Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack pad adaptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Jack pad adaptor?

What kind of jack pad adaptor do I need to jack up a D5? I have a pinch-weld adaptor but I'm not sure if that will work or not. Going to pick up my Discovery tomorrow assuming I can work a deal on my trade, and would like to swap tires before I even get home.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

You need a jack with a lot of height as the suspension travel is enormous! And a pretty sturdy one as it's heavy

I don't use a pinch weld adaptor on mine - there is a vertical metal plate at each jack point but quite a bit wider than a pinch weld so not sure adaptor would work. I find the jack saddle mine came with (round plate with a cross shape on it) holds perfectly. Actually v easy to jack and change wheels.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Note that if you have factory running boards the jack points are the front and rear running board mounting brackets.
The trick is after you place the jack and lift, there's no place to place a jackstand (which I personally don't use when just changing wheels since I don't get underneath).
But I've found, if I jack the rear running board bracket very high, then it raises the front wheel off the ground also and I can fit a jackstand under the front running board bracket.
Then I remove the jack, and repeat on the opposite side and remove the jack.
I now have both front wheels off the ground and on jackstands.
Then, I can raise both rear wheels by the rear differential and put jackstands at the rear running board brackets.
But it's a balancing act - if you raise the back too much it can make the front wheels go back on the ground. All depends on your lift height with the jack and jackstand height.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds a bit precarious! I do them one by one as I have separate wheels for winter.
Agree on the axle stands - I usually put one underneath just in case the jack fails. But on this vehicle it's not clear where to put them as the under members are mostly covered with plastic trim. Was much easier on Lr4 which had tons of visible structural elements
Has anyone found a good place for axle stands without the running boards?

Old 04-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

• It’s not precarious. It’s rock solid. There’s a spot on rear suspension towards front of rear wheel sort of near the running board mount that is somewhat usable.