New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Remote - UNRELIABLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

It’s not your car, it’s the backend service that handles authentication and then sends the signal to your phone.
the good news is that when Land Rover get their act together, the feature will start working correctly for everyone without work to the car.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It kind of defeats the purpose, but I've noticed remote start is more reliable if the cars been running recently (within say 30min.). I haven't played around with the theory much, it would make sense that there's a more recent connection to the service.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update. I've had a few instances where remote start hangs, shows no progress in the app (including an error that there's a delay in the network) only to find the car running when I go outside.

There are times where the app shows the remote start has worked and is running, but they are the exception.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:25 AM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought a new 2021 the incontrol app sucks and never connects or works, how pathetic for a company to invest in an app and not the key fob, the worst is my 2016 jag xf app expired and now they want 159.99 fee to download and use. Im not paying anyone to use the app ****.

The following users liked this post:
Alain2912 (02-06-2023)
Old 12-21-2021, 03:25 AM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

We bought a new 2021 the incontrol app sucks and never connects or works, how pathetic for a company to invest in an app and not the key fob, the worst is my 2016 jag xf app expired and now they want 159.99 fee to download and use. Im not paying anyone to use the app ****.

The following users liked this post:
Alain2912 (02-06-2023)
Old 12-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It's one of the reasons I didn't renew any of the "services" through In-Control when they expired.

Not worth the money for janky software. I don't need them anyway.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Telematics isn't a new thing (kinda my jam). I find the old app consistently starts the car accurately, even from watch, in the boonies when we're hiking & snowshoeing. The new app looks very nice however it has significant latency.

This whole thing hasn't been well thought out nor communicated to the channel. Our old Disco Sport still appears on my app which completely breaks every jurisdiction's privacy never mind safety regs.

I would gladly pay subs for services that make my life easier; Connect isn't that.

I think these are the challenges of a small scale albeit upmarket brand.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fix to Remote Start

Hello All,

I have a Range Rover Velar that was experiencing these same issues. What I did to fix the problem on my iPhone was go into the app in the settings menu and turn the Location on in the actual app. Now it works like a dream. It took me about 3 weeks and 2 trips to the dealer but I figured that out on my own. The steps are settings>remote>allow remote to access>location (click while using). That's it! Try the app now. Hopefully that fixed the problem. :-)

Originally Posted by Bradpr
I've had a HSE Lux D5 since September, and my InControl remote features have been garbage. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar trouble.

My app frequently reports incorrect car status. Sometimes it tells me doors are open or unlocked when they definitely are not. I sometimes can remote start/lock the car. Sometimes I cannot. The reliability is around 30%. When it fails, I get a generic error stating that "An error has occurred with remote lock/climate. Please try again later."

I initially contacted JLR about it, but after 2 weeks of run-around from them, I took it to my dealer. They worked on it for 45 days. They were able to consistently recreate the problem, but couldn't do anything to fix it.

The dealer replaced my telematics system, but that didn't fix anything.

After being without my car for a month, I took it back so I could drive it over the holidays. I'm evaluating my options under my local lemon law which provides for replacement/refund remedy in the event that an issue cannot be fixed after the dealer has had the car for 30 days. I'm most likely going to ask for a replacement, but am unsure if a replacement isn't going to have the same problems.

The reviews on the App Stores (Google and Apple) show loads of other customers who seem to have the same problems. What is the experience in this community? Is anyone having InControl remote troubles? I would think this would have to extend outside of the D5's and into the other JLR models across Jaguar and LR.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours works about 20% of the time. Useless crap.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:25 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

@rommelrommel which version of the app are you using? I gave up on the newer version (icon has white upper half) and use the older version (icon has green upper half) which works 100% for me. Older version looks clunky however remote start works & comes with a watch app. YMMV.

Originally Posted by rommelrommel
Ours works about 20% of the time. Useless crap.

Quick Reply: InControl Remote - UNRELIABLE