Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Remote - UNRELIABLE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InControl Remote - UNRELIABLE

I've had a HSE Lux D5 since September, and my InControl remote features have been garbage. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar trouble.

My app frequently reports incorrect car status. Sometimes it tells me doors are open or unlocked when they definitely are not. I sometimes can remote start/lock the car. Sometimes I cannot. The reliability is around 30%. When it fails, I get a generic error stating that "An error has occurred with remote lock/climate. Please try again later."

I initially contacted JLR about it, but after 2 weeks of run-around from them, I took it to my dealer. They worked on it for 45 days. They were able to consistently recreate the problem, but couldn't do anything to fix it.

The dealer replaced my telematics system, but that didn't fix anything.

After being without my car for a month, I took it back so I could drive it over the holidays. I'm evaluating my options under my local lemon law which provides for replacement/refund remedy in the event that an issue cannot be fixed after the dealer has had the car for 30 days. I'm most likely going to ask for a replacement, but am unsure if a replacement isn't going to have the same problems.

The reviews on the App Stores (Google and Apple) show loads of other customers who seem to have the same problems. What is the experience in this community? Is anyone having InControl remote troubles? I would think this would have to extend outside of the D5's and into the other JLR models across Jaguar and LR.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot Remote start the DV either. Car status shows normal but when I try to start it it says a window is open which of course it is not.
Haven’t tackled this yet since the car was already at the dealer for three weeks getting the AC fixed.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had issues with the 'Remote Climate' (i.e. remote start) but have, at least in part, blamed it on the cellular network (AT&T). I may be misunderstanding how the system works, but if it does use the cell network, than the poor cell coverage (AT&T is notoriously bad in my area) and my garage's location (a building with a lot of concrete and steel) are most likely contributing to the problem.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Caviat: I don’t own a new D5, but I am a pretty experienced Software and Services engineer by trade. The behavior that you’re describing is most likely nothing to do with your car but rather the software that JLR is running to support the service. The basic architecture is that the app communicates with the service (hosted on someone’s Cloud eg AWS, Azure etc) via cellular network, the service runs through a slew of security authentication determinations, then sends a signal to the car to perform the requested feature.

So so many steps in this architecture to go wrong....

The app could send faulty input
Cellular service could drop the service call
the service call could fail for multiple reasons
outbound cellular call could fail due to cell company
receiving hardware on car could fail (car not found)
validated service call receivers but hardware failure in the car on the desired function.

i have a similar problem with my adt home security system and arming/disarming using their app. Totally unreliable garbage.

For this type of solution, the devil is in the details. The architecture is easy but it’s hard to get the consistently high quality obtained by Amazon for its shopping cart and say the iTunes Store.

i’ll do some digging into how jlr is delivering this service and report back.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear

I have an HSE V and have had nothing but problems with the Remote as well. Same as you have described - faulty notices about unlocked or open windows - most of the time it just won't connect. 20% of the time would be an improvement. Dealer had for 10 days and said they had no problems. I doubt that, but figure they know it isn't the car, but the app and the service the app relies upon.
I had a car 7 years ago that cost half this much but the remote start worked without fail. I find it unbelievable that I now have a car I paid this amount for and a remote start that won't work. I live in a very cold climate, so this is a very big deal to me.
Any suggestions on what we can do?
I agree that this must be an issue across other models as well.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jswope
I have an HSE V and have had nothing but problems with the Remote as well. Same as you have described - faulty notices about unlocked or open windows - most of the time it just won't connect. 20% of the time would be an improvement. Dealer had for 10 days and said they had no problems. I doubt that, but figure they know it isn't the car, but the app and the service the app relies upon.
I had a car 7 years ago that cost half this much but the remote start worked without fail. I find it unbelievable that I now have a car I paid this amount for and a remote start that won't work. I live in a very cold climate, so this is a very big deal to me.
Any suggestions on what we can do?
I agree that this must be an issue across other models as well.
Can the dealer really not replicate the problem? Can't you just show them?
If they don't accept there is an issue when it is happening all the time then you need a new dealer. If they can see it, then it's their job to fix it!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If the remote uses cellular to send an authenticated signal to the car, then it makes total sense that this would be incredibly difficult to reproduce at the dealership.

some variant of rfid / proximity technology makes more sense for these type of functions. A cellular connection would be a huge system weak point.
(because the system would 100% not work if the vehicle was out of cell range)

Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok so from landrover’s site:

When using InControl services in an area of poor network coverage (e.g. remote, rural areas) the apps will display a pop-up when there is no available data connection for a requested function.

translation. This is not a replacement for a traditional remote start as it’s reliant on a data connection.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2018's are getting a 4G wifi connection, I wonder if that will help with incontrol remote? Obviously if there is no signal , nothing will help. Wondering if the upgrade on the vehicle's antenna will makes things a little better as long as their is some signal.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear

I don't live in a a remote area with poor coverage. I have 3G wi-fi in the actual car that works all of the time! I live in a metro area (Chicagoland). I am thinking of taking it back to the dealer again, just looking to find out if anyone has found some fixes or a dealer with real answers.

Quick Reply: InControl Remote - UNRELIABLE