They are great so far. Feel very stable in heavy rain, quiet, and good looking. I'm like 300 miles in 😁

I came from an LR3 with BFG KO2s. I miss the aggressive look and all terrain capability, but I'm hardly off road and these are MUCH quieter. maybe AT one day...

feliksny (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022 | 01:24 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Personally I don’t believe that higher speed rating is needed for an SUV unless you plan on high speed driving. And that higher rating also wears out quicker. Check out Yokohama Geolander S/T G015. Mine ride quietly and smoothly and seem to wear well.
According to few sites, this tire is not avail for my SUV.

Old 12-18-2022 | 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by feliksny
According to few sites, this tire is not avail for my SUV.
You are correct, sorry. I run it at a 275/55R20 which is about an inch bigger than stock diameter.
I did see it as available in a 285/50R20 size which is only a couple tenths bigger than stock diameter but it is a half inch wider than my 275's.
Lot's of us run 275/55R20 because it's just a bit larger than stock, it's a very popular size for many vehicles, and it's widely available in many brands/models.
Some of us run with small lifts but many of us have posted that they run this size without any lift without any rubbing.
The 275 size I'm talking about will be about 3 percent larger/taller than stock and thus your speedo will indicate about 3 percent low (i.e. indicated 58 when actually 60).
If you are interested in a small lift, it will improve the look of your Discovery, and is extremely easy and inexpensive to do yourself. Some of us can do it without removing the wheels but if you do remove them it takes about 1 minute per corner to swap out the little bars that control the ride height (no tools needed but I use a golf divot repair tool and a shot of lubricant).

feliksny (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022 | 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Pirelli Verdes are decent enough tires. They won't last really long. 30-35K max. But, we don't get much better than that ever on SUVs despite regular rotation etc.

We got 46K out of the Yoko G015s, a somewhat mellow ATR tire. I'd buy another set. Since I could not sell them [for anything worthwhile], I decided to just put our Verdes that came on it back on to burn them up at the moment. I would like to try the new Pirelli ATR eventually.

The ONLY thing I've noticed about speed ratings is that tires do tend to be better made when they have to meet higher speed ratings. They have to be. And, in addition to their on the vehicle performance, there is also the amount of balance weight they require.

The original Pirelli ATR tire was a GREAT tire. I had H speed rated Pirelli ATRs on my 2009 Touareg that survived the Club Touareg Rally at Ouray, CO without any issues at all. Yet, they had GREAT street mannerisms for an ATR tire. Then Ford came along and wanted to put them on the F150 as built so [naturally] demanded them to be cheaper. We got the S and T rated versions that sucked! I also had H rated Nitto Terra Grapplers for winter and mountain trips on my Pepper. Loved those too. So GM or Dodge [or was it Jeep?] came along wanting them on their trucks and . . . lather rinse repeat on the Terra Grappler G2s. A friend had them on his truck and hated them.

You don't need a faster speed tire than H on this ride. T is arguably good enough. Just get XL load. You'll be fine. Some run S's. I don't. And, you should save some bucks over WYZ speed stuff you don't need [on this vehicle].

Last edited by canon_mutant; 12-18-2022 at 11:15 PM.
feliksny (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022 | 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm currently running Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my 2017.

It's not crazy expensive and has been outstanding both on and off road.

feliksny (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022 | 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Pirelli Verdes are decent enough tires. They won't last really long. 30-35K max. But, we don't get much better than that ever on SUVs despite regular rotation etc.

We got 46K out of the Yoko G015s, a somewhat mellow ATR tire. I'd buy another set. Since I could not sell them [for anything worthwhile], I decided to just put our Verdes that came on it back on to burn them up at the moment. I would like to try the new Pirelli ATR eventually.

The ONLY thing I've noticed about speed ratings is that tires do tend to be better made when they have to meet higher speed ratings. They have to be. And, in addition to their on the vehicle performance, there is also the amount of balance weight they require.

The original Pirelli ATR tire was a GREAT tire. I had H speed rated Pirelli ATRs on my 2009 Touareg that survived the Club Touareg Rally at Ouray, CO without any issues at all. Yet, they had GREAT street mannerisms for an ATR tire. Then Ford came along and wanted to put them on the F150 as built so [naturally] demanded them to be cheaper. We got the S and T rated versions that sucked! I also had H rated Nitto Terra Grapplers for winter and mountain trips on my Pepper. Loved those too. So GM or Dodge [or was it Jeep?] came along wanting them on their trucks and . . . lather rinse repeat on the Terra Grappler G2s. A friend had them on his truck and hated them.

You don't need a faster speed tire than H on this ride. T is arguably good enough. Just get XL load. You'll be fine. Some run S's. I don't. And, you should save some bucks over WYZ speed stuff you don't need [on this vehicle].
The G015’s are not super aggressive but have been rugged enough to do some true Jeep trails near Ouray with no problems or damage.
I ran 3 sets of Nitto Terra Graplers on my LR3 with never a problem. They did get a bit noisier on their last 10k miles. But I certainly didn’t like their G2 replacement and wouldn’t recommend it or buy it again. That’s why it’s not on my D5. What about the Discount Tire store brand? I used to like them many years ago but don’t know much about them now.

Old 12-19-2022 | 01:00 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
The G015’s are not super aggressive but have been rugged enough to do some true Jeep trails near Ouray with no problems or damage.
I ran 3 sets of Nitto Terra Graplers on my LR3 with never a problem. They did get a bit noisier on their last 10k miles. But I certainly didn’t like their G2 replacement and wouldn’t recommend it or buy it again. That’s why it’s not on my D5. What about the Discount Tire store brand? I used to like them many years ago but don’t know much about them now.
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric are $490, and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season are $370 but on backorder.

Old 12-20-2022 | 04:38 PM
|
4wd Low

It seems that responses are geared towards Pirelli vs Goodyear

Quick Reply: Help with tire selection