Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to re-center Discovery 5 steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:50 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to re-center Discovery 5 steering wheel

My 2018 steel spring suspension (stock) Disco 5 was drifting right going down the Road. I had the alignment done and it was barely out of alignment on both front wheels but they fixed it. Now it tracks straight but the steering wheel is slightly off-center when going straight. They said there is no way to just adjust the steering wheel itself, which I’ve never heard of before. Does anyone know if this is true, or have somewhere you can point me to learn how it’s done?

Old 02-24-2023, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Generally you can adjust them but it may not come out exact because on most vehicles the steering wheel interfaces into a spline and there is not guaranty that moving it one or two splines will get it spot on. The simple truth is this is corrected with the alignment. Take it back and tell them to do it right.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Generally you can adjust them but it may not come out exact because on most vehicles the steering wheel interfaces into a spline and there is not guaranty that moving it one or two splines will get it spot on. The simple truth is this is corrected with the alignment. Take it back and tell them to do it right.
This shop is a sub of the independent place I’ve started going to. They told the Indy there isn’t a way to adjust the wheel separately from doing the alignment. My alignment has been done and is tracking straight. The amount this steering wheel is off (pic attached) doesn’t seem like it would be possible without the alignment being way off. I don’t believe it’s not adjustable, which is why I’m looking into it. Other possibility is that something else is bent 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Ok, good luck then.

Old 02-24-2023, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Ok, good luck then.
To be clear, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just wondering how the car can be in alignment and this steering wheel still be so off if it’s not adjustable. Also possible the shop didn’t know what they’re doing (and it was already brought back once), which is why I’m learning.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

Have the shop center the steering wheel then adjust the tie rod ends. With the steering wheel centered the front wheels will not be in alignment with the current settings.
You need a better alignment shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
DakotaTravler (02-24-2023), New2LRinCA (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
You need a better alignment shop.
I think so. They’re the sub of another shop so I haven’t spoken with them directly, but this all seems pretty wrong.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
on my 2018 Disco I have the same problem ...the car is running strait ..but the steering wheel is also on the same position as yours ...

I'm curious to see the solution ...

The following users liked this post:
New2LRinCA (02-25-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Putting in the final update for anyone who runs into this themselves. The answer as mentioned in the thread was to center and lock the steering wheel then do the alignment (again). They use a device that attaches to the steering wheel to physically hold it in place while they adjust toe. It was a different shop that re-did mine.

My steering wheel is now a hair off to the left, but it was like that before, too. I think this might just be due to a little play in the steering so while they did lock it centered, it may just have a little variance by coincidence.

I still have drift with my Toyo Open Country AT3 but have put a lot of miles on them this year so it may be the way they’re wearing in. Keeping an eye on that, but the alignment is straight.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

My steering wheel is slightly turned to the left at highway speeds and requires a little force to keep it going straight. Annoying on long roadtrips. Perfectly straight in town and at slower speeds. The alignment checked out perfect. After some digging around on forums it seems the front lower control arms are a known wear item on the l405 - d5 is the same suspension design. Still waiting on a few parts to come in, but I will be replacing my front lower control arms soon.

Here is the forum I read on range rover forums. Page 5 has a couple people mentioning that the LCA replacement solved the steering wheel alignment issue.
https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/...rience.339663/

The following users liked this post:
New2LRinCA (03-05-2023)

Quick Reply: How to re-center Discovery 5 steering wheel