Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR no road side assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Default JLR no road side assistance

Let me start with the statement that this is my personal experience. Not bashing JLR. In fact, I do believe that LR capabilities are equal to none (almost) …when it works.

So, what is this about? The Land Rover much touted Road Side Assistance. Let me tell you – there is none.

What happened? over the week end I was far from home, like 1200 miles far. I got the dreaded CEL light. No big deal, it can happen to any vehicle. As the vehicle is under 10 k miles, and I “have” road side assistance, I called the number on the app. The operator for the road side assistance is a 3rd party. OK, many other manufacturers do it the same way. I asked the Road Side assistance rep. if they can tow me up and drive me to JLR shop. This being on a Saturday afternoon, they were all closed, and none in a 100 miles distance. I was then told that they would take me “somewhere” of my choice for an upfront fee of 125$ and no more than 100 miles, and thereafter 5$ / mile.

I said… ok. Can you take me out of state (Atlanta) where I could wait over the week-end and see a dealer on Monday?

I was told, no. “We don’t travel out of state” ( I was in a different state at this point).

Still thinking that I was talking to someone that represents JLR, I asked if there is a carrier partner, or someone else that would do it. They told me that only the dealership where I bought the vehicle can decide that, after they call JLR N.A. and get an approval (!!!) – so I would have to call the dealer myself.

Dealer had no idea, never heard of such thing. And probably true.

Needless to say, I had to do my own arrangements in the end.

This morning I called JLR N.A. and explained the situation. I was very politely told that “…it is not us, we contract this to a 3rd party” and that I will need to call them to solve this matter - …”is there anything else I can help you with?”

So, basically if you expect any kind of help while you may be suck on the side of the road, then – don’t. Not from JLR at least. Get AAA, or anyone else. Even your phone provider will be better, but not JLR.

Before LRs I had Mercedes. That vehicle was a never dull moment. Every month a new defect. Full of surprises. However, the customer service was out of this world when I got stuck on I75. They really went above and beyond. Home delivered for 400 miles and they waived all the charges.

Whomever said that JLR was a boutique car, was so right.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

I only have used the free roadside assistance that is provided with most automotive insurance companies, for free.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In the UK the experience is totally different, the EU Assistance when I had to use it recently was also good, if not frustrating as they only ever did one task at a time, so separate calls for Recovery, Mechanic, Taxi, Hire Car, Taxi, Repatriation Flights, Car Recovery back to UK etc.

Needless to say my issue was seized engine, still waiting for the car to come back to the UK, should be here this Thursday, then looking to swap to a P400e RRS due to the lack of confidence in the SDV6 engine.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

OP posted the same rant on the D5 forum. Someone's pissed.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nerve64
OP posted the same rant on the D5 forum. Someone's pissed.
Ya' think ?

Yes, I have a Defender and a Disco 5. So, as I have 2 JLR products I shared across these 2 forums.
It is not a rant. A rant is something unsubstantiated. This is my personal experience and a note for people still believing that JLR is there for you when you need it.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 06-14-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, they killed the SDV6 - and in all honesty is not just JLR, it is a coordinated effort to force you into electric, making people think that is the holly grail.
The road side assistance which was out of this world, over 5 stars was the one from the Mercedes. Now, the vehicles were utter crap. Every month had a new surprise and something else broke.
Thanks God for warranty and excellent service.

Best of luck to you with your car.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Yes, they killed the SDV6 - and in all honesty is not just JLR, it is a coordinated effort to force you into electric, making people think that is the holly grail.
The road side assistance which was out of this world, over 5 stars was the one from the Mercedes. Now, the vehicles were utter crap. Every month had a new surprise and something else broke.
Thanks God for warranty and excellent service.

Best of luck to you with your car.
The P400e is only a hybrid, if we had the fuel prices the USA has I would consider a big petrol engine, unfortunately we don't and with it being over £2 a litre in the UK right now a big gas engine is not really an option

Fingers crossed the new engine cost will be covered by LR UK, expecting the LR Extended Warranty to reject it from what I have been told but then that LR UK will pick up the bill, then it will be sold and replaced!