Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Updates Failing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default InControl Updates Failing

Hi Everyone! New to forum and first time Land Rover owner.

We bought a 2019 Disco 5 and for most part love it. The only complaint i really have is the infotainment system is maddening! I do IT for a living so my patience for buggy technology can get the best of me, but i've spent hours upon hours trying to update the system from 18C -> 19C.

I've read every forum post i can find and cannot seem to find anyone with same issue i'm having. I've already been to dealer and show'd them how to use Topix and check that updates are enabled and available. They seem confused in general...

When i check for updates i am presented with 19C as available, so I hit install and download begins. I've gotten to the point where i can see that the Disco downloads about 250MB and the update says is 217MB, so i can confirm it connects and downloads firmware fro servers.

After downloading it switches to ready to install and i click Install. In saying Installing... for about 15-20 minutes and then just disappears, never says complete or anything.

Then the update screen just goes back to Check for Updates, and you can repeat the whole 1 hour process again only to not install.

I've tried over cellular and wifi, i've tried 10 times over different days, i've unhooked battery and pulled fuse to infotainment system to force a full reboot, etc...

I've even called LR customer support only to get punted back to dealer that doesn't seem to understand computers at all.

Please tell me i'm missing something!?

The following users liked this post:
longtrip68 (05-16-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 04:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry - there's no trick. It should update pretty effortlessly, or you'll need your dealer to install it. My 2019 has done 2-3 OTA updates without any issue.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fleet2jeep
Hi Everyone! New to forum and first time Land Rover owner.

We bought a 2019 Disco 5 and for most part love it. The only complaint i really have is the infotainment system is maddening! I do IT for a living so my patience for buggy technology can get the best of me, but i've spent hours upon hours trying to update the system from 18C -> 19C.

I've read every forum post i can find and cannot seem to find anyone with same issue i'm having. I've already been to dealer and show'd them how to use Topix and check that updates are enabled and available. They seem confused in general...

When i check for updates i am presented with 19C as available, so I hit install and download begins. I've gotten to the point where i can see that the Disco downloads about 250MB and the update says is 217MB, so i can confirm it connects and downloads firmware fro servers.

After downloading it switches to ready to install and i click Install. In saying Installing... for about 15-20 minutes and then just disappears, never says complete or anything.

Then the update screen just goes back to Check for Updates, and you can repeat the whole 1 hour process again only to not install.

I've tried over cellular and wifi, i've tried 10 times over different days, i've unhooked battery and pulled fuse to infotainment system to force a full reboot, etc...

I've even called LR customer support only to get punted back to dealer that doesn't seem to understand computers at all.

Please tell me i'm missing something!?

Mine did similar when I bought it new. I ended up having a bad SIM card...I bet you do too. They had a bunch that were malfunctioning.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All very standard I’d say. A big update like this is better done for free at the dealership. They tell me it takes hours and doesn’t always work first time for them. “Dot releases” are ok to do OTA, although I think I’ve only ever had one,

in general the informal Kent system is maddening, unless you just listen to FM or a CD. If you use (as I do) bluetooth and Apple CarPlay then you’re in for some real fun, and obviously there’s no fun in it at all! whatever version I’m on now if considerably better than the previous 5 or 6 versions I’ve had in 18 months. It’s much better but still annoying from time to time.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Teamedition
All very standard I’d say. A big update like this is better done for free at the dealership. They tell me it takes hours and doesn’t always work first time for them. “Dot releases” are ok to do OTA, although I think I’ve only ever had one,
I certainly know from this forum that it's a mixed bag of results for many; however, I recall going from 18C to 19A OTA with no issue. I think that was the first OTA and a lot of folks who had problems were on something older than 18C, though.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

I've had dealer do them at annual service and always worked fine for them. System has improved a lot in 18 months

TeamEdition - how are you using Bluetooth and CarPlay? I thought it only works on a cable? I use it a lot (by cable) and it works perfectly. My only gripe is there isn't more control over the screen layout and choices - but that's an Apple issue. I use waze and Spotify all the time.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Not to Bogart this thread but do updates reset all your personal settings? Sirius channels reset/changed. Favorites on the radio changed. Her phone was no longer paired. All the speaker settings that I set up for her changed. etc. Or was some moron just messing with the wife's system when it was in for service? Unrelated, her driver display was changed too.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Not to Bogart this thread but do updates reset all your personal settings? Sirius channels reset/changed. Favorites on the radio changed. Her phone was no longer paired. All the speaker settings that I set up for her changed. etc. Or was some moron just messing with the wife's system when it was in for service? Unrelated, her driver display was changed too.
Updates do not change any of your settings- no.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
They may have done some hard reset on the infotainment system. I had some SW updates to different modules at the last service and had to set the IP to the display settings, etc.

No help on the SOTA, as mine worked after a few tries. Was a lot slower that I expected given the size they claim for the updates. Used the home wifi for the update, but ours does also work with the SIM network access.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have done a couple of map updates, some take an hour or so to upload to a thumb drive then another 1/2 hour in the car while it's running......Not the best system in my opinion.....

Quick Reply: InControl Updates Failing