New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Discovery 2018 Diesel - items to look at/ask/check out?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 03:22 AM
Mudding
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I’d be curious to hear on JLR replacement policies in a few years’ time in North America, once the vehicles are somewhere around 7-9 years old and (one might assume) beyond all regular and extended warranty coverage.

In Europe, for diesel D4/LR4, the replacement of engines seems to range from “won’t cover at all”, 30-80% contribution to fully paid by JLR replacement… depending on country, dealer/customer relationship, whether it was always serviced at authorized dealers, phase of moon, etc.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

ahhhh, I wondered why one of the only differences between the F150 and the D5 is the crankshaft (also oil filter housing)

Old 09-02-2022, 10:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You can read more about my problem here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...62-td6-111766/

But long story short, my fuel pump was leaking and needed to be replaced at 40k miles, I was barely able to get it covered under CPO, but they tried hard.

Additional context: this engine uses the same belt driven Bosch CP4 fuel pump as apparently literally every diesel vehicle on the planet now does. There ARE class action lawsuits against bosch about premature pump failures, so it may be an issue further down the road. Seems like it happens on the LRs, dodges and jeeps more than the Fords and the smaller displacement engines.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, it is an odd feeling looking to buy something knowing the possible crankshaft problem...
I am taking my time to fine the right car. I loved driving the diesel - cant deny that, the feel of that high torque was awesome.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:36 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeman
ahhhh, I wondered why one of the only differences between the F150 and the D5 is the crankshaft (also oil filter housing)
How do we know the crankshafts are different? I do know the F-150 has a engine oil dipstick ... I'm pretty jealous of that.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

do the replaced engines get a different crankshaft? There is a TSB on this, and the engines of a few thousand D5s appear to have been affected. Mine was not in the TSB. But I assume the repair was new crankshaft prior to failure? Or was it an engine replacement?

Old 09-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anastasios11
do the replaced engines get a different crankshaft? There is a TSB on this, and the engines of a few thousand D5s appear to have been affected. Mine was not in the TSB. But I assume the repair was new crankshaft prior to failure? Or was it an engine replacement?
Hi @anastasios11
can you please provide a link to TSB? is it possible to know what VINs are in there?
Thanks,
Ivan

Old 09-18-2022, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Think I'll be getting quotes on extended warranty when our time comes as were thinking of buying our 19 TD SE out.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Islavov give this link a try as JLR have moved their service records to the cloud over the last few years:

https://osh.landrover.com

Old 01-29-2023, 09:28 PM
Drifting

for better or for worse
I bought 2018 Discovery Td6 Lux, 54K miles. Took it to the first family trip and everyone loved it. Did get the 25.5 mpg with it fairly loaded, so that i would take a good thing. I was feathering the pedal and i think this is as good as it would get. Not sure if it fuel economy can tell me about the engine condition and tuneup overall - what MPG are you getting on highway?
Out of warranty, obviously My lender offered extended basic basic powertrain warranty which I am thinking of purchasing just to ease off the thought of the infamous crankshaft failures...
I hope for some trouble free miles
Thanks,
Ivan

PS: DEF QUESTION
I have the DEF Refill warning "1000miles left, refill 3 gallons" or something like that. I have been trying to figure out:
- can I use any DEF? I bought me two boxes of Peal AddBlue from Lowe's. I see, on the box there is also "AddBlue Premium", is premium just a hype or something I should consider?
- All info I find online, says "top off" with two OEM bottles (the ones that screw to prevent leakage etc), and then still take car to dealer for a full refill. Is the dealer trip really necessary?
- I am sensing, if you overfill it may cause problems so I am getting it is safe to add the amount it recommends. I am thinking to add the recommended 3 gallons and call it a day?...
But, I would wait first for a comment or two in here - thanks for comments

Quick Reply: Looking to buy Discovery 2018 Diesel - items to look at/ask/check out?...