Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease End Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lease End Procedure

Just got the Lease End Soon tri-fold card in the mail where I have to get with some third party inspection company and then I have to do this and that before this and that, etc. Then told me I can take it to "the dealer I bought it from" or to another dealer I can find at LRUSA.com to find another dealer in my area.

When I leased my Pepper the dealer did all that for me. Then we sat down and they explained all my options, walk away, buy the residual, CPO, ext warranty, etc. etc.

Are you all getting the same thing?

Last edited by canon_mutant; 01-07-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Just got the Lease End Soon tri-fold card in the mail where I have to get with some third party inspection company and then I have to do this and that before this and that, etc. Then told me I can take it to "the dealer I bought it from" or to another dealer I can find at LRUSA.com to find another dealer in my area.

When I leased my Pepper the dealer did all that for me. Then we sat down and they explained all my options, walk away, buy the residual, CPO, ext warranty, etc. etc.

Are you all getting the same thing?
My experience with JLR lease end - early mid 2021.
I got the same letters, and when called to find more details I was told that there was a "disposal fee". And then there was an inspection fee - one time, and then this, and the other ( e.g. must make sure you have OEM tires in pristine condition, etc.)
At that point I decided to go to CarMax for a free evaluation - to see what can I get for it.
Initially I thought they will just give me whatever is owed, and no stupid "disposal" fees.
To my surprise after their inspection they made me an offer on the spot, valid for 7 days. After the close the lease, and paid the residual, I got a check, my part, for almost 12k $.
Next day my car was on the lot for 10k more than they paid me. Absolutely crazy, but it sold in less than a week. So, we are talking about a car that was 3 years old, and 36k miles. Basically was sold by CarMax at 2000 less than original MSRP.
Insane, but good deal for me.
These days is seller market ! you can make money by "buying it" and not giving it back to JLR.
I put those money against the next LR lease.
Don't give it back to JLR. Sell it !
You will make more money, and they will take care of all the stupid paper work.
I do not have any incentive with CarMax, or get compensated, but hey paid top dollar compared with ANYONE else out there. Try others as well, who knows, they may get you a better deal.
Best of luck to you !

Note: forgot to add one other thing. If you initiated your lease through Chase, be aware that your residual value, is NOT the purchase value. They will charge you more for the purchase.
But, if it is not Chase, you may be ok.... I think.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 01-08-2022 at 12:22 AM. Reason: notes
The following 2 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
1979rover (01-08-2022), angelboing (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

We would like to buy the residual except every time I need service, help, or now this, LRUSA and certainly my particular dealer are just "beyond suck" at anything.

It's sad. Really is. This has been a great vehicle. Still only those 2 problems plus the cracked replacement windshield nonsense that my stupid service dept caused.

Thanks for the replies though.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, I did not do ANY of the "packet of nonsense" lease end procedure we got in the mail. I just went in on our last week here and said "what are my buyout options?" Initially, our dealership here that has sucked so badly at service, did not know anything about CPO anything or extended warranty. I said, I'll come back on Friday. Today, suddenly, they have both. Go figure.

Now, it cost about $5K but it extends the warranty out to 7/100. With only 10K left on ours, and a couple of weird vibrations just the past couple of weeks I have yet to diagnose, it was a good peace of mind. Minus the DP, we will be paying about $100/mth more to own but we will own it. Book value was nearly $10K more than residual so I could not afford to just walk away. Plus, without diesel or an EV that will run 500miles, there is nothing else I want to own at the moment.

Note to self: We have a REAR sunroof. After 3yrs and 40K miles, the wife and I discovered it by accident as we were leaving the dealer. I just hit the wrong button.

We about rolled out of the car laughing. We got an upgrade, sweetie!

Be gentle . . . we're old!

Last edited by canon_mutant; 03-26-2022 at 01:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by canon_mutant:
1979rover (03-27-2022), angelboing (03-29-2022), dinkeldorf (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 04:00 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Brilliant, made my day! We're in the same boat, 13MO left on our 19 TD SE, waaaay under on miles and book value much higher than residual. We might hold on until there's a BEV that can do the same range so Ima think about the Forerunner rack & some others toys I've been denying myself.

It's not just the JLR dealers being dinks. We have a PHEV due back in a month, the book value 50% higher than residual. They just don't like not having the cards in their favour. It's a sellers market.

Good call on the extended.

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Note to self: We have a REAR sunroof. After 3yrs and 40K miles, the wife and I discovered it by accident as we were leaving the dealer. I just hit the wrong button.

We about rolled out of the car laughing. We got an upgrade, sweetie!

Be gentle . . . we're old!

The following 2 users liked this post by dinkeldorf:
1979rover (03-27-2022), angelboing (03-29-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 11:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

friends- i've decided to buy out my leased 2019 discovery Td6 (29K miles) but am considering outside financing through my credit union vs what the dealer is offering. now my local dealership is pushing the extended warranty (with different coverage tiers) very hard... and since i would like to keep my car for at least another 3-4 years, is the LR extended warranty the way to go, or can i get by with a 3rd party warranty? i purchased the ford ESP warranty for my 2006 LR3 and put it to good use after i bought out that lease.

i have a week to decide but as of now, my credit union has better APR and i could probably roll in any extended warranty into that financing deal. i want to avoid the excessive dealership fees and charges (adding about $2K to the buyout) but i don't if that's possible if i need an inspection for the warranty. can i avoid my local dealer entirely and go through chase or LR financial, or even an out-of-area dealership? any help/advice is appreciated!

Old 07-07-2022, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

@angelboing - here is my previous experience with CPO: it was worth every penny. Why ? if you have an issue, you don't have to call a 3rd party company in a remote village in New Mexico, or South Dakota. It has to be done by any JLR dealer, and that is all. Now ... will it cover like factory warranty when the vehicle is new ? No. No extended warranty does that. But, it is a very good insurance in my humble opinion - especially that you have a diesel, and more so, being a JLR vehicle.
To give you an idea how good it is: I got an engine replaced under CPO. Long story (for another time) but it saved me about 21k ! Not bad for a 3500 $ purchase.
I had warranties sold by the Credit unions, and they are worthless.... a total ripoff. Buy hey ... they are cheap when you buy them (for a reason).
One question for you: who is going to CPO your vehicle at the lease buyout, your dealer ? Most dealers would sell you a CPO'd vehicle, but will not CPO a vehicle coming out of a lease - yours. Make sure that they can CPO your vehicle, and not sell you a "dealer warranty" ... which may be a third party. There is a big difference.
Anyways, best of luck to you.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 07-07-2022 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (07-07-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd be cautious on through the dealer warranties. It's not a CPO. And it's not a warranty. They are just reselling you a 3rd party product like you can buy yourself (with less commission). It has nothing to do with LR and just depends how good the underlying contract is. Personally I'd shop around to someone reputable and buy a good one if you want it. If it looks too cheap - it is.... It's just a game of averages - if it costs a couple of thousand dollars it means on average they only plan to pay out 1000 (net of commissions and costs) - else they wouldn't make money. So it just depends how likely they are to pay out.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (08-01-2022)