General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's a good JACK for Land Rovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's a good JACK for Land Rovers?

I'm looking for a good portable jack to keep permanently in my Landy D2 just in case I get me'self a flat tire.

Anything you'd recommend? (I'm not rich, so nothing too pricey please...)

Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

The stock red jack with the cradle is one of the best jacks available. Lots of people without Land Rovers look for the Rover jack to carry.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:39 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The stock jack is a good one. One didn't come with mine when I bought it. I have a Norco 12 Ton bottle jack. It works fine for lifting axles. If you want, you can add a cradle. The one SWAG makes is nice, but if you want it on the cheap, there's Chinese twelve ton jacks you can put a piece of channel on.

I use my bottle jacks (I also have a 20 ton Norco that came with my shop press I found on Craigslist) for lifting at home. A floor jack is so much more convenient. I was really tempted to buy one, but decided I could take a few extra minutes and save the money. I do have some good (Napa and OTC) jack stands at home. Jacks stands are worth the spend.

Obviously the bottle jack won't do well lifting the bumpers or frame, nor would a floor jack. I carry a 48 inch Hi-Lift, with a Lift-Mate. I wouldn't use it for changing tires, but it could be useful to lift a wheel, just not for changing it since the Lift-Mate holds the wheel. It's probably not long enough to lift the chassis far. I used it once to take some weight off a wheel so a tire that had broken its bead could be reseated. But even if it was a 60 inch, I wouldn't feel good about lifting the chassis with it. It can be terrifying to have a Rover four and a half feet up in the air on a Hi Lift.

It's nice to have a vehicle lift, but I don't. When I installed my suspension, I just lifted with the bottle jack and jack stands, and stacked blocks under them to raise them. It can work to jack up the axle, then put the stands under the frame, and lower the axle. With the wheels off the axles, you can lower them even closer to the ground, which means you don't have to lift the chassis so high.

The point being, if you get a good bottle jack, it's not just good for keeping in the car and changing tires. It can do almost all the jobs you'll have. All you really need besides is jack stands, which you'd want no matter what kind of jack you might use.

Last edited by binvanna; 02-20-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

A torin brand 2 ton bottle jack can be found on Amazon cheap and fits in the S.tock location. The stock jack is also really good. My preference out of the two, really. You can find used ones on eBay. I'd recommend one out of a P38 because those were never stored on their sides or in the heat.